TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt500 - 2015?

braztang

Dear All,

I am looking for news on the GT500 for 2015 or 2016.

I have been a big fun of Shelby for quite sometime, I really like Mustangs in general, however in my personal opinion, FORD has killed the looks of the Mustang in 2015 model, as it strayed away from the retro/muscle look by far and I am concerned that the GT500 2015/16 will just have the same look!

I am still interested in the Shelby, as the owner of a GT500 2013, however I am looking at trading it in for a Challenger Hellcat, however before I do that, I would like to know if there is any news on the new GT500 AT ALL?

Inputs are very appreciated it.

Thank you

LCL

Well, first there is no real concrete info on the next mustang halo car. Also I think you would be making a HUGE mistake going to a hellcat. Looks like the dodge hype machine has got another one! Lol. Do some real world hellcat

Research. Nobody has been able to duplicate the hero numbers dodge posted. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the hellcat and will likely get one but won't sell my Shelby's to do so

Dear All,

I am looking for news on the GT500 for 2015 or 2016.

I have been a big fun of Shelby for quite sometime, I really like Mustangs in general, however in my personal opinion, FORD has killed the looks of the Mustang in 2015 model, as it strayed away from the retro/muscle look by far and I am concerned that the GT500 2015/16 will just have the same look!

I am still interested in the Shelby, as the owner of a GT500 2013, however I am looking at trading it in for a Challenger Hellcat, however before I do that, I would like to know if there is any news on the new GT500 AT ALL?

Thank you

LCL

The Shelby GT500 is no longer in production so there will not be a GT500 for the 2015-16 model year.

The Hellcat has some impressive numbers but quality vs price is a major concern for me. Even more of a concern if the performance numbers are being fudged.

Have you thought about having your GT500 Super Snaked with the 800 or 1,000 hp package?

Steve

Well I don't know nothing about anything so take my gibberish in the next paragraph with a grain of salt. I'm just a guy who owns, loves and drives his 2014 Shelby GT-500 daily. Prior to that I owned a 2011 GT-500 that I sold with 42,000 miles to get what I was afraid was going to be the last GT-500's to be made by Ford/Shelby. I'm old enough to remember the last Shelby GT-500's being built in the 1969/70 model years and couldn't afford one then. This time around I could and so I did. If they decide to built more GT-500's in the future, great, I love mine and hopefully others will have a chance one day to enjoy one too.

Now my gibberish, going by all the rumors and spy talk in the magazines and on the forums here's my take. Ford will build a GT-350 in 2016 with 5.2L or larger V-8 with 500 to 550 hp NA that will out handle anything ever built. (LOL) At the same time Ford will build a new super duper Ford Cobra SVT that will make 750 hp using the present Shelby GT-500's 5.8L supercharged motor.

But what do I know. :) Let's hear other opinions.

So far the reports are a non-aspirated 444 HP 5.0L 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 model. Probable higher performance upgrades may be available at SA. Testing of the 2016 Mustang GT and GT350 at Nuremburg can be seen on video from a number of Mustang news sites. You can see the difference in the hood and side fenders for the GT350 and the exhaust tone difference is obvious.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1093368_2016-ford-mustang-gt350-svt-spy-video

The message here is that there is nothing real available for the 2015 and 2016 (except "vapor ware") that will outperform your current 2013. If you've got the itch to spend consider the supersnake upgrade, but otherwise stand pat until something is announced by Ford that you can order instead of looking at fuzzy pictures from the internet.

The GT500 is retired. The GT350 will be the next SVT halo mustang. However, I would expect superior performance on many levels to the current 2013-14 GT500, but probably not better in HP and Torque. The GT350 will be more of a hybrid BOSS/GT500 replacement with HP numbers above 500. Well above in fact. If that doesnt excite you, then maybe you would be interested in a new Ford supercar platform in 2 years. I would be.

:whistle:

The GT500 is retired. The GT350 will be the next SVT halo mustang. However, I would expect superior performance on many levels to the current 2013-14 GT500, but probably not better in HP and Torque. The GT350 will be more of a hybrid BOSS/GT500 replacement with HP numbers above 500. Well above in fact. If that doesnt excite you, then maybe you would be interested in a new Ford supercar platform in 2 years. I would be.

If history repeats itself the GT350 will be a better track car - it's about suspension and handling that raw HP. The GT500 was more of a dragstrip car. That is why the (stock) Boss302 outperformed the (stock) GT500 on the track. On most tracks in the US, the extra HP of the GT500 didn't get you much (exceptions being like the long straight at the Le Mans.)

If you want the HP stick with the 2013. Get more by modding it.

If that doesnt excite you, then maybe you would be interested in a new Ford supercar platform in 2 years. I would be.

I don't want to drag this topic into it, since we have already explored it elsewhere, but I eagerly await what they will have that will be "supercar" class. Again, lots of rumors but nothing even close to being shown. If some prototype doesn't show up at the SEMA show then I would doubt that it is any more than a rumor too. Ford dropped hints of a GT two to three years ahead of introduction. They need to start showing something.

The Shelby GT500 is no longer in production so there will not be a GT500 for the 2015-16 model year.

The Hellcat has some impressive numbers but quality vs price is a major concern for me. Even more of a concern if the performance numbers are being fudged.

Have you thought about having your GT500 Super Snaked with the 800 or 1,000 hp package?

Steve

Hello Steve, thanks for the input.

I always thought of it, but the issue is the cost involved in doing it! way too expensive.

I personally saw and drove a 2015 Hellcat with the SRT team, as I also own a Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), I was really impressed with the handling and comfort, really amazing job done on the 2015 Challenger (in special HELLCAT).

Anyway, I am afraid that no more GT500's will be coming out, that would be sad, but I do not believe FORD would do that, in special now after Dodge's Hellcat and the HP war.

Thanks and all the best.

LCL

If history repeats itself the GT350 will be a better track car - it's about suspension and handling that raw HP. The GT500 was more of a dragstrip car. That is why the (stock) Boss302 outperformed the (stock) GT500 on the track. On most tracks in the US, the extra HP of the GT500 didn't get you much (exceptions being like the long straight at the Le Mans.)

If you want the HP stick with the 2013. Get more by modding it.

150 and still climbing in my Super Snake and that was with a trunk full of luggage and a wife screaming "SLOW DOWN, THIS IS A PARADE LAP" :victory:

Lots of speculation. SVT has historically trumped the other manufacturers every time they produce something to come close to the GT500. I'd bet money that in 2016 they will come out with a GT500 with at least 750HP which again will place them at the top of the ladder. Wait, and you'll see.

:victory:

Thank you

LCL

If you want the hellcat because it's faster I would consider this. IF the hellcat is faster, I have my doubts, it can't be by much. It may be only the difference in drivers who wins that race. Unless my morning math is wrong the hellcat has 15% more weight (automatic), 12% more for the standard, but only has 7% more horsepower.

For $500 you can put a smaller pulley and a tune in a gt500 and have comparable hp and theoretically a faster car, how much would it cost to reduce the hellcats weight by 600lbs? Obviously not affordable to do that, so if the hellcat wants a legitimate edge over the gt500 it will need need to be modified for more horsepower to beat a stock gt500 IMO due to the challengers "junk in the trunk". Keep in mind that the hellcat is $5k more as a base model car over the gt500, what can $5k thrown in a gt500 do? I helluva lot more than 707 hp. Trading in a year old car has to result in a loss too, add that loss to the $5k extra you pay for the hellcat and use that money to modify the gt500 :)

With all that said if you are simply want the newest toy getting all the attention get the hellcat

That got me to thinking... It could be that a "swap" is in the cards; with the GT500 returning in some form.

So if Ford (SVT) is going to produce a Shelby GT-350 (as the likely Ford halo car) does that leave the door for open for Shelby American to offer the "Shelby GT500" as an uplift option (would SAI retain the rights to the GT500 name to do so)?

In effect, the two companies would be "swapping" the production of each car.

If the rumors are true, the products could be well differentiated.

Ford (SVT) Shelby GT350 - 5.x liter V8, naturally aspirated, IRS track oriented car.

Shelby American (SAI) Shelby GT500 - 5.0 liter V8, supercharged, IRS , (with optional uplift to a straight axle) drag/Grand Touring oriented car.

Thoughts?

-Pockdog

If you want the hellcat because it's faster I would consider this. IF the hellcat is faster, I have my doubts, it can't be by much. It may be only the difference in drivers who wins that race. Unless my morning math is wrong the hellcat has 15% more weight (automatic), 12% more for the standard, but only has 7% more horsepower.

For $500 you can put a smaller pulley and a tune in a gt500 and have comparable hp and theoretically a faster car, how much would it cost to reduce the hellcats weight by 600lbs? Obviously not affordable to do that, so if the hellcat wants a legitimate edge over the gt500 it will need need to be modified for more horsepower to beat a stock gt500 IMO due to the challengers "junk in the trunk". Keep in mind that the hellcat is $5k more as a base model car over the gt500, what can $5k thrown in a gt500 do? I helluva lot more than 707 hp. Trading in a year old car has to result in a loss too, add that loss to the $5k extra you pay for the hellcat and use that money to modify the gt500 :)

With all that said if you are simply want the newest toy getting all the attention get the hellcat

I took my 14 down to the drag track and they told me if I didn't want to install a roll bar and all the other 10 second spec's - I had to remain completely stock right down to the stock type tires and stock tune. So far it only runs in the mid 12's & 120's

I took my 14 down to the drag track and they told me if I didn't want to install a roll bar and all the other 10 second spec's - I had to remain completely stock right down to the stock type tires and stock tune. So far it only runs in the mid 12's & 120's

14 hellcat or 14 gt500?

Edit: never mind, the hellcat is 2015. Got it

That got me to thinking... It could be that a "swap" is in the cards; with the GT500 returning in some form.

So if Ford (SVT) is going to produce a Shelby GT-350 (as the likely Ford halo car) does that leave the door for open for Shelby American to offer the "Shelby GT500" as an uplift option (would SAI retain the rights to the GT500 name to do so)?

In effect, the two companies would be "swapping" the production of each car.

If the rumors are true, the products could be well differentiated.

Ford (SVT) Shelby GT350 - 5.x liter V8, naturally aspirated, IRS track oriented car.

Shelby American (SAI) Shelby GT500 - 5.0 liter V8, supercharged, IRS , (with optional uplift to a straight axle) drag/Grand Touring oriented car.

Thoughts?

-Pockdog

I'm really hoping SAI has plans for a post titled conversion package for the 2016 GT350........like a GT350R model.

You are doing it wrong... Lol

I'm really hoping SAI has plans for a post titled conversion package for the 2016 GT350........like a GT350R model.

The GT350R I believe will be the name used for the next Ford Racing Mustang (i.e., not street legal). Similar to the current Boss 302R and Boss 302S.

P.S., you didn't hear it first here. They actually leaked this on national TV this weekend. I am neither confirming nor denying this as truth. They say that this will be seen next month, but I'm 99.9% sure that this is incorrect. Probably will not see it until Daytona in January at the earliest, but probably not until a couple races after that.

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/leaked-svt-gt350r-mustang-reveal-coming-in-september/

I agree with earlier remarks. Take your 14 gt500 and dump a little cash into it and it will be badder than any newer mustang or hellcat.

I am at about 750 rwhp and 730 rwtq with minimal money invested and without having to do any major work. I simply opened up the intake and exhaust bottlenecks and put the smaller pulley on. Totalling less than $4000.00 and no more than half a days labour. I just need grippier tires now! lol!!

The GT350R I believe will be the name used for the next Ford Racing Mustang (i.e., not street legal). Similar to the current Boss 302R and Boss 302S.

P.S., you didn't hear it first here. They actually leaked this on national TV this weekend. I am neither confirming nor denying this as truth. They say that this will be seen next month, but I'm 99.9% sure that this is incorrect. Probably will not see it until Daytona in January at the earliest, but probably not until a couple races after that.

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/leaked-svt-gt350r-mustang-reveal-coming-in-september/

Thanks Jeff.

I read on several websites the hellcats ecu is locked, to do any worthwhile mods requires an aftermarket ecu and that isn't cheap. Why would they do that? Someone mentioned on another forum that the ecu is $5k?

I read on several websites the hellcats ecu is locked, to do any worthwhile mods requires an aftermarket ecu and that isn't cheap. Why would they do that? Someone mentioned on another forum that the ecu is $5k?

I read somewhere that another reason for locking the ECU is 707 hp is about as high as they can "safely" go on that motor. Same with the Corvette's 638 hp 427's. Any higher from the factory and they're subject to go "BOOM!" :cool:

I don't believe its just the Hellcat ECM but almost all Chrysler ECM's. It's been that way for awhile now with Chrysler ECM's, very difficult code to crack/modify. I'm not sure if this is something that started during the Mercedes Benz ownership days but again enthusiasts have had difficulty for sometime now.

Steve

Great insight everyone...THANKS A LOT.

I am again in the Market for a 2014 GT500...no rush, as I also want to wait and see what comes out on SEPTEMBER 19! which SHOULD be the official FORD announcement day for the SVT!

I SOLD MY GT500 2013! GONE...

Anyone with a GOOD DEAL on the 2014, I may take it.

Thanks and cheers everyone,

LCL

cobra 07, on 06 Aug 2014 - 2:45 PM, said:snapback.png

You are doing it wrong... Lol

Can you tell me what the right way is without ruining the clutch in one outing?????????????. I have tried all of the electronic assists, but traction seems to be a problem. With my 09 I was cranking out 10.8 & 135 mph

Archived