TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which Exhaust?

Gt50014

Long ago I had a 98 gt mustang and put jba ceramic coated headers, h or x pipe, no cats, and flowmaster mufflers. It had a unique sound which I attributed to the long tube headers, I had heard many other mustangs with flowmasters and it just wasn't the same. I raced a friend once and shortly after I hit the gas/nitrous he slammed on the brakes, I asked him why and he said he thought my engine blew lol. I explained that it just sounded that way, then I beat his twin turbo z. Very metallic and raspy, sounded like someone was hitting the headers with tiny hammers on deceleration. Lots of sound coming from the front of the car, not just out the back. I loved it, just short of obnoxious IMHO.

I'm going to get a new exhaust for my 14, I plan on going with long tube headers, x or h pipe with high flow cats, and new mufflers. If I wanted something similar to my old car what setup with this engine? Basically I want a raspy, metallic, semi-exotic, higher pitch exhaust note. I was leaning towards ceramic coated jba headers, high flow cats, x pipe, and corsa cat back.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, interesting that you kept the stock mufflers. I do actually like the sound of the stock muffler they just quite aren't loud enough for me. Changing out to headers and getting rid of the cats probably would fix that though.

I would like to get rid of the cats but my issue is that I have to pass smog, or find someone to bribe when it comes time to test. Anyone else dealing with that? I guess I could switch out the x pipe with a catted version when it's testing time.

After doing some research I'm not worried about the smog test actually. I have 4 yrs exemption for a new car and I see that you can have a permanent exemption if registered as a street rod. I don't know the details but with that in mind I'll take my chances. I may not even live in colorado in 4 yrs, who knows.

ThomasL, any chance you have a video posted anywhere I could see/hear? I may try changing out the headers and mid pipe first, way easier to convince my wife to go for that. How much louder is it than stock if you were to guess? Thanks

ThomasL, any chance you have a video posted anywhere I could see/hear? I may try changing out the headers and mid pipe first, way easier to convince my wife to go for that. How much louder is it than stock if you were to guess? Thanks

I plan to get some good vids of my exhaust posted once time and weather cooperate. It's much louder when accelerating for sure. Much louder on startup as well. But nice and calm at idle and cruising which is ideal to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little late in posting to your question but if you want a raspy and aggressive exhaust with absolutely no drone while cruising you need to check out the Ford Racing exhaust. Apparantly these are made by Borla and are similar to the Borla Attack axelbacks.

I am a little late in posting to your question but if you want a raspy and aggressive exhaust with absolutely no drone while cruising you need to check out the Ford Racing exhaust. Apparantly these are made by Borla and are similar to the Borla Attack axelbacks.

I ran these and there was no raspy sounds..very low, deep and smooth. But drone was so bad around 1800-2000rpms, I had a headache the rest of the day. Took them off after 3 days and luckily got my money back. They do sound fantastic at WOT. Other than that, I didn't care for them.

BTW, the FRPP version is based off the Borla S-Type (Stingers).

I ran these and there was no raspy sounds..very low, deep and smooth. But drone was so bad around 1800-2000rpms, I had a headache the rest of the day. Took them off after 3 days and luckily got my money back. They do sound fantastic at WOT. Other than that, I didn't care for them.

BTW, the FRPP version is based off the Borla S-Type (Stingers).

What were you running these on and what other exhaust mods? I have have them on my 14 since new and could not disagree more about how they sound. I have no drone or any of the problems you did. They are quite loud on my car and they get pretty raspy from 2500 up

2011 - Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes, catted " green " X pipe, stock mufflers.(just passed N.J. inspection this month with this set up)

2014 - Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes, catted " green " X pipe, stock mufflers.

The headers make both a little louder, if I need more noise, put right foot down.

What were you running these on and what other exhaust mods? I have have them on my 14 since new and could not disagree more about how they sound. I have no drone or any of the problems you did. They are quite loud on my car and they get pretty raspy from 2500 up

No other exhaust mods...just swapped mufflers for the FRPP axle backs. Mine is a 2011, so there is a big difference or improvement with the 13/14 FRPP product.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the Ford Racing M-5230-MSVTLB 49 State Sport Muffler Kit last night. At start-up the sound is slightly louder, not much throatier. At WOT the mufflers let a lot of sound through, very loud. There is a lot of "pinging" (for lack of a better word) like you used to hear from glass packs (for all you old dudes who remember them), and the roar is very much like you hear on a circle track racer. I'm just not sure if I like it or not. Bottom line though is that it is loud and it does give you the feeling of more power.

One question and one problem.

Question: Do I need to make any motor adjustments to accommodate for the new mufflers?

Problem: One of the mufflers has a bad weld and leaks slightly. The warranty states that the parts must be installed by a ford dealer in order to obtain the warranty. Ideas?

I also have have them on both of my 14's and had them put on at the dealership when I bought the cars. I really like how they sound. At low rpm's I can cruise up and down my street w/o being too loud for my neighbors, but at 2500 rpm or more they bellow pretty darn good. My Ms can hear me coming down the hill into our neighborhood. I think they pretty cool and take the sound of the car to a whole new level. I love driving though tunnels :) at 4000rpm :woot:

Long tubes and the X pipe will get you that rasp you're looking for. I had a similar setup on my 95 GT and it had the noise you describe in your old car. The 07-09 cars came from the factory with an X-pipe and they definitely have a little rasp to them from that alone, the long tube just magnify that sound profile. Volume will be controlled by the mufflers. Many are happy with the stock mufflers given how much extra volume they pick up with the headers. I'd start with the headers and see how you like it. Adding the mufflers after the fact is pretty easy if you decide you want even more volume.

Long tubes and the X pipe will get you that rasp you're looking for. I had a similar setup on my 95 GT and it had the noise you describe in your old car. The 07-09 cars came from the factory with an X-pipe and they definitely have a little rasp to them from that alone, the long tube just magnify that sound profile. Volume will be controlled by the mufflers. Many are happy with the stock mufflers given how much extra volume they pick up with the headers. I'd start with the headers and see how you like it. Adding the mufflers after the fact is pretty easy if you decide you want even more volume.

That's exactly what I was thinking, thanks

Happy to help. Plus you're better off doing the headers and finding out that you want it louder, than doing headers and mufflers and finding out it's too loud and then taking a loss on the mufflers.

Archived