TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Model Car Replicas

gotoatz

Hello all,

Has anyone here done a model car replica of their own? Would love to see some Pictures of the finished product.....

I bought a 1/12 scale 2010 Shelby, since I could not find a 2011. Should arrive today. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or such?? I am kinda shocked at the price for building models now, compared to decades ago when I used to do it quite a bit.......

Mike

I did one when I had my 2009 GT 500 in 1/24 scale. No one makes a 2011 'vert model so I'm sol on that. If you think car models are expensive you should check out the higher end armor models.

Yeah, that's why I ended up with the 2010. Close enough..... ; )

Will you be putting Razors on your model?

What an excellent question.

I just asked if anyone knew where I could get a set of 1:18 scale Razors over on the "diecast" thread. I have a Terlingua Mustang that has them, but I don't want to take the rims off that model to modify another one.

So anyone have any leads on where to buy scale model rims?

Z-man

Well, I have been searching on line for Razor wheels for models, with no success so far. Also need the side and window scoops. Does not help either that the model I bought is a 1/12 scale......

Worse comes to worse, the 2010 model I bought has the stock non SVTPP rims which are also five spoke like the Razors, so I may need to do some "mods" on the model pieces. We shall see....

Mike

I'd love to have one of mine. Closest I can find is one by Greenlight that does a 1:18th scale 2010 GT500 in Sterling Gray/Satin Silver, sadly I have a convertible but I don't think it's realistic to find one.

Autoart has some gorgeous ones if you want to spend some more coin. I'd get one but they don't have my colors.

• 2 months later...

So two months later, and after many delays due to home remodeling projects, I finally found some time to work on the model I bought way back. It is a 2010, so I had to modify a few things to the 2011, and some things just could not. Searched all over for Shelby Razors, but no good. I found one guy on line that had Cragar's, but they really would not have made that big a difference. So I stripped down the stock 2010's and went with a grayish / gunmetal on those....

Still looking for side and window scoops, and need to get some very fine black pinstriping tape. Modified the standard 2010 stripes to the 2011 SVTPP stripes......

Be kind, haven't built one in about 35 years or so.......

IMG_2344_zpsd44dfc61.jpg

IMG_2328_zps7e7e3661.jpg

IMG_2330_zps1311a1dc.jpg

IMG_2345_zps3efc0f2a.jpg

IMG_2346_zps37d1e9e5.jpg

IMG_2347_zpsb5023e64.jpg

IMG_2348_zps752564f2.jpg

IMG_2349_zpsa91b9885.jpgIMG_2350_zpsa990609a.jpg

IMG_2351_zpscc63a63f.jpg

IMG_2341_zps1b3c6d3f.jpg

Looks great!

As far as the side scoops and Razors, check on-line for rapid prototyping services. Guys with SLA or other such machines will be able to 'print' you parts as long as thet can get a good input file. That means they will need to 3D scan a full sized part to create the 3D model, then uplaod that to the rapid protoype machine.

Check out a site called "Shapeways" Here is a link to a guy who made 1:12 scale rims and separate tires for an Audi R8 model.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/192155/wheels-r8.html?materialId=6

God Luck!

Z-man

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!! I just finished up this 1/24 scale Bullitt. This is a Revell kit that is actually a metal body kit. Not a complex model, took about 6 or 7 hours with paint and such...Now i need to pick up the matching metal body Charger. I got the Bullitt on EBay for 9 bucks......

IMG_0008_zpsf1bd2791.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsd3eeff7d.jpg

IMG_0009_zps54bc4a98.jpg

IMG_0013_zpsf8806b17.jpg

So two months later, and after many delays due to home remodeling projects, I finally found some time to work on the model I bought way back. It is a 2010, so I had to modify a few things to the 2011, and some things just could not. Searched all over for Shelby Razors, but no good. I found one guy on line that had Cragar's, but they really would not have made that big a difference. So I stripped down the stock 2010's and went with a grayish / gunmetal on those....

Still looking for side and window scoops, and need to get some very fine black pinstriping tape. Modified the standard 2010 stripes to the 2011 SVTPP stripes......

Be kind, haven't built one in about 35 years or so.......

IMG_2344_zpsd44dfc61.jpg

I have the same kit. Actually, two of them. One to build and one to keep sealed in the box so I have a "NIB" edition too.

I have some left-over Kona Blue paint from when I had my quarter window scoops painted and was planning on using it to paint my 'build' model using it and my airbrush.

FWIW, I saw some universal wheels at a Hobby Lobby the other day (in the "model" dept.) but I couldn't tell you what scale they were or what type they are but you might want to check a Hobby Lobby near you to see if it has them. I'm also assuming with the Internet at your feet, you should be able to find *something* close to a Razor.

Or like you suggest, make or modify a set to suit your needs.

I haven't even opened my "build" model yet so I have no idea what is included. Are there different sets of wheels and stripes included?

Phill

I have the same kit. Actually, two of them. One to build and one to keep sealed in the box so I have a "NIB" edition too.

I have some left-over Kona Blue paint from when I had my quarter window scoops painted and was planning on using it to paint my 'build' model using it and my airbrush.

FWIW, I saw some universal wheels at a Hobby Lobby the other day (in the "model" dept.) but I couldn't tell you what scale they were or what type they are but you might want to check a Hobby Lobby near you to see if it has them. I'm also assuming with the Internet at your feet, you should be able to find *something* close to a Razor.

Or like you suggest, make or modify a set to suit your needs.

I haven't even opened my "build" model yet so I have no idea what is included. Are there different sets of wheels and stripes included?

Phill

I will check out Hobby Lobby. The closest I could get on line was a set of Cragars.......

The kit comes with only one set of wheels, as pictured on the box. Basically I took those and stripped the chrome off, which left the gray color....

As far as stripes, it does come with stripe decals, but they are the stock non SVTPP (wide) stripes. I had to scale them down and cut them to better model the SVTPP stripes.....

Mike

Looks great! I want to do the same thing with mine. Does the kit come with gray or silver stripe decals? How did you go about stripping the chrome off the wheels? I have both the 1:12 and the 1:24 2010 kits, and am planning on doing the 1:24 kit first to learn on. Also, one of the model magazines did an issue a few years ago with articles on how to build both kits. I think it was "Scale Modeler", but I will have to check.

Thank you very much. Actually, the kit comes with WHITE stripes. They are the wide stock stripes, so I had to cut them down for SVTPP stripe application.

As far as stripping the chrome, easy peasy.......dip the wheel in household bleach, and you can literally watch the chrome dissolve off the wheel or whatever part you are doing.......

Mike

Anyone know how to get those stripe decals made in silver?

Go to some place like Pep Boys and buy a roll of 2" silver stripe, cut to size. They have it in many different colors including carbon fiber (I bought a CF to make war stripes with).

Phill

Archived