TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finding 5W-50 Oil

Gt50014

So I took my gt500 in today to my local jiffy lube for my first oil change, they love my cars and seem to be very cautious when working on them. They all loved the new car and were standing around drooling before they got started, here's where the story starts lol. They drain the oil and toss the filter before they realize they do not have 5w-50 or the filter, they had never heard of this oil. He pointed across the street at napa store and said I could go there and buy the oil, he would give me a ride. Long story short napa didn't have the oil, neither did orilleys or autozone...whoops. We called the ford dealership they said they did have it but the parts counter was closed, they said to come on in and they would figure out how to get it for me. I had to drive the jiffy lube managers jeep 15 miles to the nearest ford dealer and waited for them to figure out how to charge me $100 for the oil, then 15 miles back to jiffy lube. Finally got the oil back in the car, spent nearly 2 hrs getting the job done. Jiffy lube didn't even charge me for the oil change, that was really nice of them.

They did ask if I would lay some rubber out front when I left.....done :)

First of all, I would not take my lawn mower to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. If you do a little research on this and other related forums, you will quickly realize that the best approach is to change your own oil and filter. There are numerous stories of Ford dealers using the wrong oil or filling cars with the wrong amount of oil. The horror stories about quick change oil places (Jiffy Lube in Particular) are too numerous to mention. Get yourself some Race Ramps and change your own oil.

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/Experiences601-625.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm

http://jiffy-lube.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/

So I took my gt500 in today to my local jiffy lube for my first oil change, they love my cars and seem to be very cautious when working on them. They all loved the new car and were standing around drooling before they got started, here's where the story starts lol. They drain the oil and toss the filter before they realize they do not have 5w-50 or the filter, they had never heard of this oil. He pointed across the street at napa store and said I could go there and buy the oil, he would give me a ride. Long story short napa didn't have the oil, neither did orilleys or autozone...whoops. We called the ford dealership they said they did have it but the parts counter was closed, they said to come on in and they would figure out how to get it for me. I had to drive the jiffy lube managers jeep 15 miles to the nearest ford dealer and waited for them to figure out how to charge me $100 for the oil, then 15 miles back to jiffy lube. Finally got the oil back in the car, spent nearly 2 hrs getting the job done. Jiffy lube didn't even charge me for the oil change, that was really nice of them.

They did ask if I would lay some rubber out front when I left.....done :)

I buy my genuine Motorcraft oil filters at Wal-Mart and Castrol 5w-50 at O'Riley's Auto Parts along with Royal Purple ATF and gear lube.

Phill

First of all, I would not take my lawn mower to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. If you do a little research on this and other related forums, you will quickly realize that the best approach is to change your own oil and filter. There are numerous stories of Ford dealers using the wrong oil or filling cars with the wrong amount of oil. The horror stories about quick change oil places (Jiffy Lube in Particular) are too numerous to mention. Get yourself some Race Ramps and change your own oil.

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/Experiences601-625.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jiffy_lube.htm

http://jiffy-lube.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/

I wouldn't just lump all jiffy lubes together and say they aren't worth changing the oil in our cars. Without knowing this place you really can't judge it just by the name. it's very clean, very well organized, and they basically let me watch everything they do. That's why I'm comfortable taking all my vehicles there. By the way it's a mom and pop, all 3 of his sons work there. I watched them pour exactly 8.5 qts in and I bought the filter for the car. I don't need to do research to know I do t want to change my own oil if I don't have to.

I buy my genuine Motorcraft oil filters at Wal-Mart and Castrol 5w-50 at O'Riley's Auto Parts along with Royal Purple ATF and gear lube.

Phill

That's cool, boulder just isn't in to the 5w-50 I guess. I was shocked that none of the auto parts stores had it.

That's cool, boulder just isn't in to the 5w-50 I guess. I was shocked that none of the auto parts stores had it.

Hmmmm. I'm down in the Springs and I've found it at every O'Riely store I've been in. It was announced here on Team Shelby so it's a National item.

I'll double check the name of the store. I know where it is but not 100% sure it's O'Riely. Let me see if I can find it on google earth and I'll report back in a minute...

EDIT: It's Advance Auto Parts, not O'Riely's. Every one I've ever been in has it. But it's Castrol, not Motorcraft. The only place I know where you can get Motorcraft 5w-50 motor oil is the Ford Dealer

Phill

I definitely wouldnt take my car to Jiffy Lube no matter how nice and organized they may be. Its Ford dealer or myself. Your Ford dealer charged you $100 for the oil? Man how much were they charging per quart? How many quarts did you get? Seven? Did that amount also consist of a filter? Just seems like they may have ripped you off. I never come anywhere near $100 with seven quarts of Mobil 1 and Ford Racing filter.

But if you really want to take it to Jiffy Lube in the future, I would definitely make sure to take your own oil and filter.

And I also get my Mobil 1 oil from Napa. Try to get it when its on sale. Great deal!

Hmmmm. I'm down in the Springs and I've found it at every O'Riely store I've been in. It was announced here on Team Shelby so it's a National item.

I'll double check the name of the store. I know where it is but not 100% sure it's O'Riely. Let me see if I can find it on google earth and I'll report back in a minute...

EDIT: It's Advance Auto Parts, not O'Riely's. Every one I've ever been in has it. But it's Castrol, not Motorcraft. The only place I know where you can get Motorcraft 5w-50 motor oil is the Ford Dealer

Phill

Ahhhh, advanced auto parts, we did not check there. Thanks!

I definitely wouldnt take my car to Jiffy Lube no matter how nice and organized they may be. Its Ford dealer or myself. Your Ford dealer charged you $100 for the oil? Man how much were they charging per quart? How many quarts did you get? Seven? Did that amount also consist of a filter? Just seems like they may have ripped you off. I never come anywhere near $100 with seven quarts of Mobil 1 and Ford Racing filter.

But if you really want to take it to Jiffy Lube in the future, I would definitely make sure to take your own oil and filter.

And I also get my Mobil 1 oil from Napa. Try to get it when its on sale. Great deal!

My car takes 8.5 quarts, $97 for 9 qts, $6 for the filter. Everything in the boulder area is more expensive than anywhere else I've been so I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher than what others paid. Didn't have much choice, my car was sitting there without the oil. Funny how people are judging me for taking it to jiffy lube, wasn't the point of this thread and wasn't my issue (except they didn't have the oil in stock). At least with jiffy lube I can stand there and watch everything they do, at the dealer the car usually disappears around to the back somewhere and you can hope for the best. Question: do you think the head mechanic at the dealer changes the oil or do you think the low man on the totem poll does it? I worked at a Chevy dealer for years when I was younger, the guy that washed the cars also was the person that changed the oil...wasn't even a mechanic. You guys are hung up on a name, it doesn't disqualify them from doing good work. If I was here complaining about jiffy lube then judge me for using jiffy lube, but I'm not.

I started this thread so someone wouldn't find themselves in the same position for their first oil change. It's really easy for me to be prepared for the next one knowing what I know now. I probably won't do another oil change till it comes out of storage next spring anyways, so I have plenty of time to find it before then. I'll buy the filter and oil online or go to advanced if they stock it (thanks for the tip).....then I'm taking it to jiffy lube!!!!! Oh the horrors of the jiffy lube....I have 3 cobras and take them all there....oh no! Please don't kick my off the forum for that I really like it here! ;)

As I mentioned where I go they have the same 40 year old guy for ever I found jiffy turnover was high so switched to haviline

Exactly, doesn't take a genius (not saying your guys not a genius :) ) to do the job. Just needs someone who can unscrew the plug, unscrew filter, screw in plug, screw in filter, add oil. Of course mistakes can be made so I watch them, what I like about my guys is they LOVE my mustangs and one of them drives a stang, they are really careful and they don't care if I look over their shoulder while they work. They get it and aren't insulted by it. I was so happy with how they handled everything yesterday I was actually going to order them a pizza for lunch today, plus they didn't charge me so I feel a little guilty. It's not their fault they didn't have the oil, it's my car that has the odd oil weight.

Changing our own oil is the safest thing to do, I'm not arguing that. I don't want to, I don't have ramps, have nowhere to discard the oil without paying for that. Sure I could figure all that out....except I don't want to do it.

My local Ford dealer also offers a quicktime service and they only use Motorcraft oil and filters. I took my SGT there once and was very impressed. At that time, they even offered me the option of a Ford Racing Filter for $10 more. Since that is what came on the car, I did it. I was out the door for $47. I do like changing my oil myself as I am 100% sure what goes in and on but would use my Ford dealers services in a pinch.

My car takes 8.5 quarts, $97 for 9 qts, $6 for the filter. Everything in the boulder area is more expensive than anywhere else I've been so I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher than what others paid.

There was a old thread on this one and the vast majority paid $100 for Motorcraft Synthetic oil from the dealers. Phil Long Motor City charges that too. It's not out of line for Ford Dealers.

Phill

Funny how people are judging me for taking it to jiffy lube,

Come on now, they're not judging YOU. They're warning you about using Jiffy Lube. There a video going around Facebook right now about Jiffy Lube. A LA CA TV station did a investigation on them. 5 out of 9 Jiffy Lube stores they went to ripped them off for services they said they did and charged for but never performed.

I'll see if i can find the vid and link it here.

Phill

Question: do you think the head mechanic at the dealer changes the oil or do you think the low man on the totem poll does it?

At my dealer (Phil Long Motor City) the head Tech (SVT Certified) is the ONLY person they let touch my car, including oil changes. I went in one afternoon and the Service Manager called the guy at home and told him to come in so he could change my oil.

So YEP, I think the "head mechanic" at the dealer changes the oil".

Phill

If you have found a Jiffy Lube you really like and trust that's great, bring your oil and filter and save yourself the hassle. It is all about the people and how it is run. I used to take my truck and other daily driver cars to a Napa oil change place in town for the same reasons until one day when I came home in my F350 and found it a quart low. No big deal I filled it up. Then later that afternoon I took in another car to the same place, when I got home it was a quart low too. I called and complained and they were very apologetic. Seemed like a scam to me. After a few months I took my truck back there and they drained 22qts of royal purple transmission fluid because they didn't know the difference between my transmission and my 7.3 diesel oil pan. That was it I do them all myself now.

No way my gt500 goes anywhere but my garage for an oil change. You can stand and watch them do it at Jiffy Lube, but I can lay on the floor and watch it drain out. Even better :)

Come on now, they're not judging YOU. They're warning you about using Jiffy Lube. There a video going around Facebook right now about Jiffy Lube. A LA CA TV station did a investigation on them. 5 out of 9 Jiffy Lube stores they went to ripped them off for services they said they did and charged for but never performed.

I'll see if i can find the vid and link it here.

Phill

That's they way I'm taking the posts, helpful warnings not just for you but for all Shelby owners reading this thread.

I'm not sure I could heap the same amount of praise on a shop that made my car INOPERABLE, by not checking the parts inventory before starting the work, and then having the customer do the parts chasing for them.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Unfortunately for many J-L customers it doesn't work out that great for them.

Steve

I wouldn't just lump all jiffy lubes together and say they aren't worth changing the oil in our cars. Without knowing this place you really can't judge it just by the name. it's very clean, very well organized, and they basically let me watch everything they do. That's why I'm comfortable taking all my vehicles there. By the way it's a mom and pop, all 3 of his sons work there. I watched them pour exactly 8.5 qts in and I bought the filter for the car. I don't need to do research to know I do t want to change my own oil if I don't have to.

Well organized? They drained your oil and removed the filter without even checking the vehicle requirements.

One of the great things about this forum is the inputs and ideas you get from everyone. Some you may like and some you may not but it is always good to get the benefit of member experiences. Not everyone has their minds made up when they post something.

Nobody is judging you. I suggest the best approach is to thank everyone for their responses and constructive criticism. If you consistently go on the defensive, you may get no responses at all.

Back to the oil, I had trouble finding 5W50 too. None of the chain auto part stores near me had it in stock. I ended up getting Motorcraft from the dealer too. It was just over $100 with 10 quarts and a filter.

Thanks for the link to k-mansparts, I'll have to do that next time.

From time to time Napa has an oil sale, they don't stock 5w50 but will order it @ the sale price. (it was $ 5.99 or 6.99 / qt.)

None of the local auto parts stores stock 5w50 near me, Walmart doesn't either.

I do my own oil changes, the one time I couldn't, I took it to my Ford dealer.

I gave them 9 qts of oil & a filter, they put it up on a lift, ( I drove it in the bay ), I watched the oil change.

....................I was charged $ 9.99 for the work.

Well organized? They drained your oil and removed the filter without even checking the vehicle requirements.

One of the great things about this forum is the inputs and ideas you get from everyone. Some you may like and some you may not but it is always good to get the benefit of member experiences. Not everyone has their minds made up when they post something.

Nobody is judging you. I suggest the best approach is to thank everyone for their responses and constructive criticism. If you consistently go on the defensive, you may get no responses at all.

It's not worth arguing about but if you go back and look at th thread I said thanks several times. I wasn't offended actually, it was kinda funny to me. The first sentce of your post was something like "I wouldn't take my lawn mower there". Thank you for the advice

That's they way I'm taking the posts, helpful warnings not just for you but for all Shelby owners reading this thread.

I'm not sure I could heap the same amount of praise on a shop that made my car INOPERABLE, by not checking the parts inventory before starting the work, and then having the customer do the parts chasing for them.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Unfortunately for many J-L customers it doesn't work out that great for them.

Steve

That's cool, I just didn't think it was fair to lump every jiffy lube together and say they are all rip offs. They made a mistake by not checking what oil it had before draining it and I admit that, but they made it right and didn't charge me. They didn't expect to not find the oil at the three local auto parts shops near them, and neither did I. I wasn't thrilled with the way things went however they have changed the oil my other vehicles and I've always been happy with that. This won't happen again because I learned a lesson, a lesson I was posting so it hopefully wouldn't happen to someone else.

At my dealer (Phil Long Motor City) the head Tech (SVT Certified) is the ONLY person they let touch my car, including oil changes. I went in one afternoon and the Service Manager called the guy at home and told him to come in so he could change my oil.

So YEP, I think the "head mechanic" at the dealer changes the oil".

Phill

That's actually pretty cool but I doubt that's the case everywhere. I'm not sure they even have a svt mechanic at the dealership near me, if they do he doesn't get to work on many of them. Sports cars in general are scarce around here.

Archived