TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1St To 2Nd Shift Problem

JJN

I had posted previously asking for a competent dealer in Central Florida. Brandon Ford in Tampa was suggested. I took the Shelby there today. I spoke with a service writer Buddy Wisham. He sent his transmission man out for a ride with me, and sure enough it would grind 1st to 2nd under hard shift at high rpm. After going back to the dealer and a short discussion they said they will fix the problem under warranty. They are going to order the parts and let me know when they will be in and I will bring the Shelby back for repair. So far they are saying the second gear blocker,syncro, and a new second gear.

Thanks for the advice. This forum and its members are great.

I will keep everyone posted as to the repair and what was replaced.

Good luck. I remember reading a laundry list of parts being replaced on the S197 site, it didn't cure his grind..

IF it doesn't cure the issue, will the dealership replace the trans ? ( ask before they start the work )

• 2 weeks later...

Does it hurt the transmission? I mean I figure having to yank it into 2nd when upshifting or downshifting can't be good for the transmission...on the Camaro's with the TR6060 GM ended up using carbon blocks on 2nd gear which apparently solved it....I just feel weird having to RIP it into 2nd when not even getting on it. City driving sucks as by the time you get into 2nd unless you yank it, the rpms have dipped past where they should be when 2nd is engaged so it does the rough shift.

Yes, if yours is grinding more than likely synchro's and the leading edge of second gear is rounded off. There are many different theories into the cause. Many different solutions, "some" have worked for a select few. But again the last time I had been following the topic there was no fix that worked for everyone all the time. Most did agree an upgraded shifter helped, but did not eliminate the grind. The only thing that works 100% of the time is installing a WOT box. But that won't do anything for your city driving. Pick a rainy day and search this forum as well as any that support GT500's and you will have more reading than you know what to do with.

Your not going to get many responses on your topic only because it's been discussed at nausea already. Your new so its members way of saying learn to use the search button. As for the problem it is wide spread and I would speculate 80+% of owners have it if they do any high rim 1st to second shifts. Even normal driving 1st to second is very notchy (even more noticeable when the tray fluid is cold). My opinion it's a disappointment these cars were produced with such a horrible defect that owners, dealers, and Ford knows about and even addresses in a video for the 13 (?) GT500,which I have heard those owners experience the same thing.

Yes, if yours is grinding more than likely synchro's and the leading edge of second gear is rounded off. There are many different theories into the cause. Many different solutions, "some" have worked for a select few. But again the last time I had been following the topic there was no fix that worked for everyone all the time. Most did agree an upgraded shifter helped, but did not eliminate the grind. The only thing that works 100% of the time is installing a WOT box. But that won't do anything for your city driving. Pick a rainy day and search this forum as well as any that support GT500's and you will have more reading than you know what to do with.

And sadly a MGW shifter would give Ford the ability to tell me to piss off. So you think the second gear and synchro's are bad? Good lord I only have 18k on this car....I went from Dodge to FORD as I expected a lot better....ugh...I've always tried to stay with American but American cars are REALLY starting to get to me. It's not a cheap car, nor was the SRT, and voila...issues again, big ones at that. If it is hurting the syncs\2nd gear as you said, these cars are not going to be reliable at all, and it's a pretty bad thing to own....-sigh- I'm stunned a car as expensive as the GT-500 has this junky issues.

I have 812 miles on mine. Welcome to the club. Don't dare drag race anyone from a dead stop. You go fron 1st to grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrind, while the prius rolls right past you. Better only race from a roll, or if your serious, get a WOT box but it only works and wide open throttle, but it does work.. search for it and there are some videos on here showing at work.

And sadly a MGW shifter would give Ford the ability to tell me to piss off. So you think the second gear and synchro's are bad? Good lord I only have 18k on this car....I went from Dodge to FORD as I expected a lot better....ugh...I've always tried to stay with American but American cars are REALLY starting to get to me. It's not a cheap car, nor was the SRT, and voila...issues again, big ones at that. If it is hurting the syncs\2nd gear as you said, these cars are not going to be reliable at all, and it's a pretty bad thing to own....-sigh-

They are going to tell you to piss off anyway. They will fix it, it won't grind as long as you drive it "normally". They aren't concerned if it grinds because you are driving it like a drag race car. Junk setup, I don't drive mine much, only got the grind twice. Oddly my old school muscle cars I car slam first and second and only even would grind if I my foot up with the clutch was quiclet than my arm.

I have 812 miles on mine. Welcome to the club. Don't dare drag race anyone from a dead stop. You go fron 1st to grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrind, while the prius rolls right past you. Better only race from a roll, or if your serious, get a WOT box but it only works and wide open throttle, but it does work.. search for it and there are some videos on here showing at work.

I'll throw that B**** into 2nd and it always barks tires, just takes effort. I'll let FORD eat the warranty costs with the trans if anything goes bad, they deserve that for pulling this crap. Total joke as this IS a car you launch from a DEAD stop, it's a damn muscle car! Always thought Shelby and the GT-500 = well built and performance oriented, now I know pretty damn pitiful.

And sadly a MGW shifter would give Ford the ability to tell me to piss off. So you think the second gear and synchro's are bad? Good lord I only have 18k on this car....I went from Dodge to FORD as I expected a lot better....ugh...I've always tried to stay with American but American cars are REALLY starting to get to me. It's not a cheap car, nor was the SRT, and voila...issues again, big ones at that. If it is hurting the syncs\2nd gear as you said, these cars are not going to be reliable at all, and it's a pretty bad thing to own....-sigh-

They are going to tell you to piss off anyway. They will fix it, it won't grind as long as you drive it "normally". They aren't concerned if it grinds because you are driving it like a drag race car. Junk setup, I don't drive mine much, only got the grind twice. Oddly my old school muscle cars I car slam first and second and only even would grind if I my foot up with the clutch was quiclet than my arm.

Define "normally" as even shifting into 2nd @ 20 mph (normal driving) causes the notchyness\grind. Down-shifting into 2nd from 3rd does as well. It's very noticeable. I am not driving the car hard, and this still happens 24\7. I am NOT driving it like a drag car, it's my daily-driver and I drive in the city.

Although not terribly expensive cars when compaired to other "performance" cars. I'd never buy another one, the shift issue panel fit is horrible on all of them. I haven't seen any in real life with a hood or doors perfectly aligned. I got this to add to my car collection and hand down to my kids. It looks cool sounds cool, isn't terribly fun to drive because of the shift and undersized tires aka no traction. Ahhh I feel a rant coming on.

If you bought it new and haven't did the grind under a performance situation (many times). Haven't heard of "many" that have had that problem. Usually starts from racing then the damage continues into what you have gping on.

Ya 20 mph is normal driving. It's always going to be notchy, that's just how they are especially when cold. If it's grinding when you drive like that, synchro's are most likely ground away.

If you bought it new and haven't did the grind under a performance situation (many times). Haven't heard of "many" that have had that problem. Usually starts from racing then the damage continues into what you have gping on.

Did not buy it new, bought it from an old-man who only put high-way miles on it. But seriously, @ 18k trans issues? It's clear there is a big defect and it has NOTHING to do with how the car is driven, it will happen regardless. Esp when you start looking up the TR6060 and the GT-500 and this issue as you said, it's the crap they are putting in this car and NOT fixing. Looking it up seems like it has been a problem for ages. I guess 2nd gear just has to be destroyed in these cars. It's more notchy @ 20mph than "grindy" but anything above that = it grinds...and to think I went from automatic to the manual as they are supposed to be built stronger, lol. Buyers remorse.

If Ford can't fix this I guess I have to step away, as the cost for American high-performance does not justify the crap you have to put up with. High-performance does not mean a junk transmission and issues galore that have lasted since 07. That grind if I was to drive it hard would seriously kill your times. No if ands or buts about it.

I feel your pain. If it just a "cool" car for you that you don't plan on keeping forever, run it. Let ford fix it and just keep breaking it. If your looking for fast times.. wot box or sell it.

I feel your pain. If it just a "cool" car for you that you don't plan on keeping forever, run it. Let ford fix it and just keep breaking it. If your looking for fast times.. wot box or sell it.

It just sucks as I invested a lot in my SRT-8, which broke all the time too. I mean in 50k I had already had a bad fuel pump, power steering, 2x rear ends, a\c, ignition system fried, cats went bad, win module went bad, t-stat went bad, I forget all the rest but it was pretty pathetic.

I planned to keep this car forever, just as I did my SRT. I thought a Shelby was a better investment as it's a SHELBY (assumed it was built far better) and you can always upgrade them. I didn't expect transmission woes at all. I did try now instead of going from 4-2 (which I do a lot) smoothly going from 3rd into 2nd and there was very little resistance. 1st to 2nd for sure has it above 25 or so MPH, and 30+ you have to yank it. Does the WOT box really fix a lot? I keep hearing about that thing. Could you explain the difference to me?

Pretty much sums it up above. Detailed instructions in this forum along with videos. Search nm2b wot box

Does the WOT box void warranty? It's pretty weird that we require that. When you asked if I cared about times, I don't drag or anything, but who the hell buys a Shelby to pussy-foot around in? It's supposed to be a track built car, esp for the price you pay. I also was told the 07-2010 were not involved with this issue, but I figured that was b.s. as all of them including the 2011-2012 use the TR6060.

Reason I ask about warranty is clearly there are a couple flaws, and I wouldn't want Ford to beat around the bush, once out of warranty I'm fine with any warranty-voiding mod, heck even tuning it I am okay with as in general you can return it to stock and they can't tell a thing (how it was on my Challenger at least). But this car has a much longer power-train\trans warranty, and I'm nowhere near the end of it.

Yep, pretty lame. Yes if they find it they probably could. I believe you can disconnect it when you take it in for service. I don't remember the details, but it was discussed.

Yep, pretty lame. Yes if they find it they probably could. I believe you can disconnect it when you take it in for service. I don't remember the details, but it was discussed.

So, out of curousity...do you just garage your '12 and only race it once in a blue moon? 800 or so miles for a 12 is super, super low. The lowest mileage Shelby I found was a fully loaded '10 Convertible with just 4k for think 39-40k, but I know the extra 130-150lbs on the front hurt it a lot and the '11 got a lot of upgrades.

Okay, as I'm a bit of a newbie, I need to ask this. I have resistance going from 1st to 2nd, but I do not hear a "GRINDING SOUND" I looked up grinding gears and holy hell that sounds bad. My car does not do that, it just has resistance, no grinding sound\vibrating from the shiftier. Any ideas?

Okay, as I'm a bit of a newbie, I need to ask this. I have resistance going from 1st to 2nd, but I do not hear a "GRINDING SOUND" I looked up grinding gears and holy hell that sounds bad. My car does not do that, it just has resistance, no grinding sound\vibrating from the shiftier. Any ideas?

I've never had the grinding sound either, but have been fighting with 2nd gear since owning the car. Sometimes if I don't exert enough pressure going into 2nd, it will "pop" of gear, causing a nice loud engine rev...mildly embarrassing, cuz the guy next to me most likely doesn't know about our 2nd gear issues. So I had a Barton shifter installed last month, it is an improvement, but not a cure-all. IMHO, it was worth the money to get some improvement. I still have the double notch feeling going into 2nd, but it's a definitely better.

Hey ya Shifty! ;)

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but a lot of us are equally frustrated after making quite an investment and not getting the performance that would be expected. I emailed Ford Canada last week and have yet to hear back from them about the very same issue; maybe the response will be better than going to the local SVT dealership which I don't entirely trust. I took my car in last fall for an oil change before I stored it for the winter and got it back with mud chunks splashed all over the inner front wheel well, fender, door and rocker panel! I was totally choked and all they offered was a small apology and said they would detail the car for me! The car is pristine and last thing I want them doing is touching it further and who knows what else they would do......Anyway, long story short, I wasn't impressed and would rather hear from Ford Canada vs going to the dealership...I'll post any updates that I get.

I have had the same issue since I bought the car in 2011. There is a tech bulletin out there for the problem I've been told but I'm with knightowl, I don't trust the local Ford dealers in Honolulu to do anything with the car ... to include the oil change. My 500 is a DD so I'm not concerned about the esthetics of car so much but do want it to work correctly. I guess I'll be waiting until my wife's move to the Quad Cities area in Illinois this summer.

Thanks tjys! I'd much rather be in Honululu dealing with this problem than here lol. I keep hearing also about a possible TSB but sounds more and more like that won't happen....Been rumoured for a few years now, but sure be nice if Ford would step up to the plate and do what's needed....

Reading several other threads & has been mentioned here I think, there's the theory about how the shifter is mounted on the frame rather than directly into the gear box...I don't know a lot about this and maybe not explaining it perfectly either. So by the amount of torque that's generated in 1st, things get out of line a bit and maybe what affects the alignment to change into 2nd. If everything let's say moved together as one (i.e. shifter and gear box together) then maybe the shifting would be fine??? So based on reading this, it's not the internal parts of the transmission so much as to where and how things are mounted. I guess this would entail Ford having to change how the shifter is mounted....Anyway, I'm not as savvy as many on here about this, but just throwing it out there.

Just a follow up to my original post. Took my 2012 to Brandon Ford in Tampa today for the 1st to 2nd grind problem. The parts took two weeks to come in and all the parts finally arrived. The Service writer that I am dealing ith told me that the repair will definitely be done under warranty. He also told me that there was a GT in for the same problem. The repair should take about a week, if they don't find any other problems when they get the transmission apart. I will follow up when I get my car back. I sure hope this cures my problem.

Thanks for all the great advise,

John

Archived