TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finding 5W-50 Oil

Gt50014

I can't find synthetic 5W-50 anywhere in Atlanta outside of Summit or a Ford dealership. I've tried all of the Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly's (they did have 2 quarts to be fair), and even Mustangs Unlimited. Nothing though.

If anyone is going to use an oil center like Jiffy Lube or another shop. the first question you ask is, "Do you have the correct oil and filter in stock for my car". This assumes that YOU know what the correct oil and filter your car requires. Make sure you tell them how much oil your car needs and make sure they write it down on the work order.

Keep in mind too that if your car is still under warranty, you can't use just any 5W-50 synthetic oil, you have to use Motorcraft oil to ensure continued warranty coverage for your engine.

No sir, that's just not true. Well, kind'a sort'a.

If a automobile mfgr. mandates a particular *brand* of oil they must supply it for free. As per the Magnuson-Moss Federal Warranty Act that is called a "Tie=in" and as I said, the mfgr. would have to supply it to the vehicle owner for free.

What they can do (and often DO do) is to require a specific SFI *rating*. The viscosity is a 'recommendation" due to the varying temperatures, climates and driving conditions in the USA but the rating *must* be followed to ensure the warranty is not voided.

And if I remember correctly (IIRC), the Motorcraft 0wt-50 engine oil that Ford Motor Company (FoMoCo) requires is only made by FoMoCo so in a round-about way, they circumvent the MM Act.

However, if a warrantied failure does occur and the Motor Company contends that the type of engine oil is to blame, the burden of proof lies in *their* lap, not yours. THEY have to prove (and PROVE is the key) that it was the reason for the failure. And that would be nearly impossible to do because there is no way in the world that just about *any* decent engine oil, regardless of the brand, viscosity or the rating would cause a catastrophic engine failure.

The other common myth that circulates is that you must use a Ford Dealer to maintain your vehicle and keep the warranty intact. That is totally false although widely circulated. In fact, you don't even need a registered Automotive Repair Facility to do the work, YOU can do it yourself and still maintain the warranty on your car.

The key is documentation and receipts. And be sure to note it in your owners manual if there is a section for doing so.

Phill

No sir, that's just not true. Well, kind'a sort'a.

If a automobile mfgr. mandates a particular *brand* of oil they must supply it for free. As per the Magnuson-Moss Federal Warranty Act that is called a "Tie=in" and as I said, the mfgr. would have to supply it to the vehicle owner for free.

What they can do (and often DO do) is to require a specific SFI *rating*. The viscosity is a 'recommendation" due to the varying temperatures, climates and driving conditions in the USA but the rating *must* be followed to ensure the warranty is not voided.

And if I remember correctly (IIRC), the Motorcraft 0wt-50 engine oil that Ford Motor Company (FoMoCo) requires is only made by FoMoCo so in a round-about way, they circumvent the MM Act.

However, if a warrantied failure does occur and the Motor Company contends that the type of engine oil is to blame, the burden of proof lies in *their* lap, not yours. THEY have to prove (and PROVE is the key) that it was the reason for the failure. And that would be nearly impossible to do because there is no way in the world that just about *any* decent engine oil, regardless of the brand, viscosity or the rating would cause a catastrophic engine failure.

The other common myth that circulates is that you must use a Ford Dealer to maintain your vehicle and keep the warranty intact. That is totally false although widely circulated. In fact, you don't even need a registered Automotive Repair Facility to do the work, YOU can do it yourself and still maintain the warranty on your car.

The key is documentation and receipts. And be sure to note it in your owners manual if there is a section for doing so.

Phill

+1. Well-said, Phill.

I can't find synthetic 5W-50 anywhere in Atlanta outside of Summit or a Ford dealership. I've tried all of the Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly's (they did have 2 quarts to be fair), and even Mustangs Unlimited. Nothing though.

Advanced carries Castrol, if they don't have it on the shelf they can order it

NAPA can get Mobil 1, but they have to order it, and it seems like most of the guys at the counter dont know that

Go on their website and order it for pickup at your local store and you can sometimes get it on sale for $5.99 a Qt

PS. Last resort......I have ordered from these guys:

http://thelubricantstore.com/engine-oil/mobil-1tm-5w50-6x1qt.html

Yea, I'm not going back to Gwinnett Ford and shelling out nearly $80 for the materials to do an oil change again. I'll order from K-Man's website again if need be. I used them back in the day with my old Excursion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as the actual oil is concerned it's manufactured by Esso for Ford. It's Mobile 1 5w-50. I'm sure Castrol is probably OK, but I might be worried if their formula takes into account the special sleaving in the motor. I use the Mobile 1 and an Amsoil Synthetic filter. - Amsoil doesn't make the oil otherwise I would use it. As far as Jiffy goes, those videos are years old and run by unscrupulous people. Your shop just happened to break the golden rule of checking if they had everything before draining- I'll bet they have learned their lesson.

One other quick point. If you think a licensed mechanic is doing your oil change at Ford you are sadly mistaken. They don't have time to do oil changes, they do the big money jobs. More often than not, it's the lowest man on the totem pole doing it - working on your pride and joy.

I just got an e-mail from NAPA and they have the Mobile 1 on sale for $5.99 a quart.

Is that Nationally or just locally?

Phill

You'll have to check your local store's site by entering in your zip code; just do a search for 5W50. It is a monthly special so I assume it's good until the end of September. My local store had a few cases in stock. I picked up enough for my next OC at that price last weekend.

• 1 month later...

So how long does the oil last at these prices?

6 months or 7500 miles is the recommended interval (which you'd generally want to follow to ensure warranty coverage). I hope nobody buys these cars expecting maintenance to be cheap :spend:

We local guys that need this oil just order it in from Napa. I've been using Mobil 1 and just order a couple cases to have around. Filters also. Then I go to a Mobil 1 quick change, provide all the materials for them and watch what they do every second. Cost 12 bucks, plus my own products. Way easier than getting a jack out, draining everything, replacing it, and then having to deal with the left over oil & bottles. It's fairly easy to change oil, and when I go in with the Shelby they are so in awe they barely wanna touch the car. My Mobil 1 place will even let me go into the pit and look under the car. I guess its all in the guys that work at the jiffy lubes etc....Some are capable places.

• 2 months later...

Archived