TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1St To 2Nd Shift Problem

JJN

Mine is getting checked out today. Has anyone noticed this issue as well? My car after a 45 minute drive took 4 hours for the trans to cool down enough to hook up the O2 sensors, Now I thought he was just screwing around at first but the service manager brought me to my car and low and behold, oil pan slightly warm, trans to hot to hold your hand on for more than 5 minutes AFTER 4 HOURS of setting. They did not raise the hood but still. Is that normal. Secondly, has anyone ever noticed that after a long interstate drive the clutch is really hard to push the first time but directly after it is smooth as silk? Mine will pop out of second if not held/slammed and also has the grind but only when it was cold 30 to 40 degree weather. It has not grinded since the weather warmed up.

• 4 weeks later...

I took my car to Brandon Ford in Tampa Fl and they did a replacement of my second gear the syncro and the blocker. They did all under warranty. I put about 200 miles on to break in the rebuild. Today I tried a shift at about 5800 rpm and all it did was grind, same as before the rebuild. I am getting very frustrated. I have decided to change the trans oil to Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic ATF. I am also going to order a new second generation MGW shifter when they come out next month. If anyone has ANY other suggestions please help. I have considered a WOT box but the car is still under warranty and I don't want to void it just yet. I really like the car but if I can't get this trans problem fixed I will probably end up selling it.

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...

Old post, but I thought I would share my experience. I have a 2011 and the same grinding issues for the 1-2 and 3-4 if I did high rpm (>5,000 rpm) shifts. I changed the tranny fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic, and 90% of the problem is gone. MUCH smoother! Cheap fix too.

Archived