TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Raptor Shift Light

karlc1955

Has anyone installed a Raptor shift light?

Suggested location in dash?

How difficult is installation into a/c vent?

Thanks

I have one. I mounted it dead center in my dash. I used double sided foam tape to mount it on the little ledge between the speedo & tach.

I have a FRPP Vac/Boost gauge w/Roush vent pod so I have a idea of how you could mount it there. I'm not sure why you would want to though. Ideally you want the shift light in your line of sight. Hence, my mounting it between the speedo/tach.

I ran my shift light positive AND trigger into a injector harness terminal under the COP cover then a separate body ground for the black wire. I'm not running the VSS wire so I keep that function 'off'.

Phill

Here's where I mounted mine in my 08, in the center area but slightly offset to the left.

I used 3M automotive double sided trim tape, and it holds very well.

The wire sneaks between the trim and enters on the right side and coils behind the light.

I connected the trigger wire onto the rear coil on the passenger side by carefully removing a small portion of the insulation, and then wrapped the trigger wire onto the unbroken coil wire and soldered it.

I taped up the connection to keep out the moisture, and you can't even see that it is there.

There is a gromet on the passenger side firewall behind the battery that you can sneak the trigger wire through.

I connected the ground wire on the body above and to the right of the interior fuse box.

For the power wire connection, I made up a custom spliced fuse and plugged it into a low useage circuit as shown.

I kept the splice on the left side which is the load side, so that the fuse protects the car and light wiring.

You can also use a fuse splitter pigtail for the power connection as well, but the modified fuse worked fine for me.

The Raptor light is a super low power load, and will add very little load to the circuit.

The red one I have is very easy to see, even in the daytime at the track running south with the sunlight right in your face.

At night on the street though, you might want to put the optional cap over the end to cut the glare.

Its the only way to shift a car that moves around a lot, the last thing you want to do is take your eyes off the road while that is happening :)

Raptor Light Installed.jpg

Trigger Wire.jpg

Ground Wire.jpg

Power Wire.jpg

Modified Fuse.jpg

Thanks for the info

As a professional Auto Tech who specialized in EMD, I *refuse* to splice into any wire in the PCM harness. If you must, the above posted did it right (or at least started to). SOLDER and SEAL. I pulled the metal tabs out of the end connector and ran my wires right into the terminals using the weather-pak seal of the connector to insure no moisture is able to corrode the terminal/s.

Be VERY careful about splicing into a PCM wire. Just altering the length of a wire can wreak havoc due to RFI.

I'd show you a pic of mine but I never took any and don't really want to pull the COP cover and coil plug.

Phill

I ran my shift light positive AND trigger into a injector harness terminal under the COP cover then a separate body ground for the black wire. I'm not running the VSS wire so I keep that function 'off'.

Oh, and a big DUH! As I was writing comment #5 I realized I posted the wrong information in comment #2.

It was NOT the *injector* plug/wires I tapped into, it was the *coil* plug.

One wire is a switched 12v that stays hot while cranking and the other is the trigger for that cylinder from the PCM. Using both satisfies the requirements for the Raptor shift light. And then a remote ground. I used the ground that the engine ground strap uses, up on the center of the cowl above the supercharger.

Sorry for the misinformation, I had a brain fart.

Phill <BRAAAAP>

Archived