TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Door Paneling Peeling Fixed

Thought I'd add this thread (unless there is one already, but couldn't find it.)

Just fixed my door panel that was peeling off. The solution was Automotive Goop. It comes in a tube. I tried 3m spray and other spray adhesives and they don't work.

The goop is a little messy, but cleans right off incase you get any excess on the door. the stuff reminds me of modeling glue. It had the familiar fumes. Make sure you have area well ventilated. :drop:

When i tried the spray adhesive it was a hot and humid day. So i dont know if that was a factor or not.

i bought a cheap 2 inch wide paintbrush to apply to the goop to the back of the peeled vinyl. Just apply it right up to the top edge too so when you stick it back on the door u can take a putty knife to get the edge into the grove of the door paneling. i didnt have a putty knife so i used part of one of those wooden clothes pins. the end of them is pointy enough to push the peeled vinyl cloth back into the groving. just scrape off the excess as the goop oozes out of the edge of the vinyl.

You dont have to use a lot on the vinyl but make sure your thorough along the edges. doesnt have to be real thick. I barely used any from the tube. Probably since the vinyl was still a bit sticky from the spray i tried using from before.

after u get the vinyl back on, just massage it and keep wedging into the groving. After a few minutes it should hold. let it sit a while with windows down so it will air out the car.

• 2 months later...

I'll second that 0517. Hot Southern climate issue w foam cushion layer breaking down and separating they say. Mine finally began to come lose this past summer.

Chris is this something just for the 07/08's?

Rich,

Interesting that the topic shows up now. Recent SAAC meeting a member was asking on how to fix his 2005 Mustang GT and his wife's 2008 Shelby GT. Her SGT is in Texas with hotter climate that explains her having issues. His GT is always in the Detroit area.

Glad this solution got posted.

Tom

I have repaired both of my doors. The key is to rub away the excess foam layer. That foam layer is is what actually fell apart.

fatboy

Did you remove the foam layer like 0517 mentioned? If so, what is the best way to do this? My niece has an 05 Mustang which needs both panels repaired, and the drivers door on my car needs to be repaired and I want to do this soon.

Thank you.

Archived