TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Performance Pkg Blew My Clutch Out....

cormy

As you recall from my previous posts, the car didn't seem right after installing the VMP pulley/idler, tune and intake.

I thought it was simple wheel hop but I guess the whole time it was burning up my clutch, thought something was up with the high RPM's spiking with a slight acceleration.

I probably put less than 10 miles on it since the upgrade, the car has 20,000 miles on it.

Well this morning it wouldn't go into reverse, and things went down hill from there. Now it barely moves I had to limp it the rest of the way to work and I smell smoke now. Doubt I will be able to drive it back home.

Did not expect this and am starting to regret the install. Yes, I know the factory clutches aren't great but didn't plan on replacing it... :spiteful:

Chances are your clutch was on its way out the door already and the boost in power simply shortened the timeline.

that was kinda my thought ..... I've heard others say that 2k out of a stock clutch was a blessing :shrug:

I'm about to turn 20,000. Knock on wood, it's still good to go. I think I have gotten lucky and have the updated clutches for cars built after 8/2008.

That sucks,know how you feel. Put a new full-length exhaust on my baby girl this week. Re-tuned it with a my Diablo T1000 tuner till I get it dyno tuned next week. Now, the car at full boost seems to be slipping. Let me know what clutch package you get. And the feedback. So, many out there. All claiming to be the best.

That sucks,know how you feel. Put a new full-length exhaust on my baby girl this week. Re-tuned it with a my Diablo T1000 tuner till I get it dyno tuned next week. Now, the car at full boost seems to be slipping. Let me know what clutch package you get. And the feedback. So, many out there. All claiming to be the best.

McLeod or Spec. I have the Spec super Twin. Good up to 1000hp.

I don't think the new setup caused the problem, maybe hastened the demise of the clutch, but the tune alone wouldn't cause that. As other's have said, clutches go fast in these cars. I'd go with an aftermarket unit. Call Van at Revan Racing. he'll hook you up.

That's what they told you, possibly may or may not be true. You have some valid points but we're not talking about an economy car here. Your car has a ton of power and I'm assuming you don't just get groceries with it? Parts aren't going to last as long as a car you drive easily. I've gotten 90k miles out of brakes, tires and clutches in my daily drivers but no way in the car you drive more aggressively.

Not that I'm trying to nasty but it's spelled "McLeod".... if the poor guy walks into a speed shop asking for the wrong thing they may just bump up the price thinking it's any easy sell...... :spend:

My bad. :blush:

You can tell which clutch I have. Didn't misspell Spec. ;)

Yes bought used but not abused..

when these cars were new and loaded onto transport trucks by the transport truck drivers lots of the clutches were damaged. The truck drivers were trying to be extra careful as they drove them onto the car carrier. So they revved up the motor up and massively slipped the clutch to drive it up the steep incline onto the transport truck. Some of the clutches were ruined right away and many of them had half their life shot before they were even delivered to the customer. This is sad but very true. After the dealers were made aware of this rules went out to the transport companies that the Shelbys had to ride only on the very back lower portion of the truck. This rule helped save the clutches from being burned up.

Was this the stock 2007-2009 clutch or one of the 2010+ clutches from the TSB replacement? I've been daily driving my car with the new power and no worries at all yet, but my car has the TSB done before I bought it.

Archived