TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2Nd To 3Rd Shift Problems.

I've searched through the forum, but could only find info on loose fasteners.

So, my issue is the dreaded 2nd to 3rd shift during spirited driving that can't seem to find 3rd gear. I move the shifter slightly to the left and right but it has a heck of a time finding 3rd gear.

It's fine under less than spirited driving.

I know that earlier generation Mustangs had this problem, but it was related to all the rubber mountings used to keep the interior quiet from noise being transmitted through the stock shifter. That solution was to go to an aftermarket shifter, such as our Hurst shifters.

But, since our SGT's came stock with the Hurst shifters, that solution is excluded.

Anybody else have 2nd to 3rd shift problems during "quick" shifting? Or is it me? :shift:

I'm the original owner of the car. The transmission was replaced with about 5k miles under warranty for a strange noise coming from it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have had several S-GT ad regular 05-10 Gt's with the Tremec 3650's that have done this. It is the 3rd gear synchro. See if the Ford dealer can still cover this under warranty being that they put a transmission in the car before already. It depends on time and mileage since it was replaced. It is at least worth asking the dealer. Good luck.

Alex

Your problem results from the design of the remote shifting linkage that Ford uses. Second to third shift binding is the most common on these TR3650 trannys. During hard acceleration the external linkage tends to bind from the excessive torque between the motor, and transmission. That is why it works fine under normal acceleration, and binds up when you really get on it. There are a couple of ways to manage it.

First you could go with using a Kmember brace that has torque limiters on it. Link below

http://www.brenspeed.com/che7la.html

These torque limiters will not always work on cars that have added longtubes, or modified suspensions. Then you could use poly, or solid motor mounts instead. The trade off here is extra road noise, more so with the solid ones.

Most people I know with the early generation Hurst shifters still had this problem, but solved it when they went to a MGW shifter. I heard that the later Hurst shifters were also better at solving the problem. I originally had a Hurst in my GT, but switched to the MGW one within a year. It is a league ahead of the Hurst. Even after I switched to an aftermarket shifter, I still had a little bit of a bind at times. Once I installed the limiters it was all good. I had to change the limiters after extensive exhaust, and suspension upgrades, but I have aftermarket motor mount now. Still not problems shifting.

I gave the K member brace with limiters to my Brother for his Shelby GT, and his 2-3 shift problems went away.

If you really want to get radical / expensive you could go for the new T-56 designed specifically for the S-197. unlike the one that the GT500s use, it has no remote shifting linkage. Link below, with a good explanation of your problems

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/The_solution_to_2005-up_Ford_Mustang_S197_Shift_problems.htm

The links I provided are just two of the many venders who sell these parts

I was getting pretty nervous with mine at the drag strip. I usually power shift and that 2nd to 3rd shift could be dicey. I put in Royal Purple, which Tremec does not endorse, shifting got smoother but grinding on that 2nd to 3rd power shift got worse. After hitting a bunch of forums I put in Pennzoil Syncromesh which I believe is supposed to be the same as the GM Syncromesh, and have had great shifting since. It really does feel like your shifting through butter. Since it was only grinding with power shifting between 2nd and 3rd and not regular hard shifting I figured it wouldn't be warranteed. I always had hard shifting which could easily cause a missed shift but that's all gone now. Try the oil swap, it's cheap, then if that doesn't help try some of the other solutions.

You might try an aftermarket shifter such as Steeda Tri-ax (you can still use your hurst lever and ball), MGW, or Barton. I had the same issue with the stock Hurst shifter. I went with a Steeda at first and it was really nice. Then I heard about the MGW shifter and moved that direction. I love the MGW as it gives you the ability to adjust the throw.

The SGT Hurst is a nice upgrade over the stock Ford shifter but it isn't up to par with the Steeda, MGW or Barton. When I ran the Steeda I bolted the hurst shift lever to the steeda system so you could not tell it wasn't the stock shifter. With my MGW I got a shifter ball that was black with silver stripes which matches the car.

You might try an aftermarket shifter such as Steeda Tri-ax (you can still use your hurst lever and ball), MGW, or Barton. I had the same issue with the stock Hurst shifter. I went with a Steeda at first and it was really nice. Then I heard about the MGW shifter and moved that direction. I love the MGW as it gives you the ability to adjust the throw.

The SGT Hurst is a nice upgrade over the stock Ford shifter but it isn't up to par with the Steeda, MGW or Barton. When I ran the Steeda I bolted the hurst shift lever to the steeda system so you could not tell it wasn't the stock shifter. With my MGW I got a shifter ball that was black with silver stripes which matches the car.

I'll definitely check into that.

Thanks!!!

Archived