TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Job Dead In The Water...

cormy

Ouch...sorry to hear about that. These projects always get off track somehow but I am sure you will recover.

If you do not mind, can you tell me how many miles you got out of the stock clutch (I assume its stock) and would you mind taking a couple of picks of the old one so I can see how much material is left on the disc? Was the old unit slipping?

Good luck!

Dan

By the way...excellent choice in color combination. My 2008 is identical.

sorry to hear Chris, sometimes old school is easier.... grsybtch had his swapped out in a day working alone on his recently repaired back (surgery in June). The only problem he encountered was the line to the slave cylinder!

Wish ya luck getting her going again!

Ouch...sorry to hear about that. These projects always get off track somehow but I am sure you will recover.

If you do not mind, can you tell me how many miles you got out of the stock clutch (I assume its stock) and would you mind taking a couple of picks of the old one so I can see how much material is left on the disc? Was the old unit slipping?

Good luck!

Dan

By the way...excellent choice in color combination. My 2008 is identical.

WV, I had 30,500 on mine ......no TSB

It seems the average for a stocker is about 12K and 30K is about the limit

However There has been guys getting close to 100 on their stock clutch........kind of a crap shoot :shrug:

WV, I had 30,500 on mine ......no TSB

It seems the average for a stocker is about 12K and 30K is about the limit

However There has been guys getting close to 100 on their stock clutch........kind of a crap shoot :shrug:

My 2008 just turned 12,000 miles and so far (knock on wood) no slipping. I am amazed as to how thin the pad is on those discs are. I am hoping mine is an outlier and can hang in there for several thousand miles more.

Thanks for the response,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Agree... while it sucks to pay someone for the labor, the clutches in our cars are not the same to replace as 10 - 20 years ago when things were simple.

Yeah..my mechanic friend who has many years experience broke the bad news to me...plus he couldn't even get to the hydraulic line on the throw-out bearing. No way to properly tip the engine to get to the 2 top bolts on the bell housing with out crushing something and no room to back it out and worse... try to get it back in straight.

I have to admit I had my doubts while removing the exhaust, starter, bracebar and driveshaft...

May try a couple local shops that seem to be on the ball first but not sure if Ford will want to install my McLoed into the car at there shop. Since it's not a Ford part...

• 3 weeks later...

After all the disappointments and delays, I finally took the car to Smith Ford and had them install the McLoad clutch. Job total was 6 hours ( 1 hour over book) for $660.

I now have a road worthy Mustang again. Still feeling it out since I wasn't able to drive it after installing the tune, pulley and intake.

I must say I am enjoying the fruits of my labor. Had to go easy for the first 500 miles or so (which was a hard thing to do). I must admit I was down on the car when I was going through the whole clutch ( and other stuff) ordeal but she's back in my favor again.

Everything seemed to go wrong all at once: clutch, radio, rim, tires..It's all fixed except for the body work which will have to come later. Feeling the pinch of all the bills coming due for all the parts and associated labor, but hopefully it will work itself out in the next few months.

After all the disappointments and delays, I finally took the car to Smith Ford and had them install the McLoad clutch. Job total was 6 hours ( 1 hour over book) for $660.

I now have a road worthy Mustang again. Still feeling it out since I wasn't able to drive it after installing the tune, pulley and intake.

I must say I am enjoying the fruits of my labor. Had to go easy for the first 500 miles or so (which was a hard thing to do). I must admit I was down on the car when I was going through the whole clutch ( and other stuff) ordeal but she's back in my favor again.

Everything seemed to go wrong all at once: clutch, radio, rim, tires..It's all fixed except for the body work which will have to come later. Feeling the pinch of all the bills coming due for all the parts and associated labor, but hopefully it will work itself out in the next few months.

What was up with rims, tires, and bodywork? Never heard any of that :shrug:

Congrats... Now go enjoy! :peelout:

Archived