TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Shelby Mustang Gt350 To Get 5.2-Liter Flat-Plane Crank V-8

Moderator - I don't see a thread for 2015 and up GT350 so please move this to another location if necessary.

Can some explain what this "flat plane crank" stuff is all about?

Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 to get 5.2-Liter Flat-Plane Crank V-8

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1409_ford_shelby_mustang_gt350_to_get_5_2_liter_flat_plane_crank_v_8.html

So am I to assume this is like a flat eight, similar to horizontally opposed Boxer engine Porsches and Subarus? I frankly enjoy getting into my 2012 ZR1 and its' traditional pushrod V8, compared to my 2013 GT350 S/C Coyote, it is more predictable under acceleration when driving fast. The peaky Coyote, with 5 gears before 1:1 takes a lot more attention to not hit the rev limiter and get shut down. I have never liked the Subarus and Porsches with those flat engines, not much feel for me, also more difficult to drive for me. Not sure what this flat crank means, but sounds like something I might not like.

So am I to assume this is like a flat eight, similar to horizontally opposed Boxer engine Porsches and Subarus? I frankly enjoy getting into my 2012 ZR1 and its' traditional pushrod V8, compared to my 2013 GT350 S/C Coyote, it is more predictable under acceleration when driving fast. The peaky Coyote, with 5 gears before 1:1 takes a lot more attention to not hit the rev limiter and get shut down. I have never liked the Subarus and Porsches with those flat engines, not much feel for me, also more difficult to drive for me. Not sure what this flat crank means, but sounds like something I might not like.

No, it's not a horizontally opposed engine. Under the hood it will look just like the 5.0 V8. If you click on the link, you will see a diagram of the crank. The crank itself has journals which are in a flat plane, but the engine itself is still a V.

Here's a really good page that has pictures and animation which helps.

http://www.projectm71.com/Cross_FlatPlane.htm

My friend lives right next to the proving grounds. He said about a year ago that he started hearing some very interesting sounds coming from within. He said it sounds awesome. Yes, it does make a noise that is completely different from today's coyote.

Thanks, that clears it up, all that flat crank stuff was confusing on a V8. I would be interested in the HP and Torque curves on the dyno, that would show me much more about how it compares, or doesn't, to a pushrod V8 and the Coyote, ones I am familiar with. These chainsaw type engines are not for me.

No V8 "burble" :( but... more HP, more efficiency, less mass, lower center of gravity...could be interesting....

edit - Thanks for answering for me!!

No, it's not a horizontally opposed engine. Under the hood it will look just like the 5.0 V8. If you click on the link, you will see a diagram of the crank. The crank itself has journals which are in a flat plane, but the engine itself is still a V.

Here's a really good page that has pictures and animation which helps.

http://www.projectm71.com/Cross_FlatPlane.htm

My friend lives right next to the proving grounds. He said about a year ago that he started hearing some very interesting sounds coming from within. He said it sounds awesome. Yes, it does make a noise that is completely different from today's coyote.

Thanks for posting Jeff.

Archived