TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Glass Roof

Gt50014

Does anyone here have a glass roof? Anyone regret not getting it? When I bought my car there were 5 to choose from, I wanted black and they had 3 different models. They were nearly identical, loaded with TP

1. Black stripe delete (used with 150 mi), recaro seats w/o glass roof.

2. Black with black stripes, standard seats w/ glass roof

3. Black with black stripes, recaro w/o glass roof

I had to decide between #2 or #3 because I wanted stripes and didn't want to be the second owner, basically the choice came down to recaro seats or glass roof. I ended up picking #3 because I really wanted the recaro seats, they fit me perfectly. I also considered that if I was going to race the car it was heavier and probably not as safe if the car ever rolled over. Lastly I was worried about the sun destroying the interior, the sun is brutal in colorado. I didn't realize at the time that there were shades that could be closed on the inside blocking the sun and had I known that my choice would have been much harder to make. I have decided since buying the car that I won't be racing in a way that the extra weight or the risk of a rollover is an issue. I'm still happy with my decision but barely lol.

How many of you guys have a glass roof? Are you happy with your decision? Do you guys think that the glass roof option will make the cars more collectible in 50 years? More collectible than recaro seats?

Definitely a cool option, will have to get that next time. Are they offering glass roof on the 2015 mustang? I read today they are offering a line loc for doing burn outs on the new models, freakin cool.

Love the glass roof!! I do think these will be collector's items in future years - its actually quite rare to see them already.

First time I ever heard of one leaking is in the above post.

I've had several glass roof cars over the years and they all leaked over time plus living in atl they were hot as he'll. I'm a vert guy.each to his own I guess

Are you talking about the Mustang glass roof or just sunroof cars? With the design and glue used, I would find it pretty unlikely that this roof would leak. If this would leak, so would a normal metal roof as they are glued down the same way and same dimension. You say over the years, but Ford has only offered it for 4 years now. The Mustang Glass roof option from Ford was developed and designed to be actually cooler in the sun than a metal roof car. It is a touch heavier, but not by much, less than 5 lbs. once you consider the headliner materials, etc. The glass roof is actually stronger in lateral strength than the metal roof. On the fire dept. I've seen two pretty nasty accidents with glass roof mustangs. One was a good roll over where the glass roof did break but was fully intact, Just like a windshield in an accident. In another, we had to extricate the driver up, and it was really nice being able to cut out the glass and go right out the top. I wish both of my Mustangs were glass roof like the Ford factory one.

Interesting bird's-eye-view picture of the two GT500's with glass roof option. I did not realize that the LeMans (Shelby) stripes do not go over the glass portion of the roof.

-Pockdog

Love my glass roof and I'm pretty sure I read that there is no glass roof option on the 2015. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere….

Ford said no glass roof option for the 15/16 models just yet. I'm sure that could change for 2016.

Glass roof is my very favorite option. I waffled on it when putting my order together, but in the end it was the best decision of all. Living in Texas, I can tell you that it is no hotter than my cars with no glass roof. Never heard of one leaking either (because it is solid, to the points made earlier). 100% recommend it!

I was told by my dealer the glass roof is of a lexan type and as such is actually lighter than the steel roof and about 3 times as strong. If this is true, than the overall strength of the car should be better. I love it so much that when I pull the shade closed it almost feels claustiphobic ( I cant spell - lol).

I saw a shelby today at a local car show with a glass roof, loved it. I can't stand it, I'm going to replace the top with a factory ford glass roof. I figure if I use all ford parts to do the conversion it shouldn't effect the collectibility later, what do you guys think? I'm keeping my car(s) and giving them to my kid one day, I don't want to do anything that I would regret later. Part of me wants to have a ford dealer install it for the paperwork later "installed by the dealer", and part of me wants to install it myself since I'm a freak show perfectionist with prior experience in auto body. Sounds like a nice winter project!

Here's all the parts, around $3k with shipping

http://fordpartsdiscountoutlet.com/ford/mustang-parts/

I assumed the actual dealer wouldn't do it, but a factory authorized body shop probably would. Wouldn't be cheap.

Edit: after digging a little deeper it's not going to be worth it. That price doesn't include a headliner or the roof support. This puts it well in to the 4-5k range if I do it myself. There's no chance I would go aftermarket so that pretty much means I'll have to wait for the next one. I'm sure by then they will offer it again, something to look forward to.

I too love the Glass Roof. A bit pricy but very nice to have. Note they have an interior screen that you can push to the front to block 95% of the sunlight to heating is not a problem.

Also I have heard (third hand info) that the Glass Roof may crack if you boost the power of the GT500 to 800 hp. That is my 2 cents for the day.

Alibi,

Like I said this was 3rd hand info not confirmed...the guy owns his own repair shop in Texas and works on higher end cars and owns a GT500 but I don't consider him a GT500 expert so forget I even mentioned it. Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I am looking at buying a 2009 gt with a cracked glass roof. Having a really hard time here in Manitoba Canada to get an idea of the cost to repair or replace it, there isn’t much in for on that anywhere. Would anyone here have any ideas at all? Thanks

Archived