TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question For Those With Custom Car Grills Inserts

inyadreems

Having an issue with the lower grill, I installed 4 tabs utilizing the double sided tape, 1 on each side and 2 on the bottom. This is the second time 2 of the tabs have come off and the grill is cockeyed. Has anyone found a good mounting solution? Did you find another location to strap the wire ties to? Looks like there might be a section of the inner front fascia that I can loop a wire tie around and skip the mounting tabs, but I need to take everything apart again to see if that is possible. Did you screw the 2 lower tabs into the fascia somehow and if so how did you get an angle drill to fit?

Take the whole front bumper off the car is the only way to really do it correct and that is even what the guy said that makes these inserts, might as well like I did because when the top engine area cover is off and the splitter there are only 4 screws left, now grab the top fender / bumper there at the wheel well and pull straight out and you will hear a sound of the tabs coming apart and she is off. The first time I did my 2010 I was skeptical but after doing it once when I did the 2013 no big deal. VMP Tuning also has a video on the site that shows an 08 GT500 which is pretty much the same as these getting the bumper off. Very simple once you do it once. Now you can see there are some tabs / supports at the bottom to use with holes in them and then anchor your points down and then also use clear silicone around these anchor points and let it dry overnight. Now zip it in place even and wala no issues.

I am going to drop the front splitter and see if I can secure the grille to some tabs or supports on the front bumper with longer wire ties. If not I guess I have to take the bumper off. The double sided tape just doesn't hold, or if I can find a way to screw to tabs that would be enough to hold it in place.

Bottom line you have to take the bumper off, take your time and it will install correctly. Is it a 100% perfect? No but I give the top a 95% rating and the bottom a 85% rating on install and looks, but keep in mind you have to get within 2 feet to even try and see any zip tie if you know what to look for and Shelby uses it so not likely there will be another coming soon. Shelby does leave the lower one out I believe. If you want it installed to last take off the bumper not a big deal at all and when it is off install LED fog lights from Raven Racing and could even install a fan cooled SC HE while it's open.

Archived