TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford planning more potent GTR/GT500KR 2008 Mustang

1969HOT

Hope this isn't an example of the internet building an "E"-wave but I gotta wonder when we might get one of the insiders floating around to "suggest" what is going on. Still that GT-R thing sounds good. If it isn't a sticker show..... sorry been watching to much hockey :party:

A KR would be killer to me, but I won't be holding our for it.

I can't wait to get my Eleanor as it is.

At 500hp, how much room for improvement is there??? :bandance:

KingCobra.

KingCobra.

Yeah, especially since the GT500 with a computer reprogram and a smaller blower pulley (12 psi boost) alone yields 650+HP at the crank and 600 at the wheels. The GT500 rep told me a few weeks back that the factory tested that and toyed with a GT500R but decided the changes to get to 650HP were so trivial they'd leave it to the aftermarket (+/- $500 kit, two hours to install?) He said the drivetrain could handle that output fine. I expect to see such kits available by the Nov'06 SEMA show in Vegas -- I'd be very surprised if there aren't multiple vendors offering such kits by then. Of course it would be nice to have 650HP directly from Ford, but I suspect that's too much too soon and would have been more than $500 over the GT500 <grin> ...and then there's that nasty guzzler tax which could only get bigger at 650HP. There are some folks at Ford who think all this HP stuff is a big mistake -- fortunately Bill Ford likes HP and loves mustangs! If I were Ford, why take the risk now when the changes for 650HP are so simple.. I would expect Ford to be conservative (if you can call the GT500 which dynos at 525crankHP, 475-480rwhp conservative!) and leave those mods to the aftermarket anyway.

There was a GTR that Ford showed a year ago April ('05) in NY. It was a gutted stang GT with a $20K 5.0L modular GTR crate motor (now available from FordRacing), a carbon-fiber chin spoiler, bigger brakes, roll bar, suspension mods, etc. It was intended as a starting point for a true race build-up. Unfortunately the car generated a lot of buzz but the motor, at 450HP (no blower) seemed way too expensive. Of course it was designed as a race-ready base that you could build on so it was actually quite the bargain, but that seemed to escape a lot of folks -- I was told it could hold about 850HP. The GTR crate motor is available, but I have no idea if it's generated much interest in the modular-racer world.

Meanwhile, over at Shelby Autos, a couple of days ago one of their spokespeople let slip that THEY (not Ford) have plans to do a GT500KR next year as an '08 model. I see a lot of kiss-and-make-up poetry in that since, exactly 40 years ago, it was the 68 Shelby GT500KR that pixxxed Carroll Shelby off at Ford so badly that he severed the relationship when the contract with Ford was up (remember the 68Shelby was made by Ford, not Shelby -- the last 'real' Shelby back then was the '67) and eventually inked a deal with Chrysler. So I would not be at all suprised if Ford give the GT500KR production to Shelby autos as they recently did the GT500H(ertz). Ford has been working earnestly on kiss-and-make-up with Carroll for the better part of a decade now in preparation for all the Shelby-logo'd goodies we're starting to see now. (If you don't think a name makes a big marketing diff, think 'Hemi.' The current than road-kill, but the name is everything in marketing and that's why DC reintro'd it -- I'm surprised they haven't attempted to stuff one in a Neon <just kidding> ;-).

My appologies if you've seen some of this in my other posts and it sounds like duplication... just trying to cover the bases for what it's worth ;-)

Righteous Article 68 Fastback! B) A 2008 GT 500KR does sound interesting. My memory recalls that the 67 Shelby GT 500 (1st GT 500 year release) with the "427" not the 428 engine as the Holy Grail of all GT 500's.

I remember many 67'S AND 68KR's berthed in Dearborn, MI cruising Telegraph Rd back in those days. Most were 428 powered and the unfornunate prey of faster lower cost vehicles. I can recall only one 67 GT500 Yellow w Black int Fastback with the notorius 427 2x4V engine and believe me that car was very well respected and very fast. :rolleyes:

Now living in Dearborn "Ford city" at that time and know of only one GT500 with a 427 they must have been a very rare combination indeed. :blink:

If history repeats itself the 1st year 2007 might be the better choice. Besides the 9000 unit build is confirmed and there's also a risk that Ford could possibly cancel the GT500KR program for 2008 due to external pressures before it gets started. :eek5: I hope thats not the case.

As for me .... I'm still undecided on which way to go 07 or 08? :headscratch:

KingCobra.

I won't be holding out for a KR either as I can't wait to get my car. Also, anything beyond this gets out of my price limit and I expect the price will be higher next year, especially if it's a KR.

Righteous Article 68 Fastback! B) A 2008 GT 500KR does sound interesting. My memory recalls that the 67 Shelby GT 500 (1st GT 500 year release) with the "427" not the 428 engine as the Holy Grail of all GT 500's.

I remember many 67'S AND 68KR's berthed in Dearborn, MI cruising Telegraph Rd back in those days. Most were 428 powered and the unfornunate prey of faster lower cost vehicles. I can recall only one 67 GT500 Yellow w Black int Fastback with the notorius 427 2x4V engine and believe me that car was very well respected and very fast. :rolleyes:

Now living in Dearborn "Ford city" at that time and know of only one GT500 with a 427 they must have been a very rare combination indeed. :blink:

If history repeats itself the 1st year 2007 might be the better choice. Besides the 9000 unit build is confirmed and there's also a risk that Ford could possibly cancel the GT500KR program for 2008 due to external pressures before it gets started. :eek5: I hope thats not the case.

Ah... nice to find an old timer like myself <grin> Yeah, the 427 4-bolt-mains side-oiler was a bitchin' motor. Rated at 425HP (same as the 2-bolt motor) but dyno'd at about 530HP at the crank! When I ordered my 67fastback the teamsters strike forced it over to '68 and I could have gotten the 427 for $1600 additional... I still regret not doing that. To me the 67 427 Shelby is a real jewel -- I don't know if any or the handfull survived <sigh>

I won't be holding out for a KR either as I can't wait to get my car. Also, anything beyond this gets out of my price limit and I expect the price will be higher next year, especially if it's a KR.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat... I wouldn't be suprised if a Shelby-produced GT500KR was only just over 500 units or so -- that way it makes the homologation hurdle with the major race sanctioning bodies. I also wouldn't be suprised if it gets heavily modified suspension, a full race engine (maybe based on Ford Racing's 'GTR' modular crate motor) and anywhere from 650 to 800HP at the crank (the GTR crate was designed to take up to about 850HP without touching the bottom end). I'm just speculating here but I also wouldn't be suprised if it MSRP's around $65K or so, nicely positioned betw the GT500 and a possible modern true Shelby Cobra (which would explain why the Cobra moniker seems to be retiring) with a modular V10 like the concept shown in April '05 -- or something like that in the $90K range... too much for me, that's for sure! <sigh>

Righteous Article 68 Fastback!

Unfortunately for me, right now current situation my bill fold is sort of making the decision on an 07 or 08.

I'd love the 1st year of the NEW GT500 to sit beside my 1st year NEW Mach1, but currently well --> :fan:

:wacko:

Unfortunately for me, right now current situation my bill fold is sort of making the decision on an 07 or 08.

I'd love the 1st year of the NEW GT500 to sit beside my 1st year NEW Mach1, but currently well --> :fan:

:wacko:

Yeah, I sure can't argue with that... I'm still looking for an MSRP dealer while figuring if I can afford it

I would not worry much on which could bring on the engine , if the KR is that it comes :

Possibly be the same 5.4L ; SC or N/A or probably 5.4L (aluminium) of the Ford GT ( which his end is eminent ...., not the engine).

Here , the real question is : the reduction of the weight and improvement of all his suspension components, since the relation weight/power is the real "equation"

Remember to Cobra-R 2000 5.4L 385 hps and IRS ; which was not with air conditioning , back seat or stereo for CDs, more his relation weigh/power was of being afraid.

And if we analyze, the KR already is true , more not authorized.

I would not worry much on which could bring on the engine , if the KR is that it comes :

Possibly be the same 5.4L ; SC or N/A or probably 5.4L (aluminium) of the Ford GT ( which his end is eminent ...., not the engine).

Here , the real question is : the reduction of the weight and improvement of all his suspension components, since the relation weight/power is the real "equation"

Remember to Cobra-R 2000 5.4L 385 hps and IRS ; which was not with air conditioning , back seat or stereo for CDs, more his relation weigh/power was of being afraid.

And if we analyze, the KR already is true , more not authorized.

Sorry TigerGT tough read. I think you believe that a KR may already be in development somewhere by somebody. Good guess, just wonder if it will be factory or aftermarket. You know Roush,Steeda,Saleen, and probably Shelby are all gonna offer a few ultra high end GT500's.

I hope that it is of factory only by Ford/SVT/FRPP:

My conjecture is that anyone that possesses a GT500 SVT 2007 in June or July ( 2006 ), potentially already has a KR or R hidden there ...., because "the luminous signs" have lost sheen across of the years ( Except for business "$" ): example GT-H:

ShelbyAutomobiles, inc.: Hood Shelby CS6, signature CS, numbered dash badge and grill ( that's all )

Performance all by FRPP : FR1 - FR3.

Regards.

This is an article I found very interesting.

Ford planning more potent GTR/GT500KR 2008 Mustang?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/26/for...r-2008-mustang/

Article, Also mentions StangsUnleashed.com :rockon:

This is from a source at the Shelby factory with ties to engineering:

The manufacturer for the tire line equipment, DOMINION, has been asked to bid on upgraded assembly tooling to accomodate the future fitment of larger wheels and tires (up to 22") for the Shelby production line. This is in anticipation of the preliminary decision to have a 19" wheel/tire combo on the 2008 GT500.

No word as to whether this indicates a GT500KR, thought talk of a KR is HEAVY right now. Also no word on whether it is an upgrade option or if the '08 will only be available with the 19s.

I will confirm, ammend, or retract information as it becomes available.

L@@KING FORWARD TO JOB 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shelby Autos folks have said that they, and not Ford, will do the 500KR but I'm not so sure what that means vis-a-vis the 500H and it's not clear that Ford didn't actually do 99% of that build.

I'd really like to see a KR being a true Shelby but I don't see that Shelby Autos has the means to do that, except by contracting out -- like they did with Unique Performance (Texas) for the re-conversions over the last 2 years of the 67-68s vanilla 'stang fastbacks -- those were even re-reqistered as true Shelby's and even included replacemnt door-post plates with the new serial number extensions, but those sold for $135K and up and got modified chassis, suspension, brakes, driveline etc (and up to 750crankHP for the "E" model, as a tribute to Eleanor).

However for a new build, that has to meet the latest crash standards, etc. I see no way for Shelby to sell a 'reduced-fat' version of GT500 with more HP and serious suspension mods. There's no way to take out fat short of gutting the interior and, even then, it won't save that much. If it was sold as a highly modified race-only vehicle, then yes... but I don't think there's much of a market for a light, great-handling Shelby that's not street legal. In the 60s that was no problem; today? Big problem.

So I'm expecting a 500KR will roll down a Ford line with some minor after-build fit-up by "Shelby Autos" and they'll call it a KR. Not that that wouldn't be nice, but it would just, necessarily, be a 2-ton 650HP KR. That's why enthusiasts are scoffing up early stangs and building their own 'Eleanors' -- you can do it yourself for the cost of a GT500 (and a year of your spare time in a well-equipped shop) and keep it under 3200lbs if you're careful and that's worth another 150-200rwhp all by itself. And no one will make you have to crashtest it (or meet emissions either)

My point is just that there's no way today to legally do a new-build Shelby KR (or any other vehicle) that's lightweight, superfast and street-legal without sinking huge amounts of money into a purpose-built vehicle or a super expensive production vehicle. Fedeal law has essentially precluded that for a new-build, stree-legal car and that's why I think the best we can hope for is a high-hp 2-ton 'stang with some nice Shelby touches.

The Shelby Autos folks have said that they, and not Ford, will do the 500KR but I'm not so sure what that means vis-a-vis the 500H and it's not clear that Ford didn't actually do 99% of that build.

I'd really like to see a KR being a true Shelby but I don't see that Shelby Autos has the means to do that, except by contracting out -- like they did with Unique Performance (Texas) for the re-conversions over the last 2 years of the 67-68s vanilla 'stang fastbacks -- those were even re-reqistered as true Shelby's and even included replacemnt door-post plates with the new serial number extensions, but those sold for $135K and up and got modified chassis, suspension, brakes, driveline etc (and up to 750crankHP for the "E" model, as a tribute to Eleanor).

However for a new build, that has to meet the latest crash standards, etc. I see no way for Shelby to sell a 'reduced-fat' version of GT500 with more HP and serious suspension mods. There's no way to take out fat short of gutting the interior and, even then, it won't save that much. If it was sold as a highly modified race-only vehicle, then yes... but I don't think there's much of a market for a light, great-handling Shelby that's not street legal. In the 60s that was no problem; today? Big problem.

So I'm expecting a 500KR will roll down a Ford line with some minor after-build fit-up by "Shelby Autos" and they'll call it a KR. Not that that wouldn't be nice, but it would just, necessarily, be a 2-ton 650HP KR. That's why enthusiasts are scoffing up early stangs and building their own 'Eleanors' -- you can do it yourself for the cost of a GT500 (and a year of your spare time in a well-equipped shop) and keep it under 3200lbs if you're careful and that's worth another 150-200rwhp all by itself. And no one will make you have to crashtest it (or meet emissions either)

My point is just that there's no way today to legally do a new-build Shelby KR (or any other vehicle) that's lightweight, superfast and street-legal without sinking huge amounts of money into a purpose-built vehicle or a super expensive production vehicle. Fedeal law has essentially precluded that for a new-build, stree-legal car and that's why I think the best we can hope for is a high-hp 2-ton 'stang with some nice Shelby touches.

Agreed, 68fastback.

I can only speculate and dream about the eventual reality. I just wanted to relate some concrete insider information about what is actually going on inside Ford. Even if the '08 is identical to '07 or a mild upgrade with 19" tires/wheels and redefined suspension, I'll be ecstatic. The KR "name" would, I understand, at least have to be licensed from Shelby American.

More research needed folks.... 2000 COBRA R 1995 COBRA R "There were a limited production of only 300 Cobra R models built in spring 2000, on the same line of the Dearborn Assembly Plant which produces the V6, GT, and Cobra Mustangs. The 2000 model is the third generation of the Cobra R, following the successful and still sought-after 1993 and 1995 Cobra R models.

The debut Cobra R, the 1993 model, was introduced as a competition package, and included unique wheels, suspension and cooling upgrades, chassis bracing and a higher-output version of the 5.0L HO V8 engine found in the '93 Cobra. Just 107 '93 Cobra Rs were produced.".

The 1995 Cobra R (250 produced) was also a competition package, and featured a higher-output version of the 5.8 Windsor V8 engine, an upgraded cooling system, the Tremec 5-speed transmission, unique suspension tuning and 17 x 9-inch wheels." I guess my point is that it can and was done at a VERY high level of excecution by SVT at least three times and without all of the pointless drama sure to be heaped on it by Shelby et all. By the way for those of you looking for true KR style authenticity, you could only get a 2000 R if you have a competition license. Do you? I do.

"

Agreed, 68fastback.

I can only speculate and dream about the eventual reality. I just wanted to relate some concrete insider information about what is actually going on inside Ford. Even if the '08 is identical to '07 or a mild upgrade with 19" tires/wheels and redefined suspension, I'll be ecstatic. The KR "name" would, I understand, at least have to be licensed from Shelby American.

For sure, FastStuff, I agree with you. I think the info you posted is good insight -- real indication that there will be more goodies coming at us. And if I am unable to grab an '07 at MSRP (and given the givens of what's realistically possible) I rather prefer the '08 only be a nicely staged upgrade to the '07 that I can actually afford.

I think we're going to see more retro muscle flavor-of-the-year on modern muscle iron. I think GM and DC underestimated the pent-up demand that Ford saw. So, now that they'll be in it too, it should be an amazing muscle-car renaissance until someone decides this is just too much fun and finds some socio-political excuse to shut it down. That's why I wanna get one while the gettin' seems good. I WANT ONE NOW <sigh> ;-)

For sure, FastStuff, I agree with you. I think the info you posted is good insight -- real indication that there will be more goodies coming at us. And if I am unable to grab an '07 at MSRP (and given the givens of what's realistically possible) I rather prefer the '08 only be a nicely staged upgrade to the '07 that I can actually afford.

I think we're going to see more retro muscle flavor-of-the-year on modern muscle iron. I think GM and DC underestimated the pent-up demand that Ford saw. So, now that they'll be in it too, it should be an amazing muscle-car renaissance until someone decides this is just too much fun and finds some socio-political excuse to shut it down. That's why I wanna get one while the gettin' seems good. I WANT ONE NOW <sigh> ;-)

Hey, 68fastback - Don't know if you're a Boss/Mach 1 fan from the bygone era, but the same insider info indicates late-stage development of BOTH for model years '08/'09 and beyond. Everybody is speculating and generalizing, but I'm talking about definite product-release plans.

I always wished I'd been able to buy "one of each" of the cars from the '60s and '70s. Now I'm gonna do it! This is the SECOND chance of a lifetime for us gearheads. GM, FoMoCo, DaimlerChrysler... gotta get 'em all.

Hey, 68fastback - Don't know if you're a Boss/Mach 1 fan from the bygone era, but the same insider info indicates late-stage development of BOTH for model years '08/'09 and beyond. Everybody is speculating and generalizing, but I'm talking about definite product-release plans.

I always wished I'd been able to buy "one of each" of the cars from the '60s and '70s. Now I'm gonna do it! This is the SECOND chance of a lifetime for us gearheads. GM, FoMoCo, DaimlerChrysler... gotta get 'em all.

That's great to hear!!! -- that would be really great... if those are two of the retro flavor-of-the-year models. Wish I could buy one of each.

Yeah, I loved the Boss 302 -- went to see Parnelli Jones and George Follmer clean-up at several races... very impressive how deep they could go into the hairpin at the end of the long straight at Watkins Glenn, usually executing a nail-biting pass just before diving into that 100+ degree turn.

At the NY show Ford featured a Boss one-off done in Parnelli Jones/George Follmer '69 racing yellow -- seemed to generate quite a bit of buzz -- that would seem completely consistent with your information.

I agree with you too. This is probably the scenario we are looking at. I do not think we will see a car like a Cobra R now that we have the FR500C available. And the parts to built one out of a Mustang GT.

I see parts from the man racer they came out with finding there way on a KR car. They could go

with 2 models a 07 based car for the masses and then add the suspension and handling package from

the man racer to a GT500 that was headed to Shelby American to finish off into a KR.

For weight they could do as with the 67-68 shelbys change the hood and trunk out maybe go with a carbon fiber type setup. It would save weight they also could get rid of the rims they weight around 36lbs apiece I've read, add a twin screw setup with a CAI and tune and turn it loose. From the article posted on this site about someone getting a test drive in one recently, it looks like its prepped to do a few mods and really be able to jam.

I'm just hoping I get the chance to find out :D

I see parts from the man racer they came out with finding there way on a KR car. They could go

with 2 models a 07 based car for the masses and then add the suspension and handling package from

the man racer to a GT500 that was headed to Shelby American to finish off into a KR.

For weight they could do as with the 67-68 shelbys change the hood and trunk out maybe go with a carbon fiber type setup. It would save weight they also could get rid of the rims they weight around 36lbs apiece I've read, add a twin screw setup with a CAI and tune and turn it loose. From the article posted on this site about someone getting a test drive in one recently, it looks like its prepped to do a few mods and really be able to jam.

I'm just hoping I get the chance to find out :D

I like the way you think, KB67... I think 600-650 HP is not too hard to hit with little jewel... and your ideas probably remove 120-150 lbs., maybe a tad more. Real carbon fiber is mucho expensive but, amen, bring it on -- I like!

I think I'll buy a couple extra lottery tickets this week too ;-)

• 1 month later...

I like the way you think, KB67... I think 600-650 HP is not too hard to hit with little jewel... and your ideas probably remove 120-150 lbs., maybe a tad more. Real carbon fiber is mucho expensive but, amen, bring it on -- I like!

I think I'll buy a couple extra lottery tickets this week too ;-)

:bandance: Where can I sign up for a KR...I will even pay adm gladly?

:bandance: Where can I sign up for a KR...I will even pay adm gladly?

Based on the Shelby Autos folks saying they, not Ford, would do a KR (if it's done at all), I think kb67 is on the right track. The work on the GT-H completes in a couple more weeks and Shelby Autos will be ramping up their CS6 kit work, but I gotta figure that those folks will also do other one-offs.

I could see Ford shipping Shelby Autos maybe 500-3000 'special' GT500s over several months with a 3.3L Whipple 200AX, diff seats/interior, some additional lightweight components, select FPP suspension parts based on boy/man-racer pieces, a few other things, like lightweight body components that can be easily substituted for production down the existing Ford GT500 line..

The engine could be prepped by SVT similar to the GT500 (2-man teams, etc), and all other hard-parts substitutions could all be done at Ford. The car could be shipped to SA fully fitted up minus the components Shelby would add (e.g. seats, badging, trim etc.) not unlike the GT-H. There's no reason why that level of fit and finish can't be done by SA at the Las Vegas flat floor facility.

There's a group of FRPP parts tested on the '03-'04 Terminator (for around $13K retail) that takes the 4.6 to 690HP. The GT500 already has some of those components so, for the 5.4, cost may be considerably less. All of that could be part of the Ford/SVT engine build. So I could see an outrageous limited production 750HP (650+rwHP) GT500KR from Shelby for under $60K.

Of course, it could then be sold through select Ford dealers and they would not be able to screw around with absurd ADMs unless the contract with Shelby permits that. That is, this would be a Shelby vehicle (like a Roush, Saleen, etc) where the price is set by the them. I'm not saying it would be that way, just that it could be that way because it's not under the fanchise agreement with Ford.

...just thinking (and wishing) out loud... :shift:

Agreed, 68fastback.

Here is a small piece of information. I wrote an e-mail to Shelby America about getting some

upgrades done to my 2007 Alloy convertible (one which would include a rollbar and racing harnesses)

I was told that they were working on a package and would be announcing it soon. Sooooo my guess

is that Ford is leaving it in Shelby of Americas hands for the upgrades. Only makes sense that they

make the GT500's into KRs.....If iam not mistaking that is how it happened 30yrs ago.

As a result Ford getting a legal hold on GT-R name would make sense also. Ford branded high horse power

muscle car to compete with whatever the competion comes up with.

Archived