TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Surpassed 20,000 Miles Today In Spectacular Fashion!

ViperNC

Had a couple meetings in ATL yesterday and in Jasper, GA today. I brought the '09 for it's first vigorous test with all the new mods from earlier this year and left Jasper today after lunch meeting to catch up with my wife in Highlands, NC at the Old Edwards Inn and Spa for a couple days of R&R with no kids. Drove up through Elijay and then turned South on route 60. Miles and miles of mountain twisties and then headed North on 180 back to 19. Then down the Richard B Russell parkway to Helen, Ga. Afterwards I made my way to Highlands passing through Sky Valley. Unbelievable 75 degree day with very little traffic. The roads were perfect and the '09 is hugging the corners and launching out of the apex properly. What a great way to celebrate the mile marker.

Only one issue today: I think I have an exhaust leak. The sound is coming out of the right bank when I get into the throttle and the supercharger spools up. Under no boost, you really don't hear it or at idle. No engine warning lights either after more than 100 miles of spirited driving. any of you guys experience this after headers?

Went out this AM and it's simply a couple of loose header bolts. Could turn with my finger. Hoping to find a socket set here at the Inn and tighten up prior to the return home. Still have lots of mountain miles left to enjoy.

It was an amazing day. Had not been on those roads since the mid 90's when we used to scream through the North GA mountains on sport bikes. I guess I'm lucky to still be here and be granted the opportunity to drive the roads again. Very nostalgic and wonderful scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been some discussions and interest about getting a few guys together for a South East fall foliage run. If we had enough takers, that could be fun. I'd recommend during the week though rather than a weekend.

Update: So I got some locking header bolts and new gaskets (burned the driver side gasket when the header bolts became loose). The car is back on the lift and we get to drop the k member (again) to do the job right this time. Man! There is zero clearance to get access to these header bolts! Got my Shelby billet racing oil pan going on as well as installing the rear diff over flow tank. Hope to get the '09 back on the road in a couple of days.

Archived