TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gold Stripes Discoloration/rust

hey everyone,

My name is Hunter and i have a 2007 GTH shelby. i am from NJ but shipped my car to california since i go to college at Pepperdine. I've had my car out there for about 5 months and started to notice my stripes on my car were discolored. i read many forums on the issue and a lot of people wrote that Shelby recalled their stripes on all models between 06-08 since they reacted negatively with the sun and started to rust.

i was wondering if anyone was familiar with this problem and knew any solutions to fix it, where i could possibly order new stripes and if shelby would cover the cost.

thanks for any help

There is a fix and that is replacing the stripes. Unfortunatly it would be a short term fix as the salt air at Peperdine will cause the same problems that you're currently experiencing. You could consider having the stripes painted on but that solution doesn't come cheap.

We do have replacement stripes available thru our Shelby Store that are sourced from a different vendor using better vinyl materials compared to your OEM stripes but again the salt air is going to do you in. And no Shelby is not going to cover replacement stripes on a 7-8 year old car.

Steve

If you can't keep the car out of the CA sun and lovely nasty rain there where you are, no vinyl stripe will hold up for very long. If you can't afford to paint them, I would say just have them removed until you can put the car in a garage in the future. There was never any sort of recall on the stripes. There were many replaced by Ford/Shelby under warrantee during the cars warrantee period, but that was long ago for your car.

FYI: The California sun obliterated TWO sets of gold stripes on my GT-H. If you want to do it right you will need to treat your Hertz to the proper paint treatment. Here's what I went through and it was WELL WORTH IT. You only want to do this once and vinyl is a short term solution as you have already figured out.
http://shelbygth.wordpress.com/2013/01/

Archived