TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Low Oil Pressure Light

So occasionally when. I first start my 07 SGT I get a short alert on the dash panel for Low Oil pressure. This just started I haven't changed the oil or made any changes recently. Oil level is good so I'm not sure what is going on? The car is running fine and the stock oil pressure gauge is working well. Any thoughts or suggestions.

What sort of oil pressure are you getting? It's normal for the oil pressure light to come on momentarily when the car is started, unless you have some sort of pre-oiler installed to maintain pressure while the engine is off, as it takes a second or two for pressure to build, then the light should go off, if it doesn't, you've got problems and should shut down immediately!

Bad sensor, clogged oil pick-up/passage, low oil, etc., can all cause the light to come on, but definitely requires diagnosis if it's more than a couple of seconds! I had a Dodge Durango that seized an engine due to a intermittent clogged pickup - the light would come on, I'd shut down and check everything, then restart and it would be fine. Took it to three different dealerships trying to solve the problem! At least when the engine seized I had records and the engine was replaced under warranty - turns out that particular year of Durango had a problem with improper fitting intake manifold, amongst other things!

Sam

If you have the key turned to the on position before you actually turn the engine over it will display the oil pressure warning. I have the Ford GT push-start button on mine and if you have the key powered on for any amount of time before you fire the engine it displays the warning. There's nothing wrong with the oil pressure it's just not getting a signal while the ECU is powered up and you are seeing that message after the engine starts.

If you have the key turned to the on position before you actually turn the engine over it will display the oil pressure warning. I have the Ford GT push-start button on mine and if you have the key powered on for any amount of time before you fire the engine it displays the warning. There's nothing wrong with the oil pressure it's just not getting a signal while the ECU is powered up and you are seeing that message after the engine starts.

You sir are the winner! I installed a push button start and after some research last night I found a thread on another forum that addressed the issue. Evidently if you wait to push the button it interrupts the power to the sensor momentarily which causes the low oil signal. Now I know so I can relax.

• 1 month later...

I can only assume you have the 'start' button.

The warning is due to this, I found out after 3 days of searching.

It somehow interrupts the power to some components (I assume for security reasons) when you press it, so your oil pressure's power is momentarily interrupted, which is why you get the warning. If you look at the gauge while this happens, you will see that it drops to 0 the moment you start your car (because it doesn't have any power), and then after 1-2 seconds it starts to work and the warning disappears.

Archived