TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Frustrating Find On My New 14

JayVT

Hi guys....wondering if anyone else had this issue with their new 13/14. Picked up a new 14 about 3 weeks ago (dealer let me drive it out of the showroom). On my way home I noticed a considerable amount of dust on the gauges as the sun was shining on the cluster. Carefully, I lightly ran my finger over the speedo to make sure I was actually seeing dust. It was dust alright, and upon closer inspection it's INSIDE the gauges and has that look of dust when it has been zapped by static electricity....little circles and such. Now the dilemma.....what to do? Do I really want to bring this back to the dealership and have them take the gauges out on a 250 mile car to fix/clean?.... damn right I do, but I'm worried about them damaging the interior/dash upon removal. Has anyone else had a similar issue & what was the fix? I would think these clusters are a sealed unit from the manufacturer so this kind of thing wouldn't happen.....thoughts?

Jay in VT

Unless it is really bad, I would live with it. This is one of those cases where the cure could be far worse than the disease. Every time I have ever had any serious dash work done on a car, the dealer has fixed one problem and created new ones. For example, the digital dash module on a 1984 Vette I had went bad. They replaced it under warranty and ended up badly scratching the dash carrier in the process. I demanded they replace the dash carrier which they did. What a mess. Many of the dash units did not look exactly right after they finished. In addition the car had squeaks and rattles it did not have previously. I realized the car was never going to be right and ended up selling it.

I have a new gt500 and had noticed dust on my gauges too and I didn't think much about it until I read your thread. I went out and checked and luckily it was on the outside of the plastic and wiped right off. I used to work on cars in a body shop and I have to agree I wouldn't want my dash taken all apart by just anyone unless necessary, could eventually end up with a rattle. With that said there is a chance that that panel comes off easily and doesn't require a major operation to do it, then you should be fine. In other words if the gauge cover panel comes off with a handful of screws I would go for it. Even though it would be completely irritating I would probably just do it myself, I might even put a tiny drop of loc tite on the screws during reassembly. If you don't over tighten them and put a little loc tite, it should good as new IMHO.

Sorry your having to deal with that, I would be annoyed to say the least. Other than that congratulations! It's flat out an amazing car and very addicting. I expected a lot for $70k, after driving it for 1k miles I feel like I stole it :)

Thanks guys, It's pretty bad as far as the amount of dust that you can see....looks like crap. I have the same reservations about letting Ford take apart the dash cluster. That said, I may try myself, it would not be a project that I'm scared to undertake, been working on cars for too long. Hence the reason I purchased this one. I want to turn the key and drive not F around anymore when I feel like some spirited driving. Thanks to all who replied.

Just a quick update. Took my car to the dealer the other day to show them the problem. They were all baffled as to why the cluster had

dust in it. Said that units are sealed from factory and should not look the way mine does. They introduced me to their Ford master

mechanic, he said that he will be dong the cluster swap for me and that I needn't be worried about the swap. They are going to do the

necessary paperwork for the DMV as the new cluster will have zero miles on it. Assured me that I wouldn't even know they had done the work.I'm feeling a bit better now. Just waiting for the part from Ford.

I would take it to the Ford dealer. They have the tools and the technology to do the job. I have never seen dust on the inside of the gauges glass though. It may be as simple as pulling the face off the gauges and clean the inside. You spent to much on this car not to have it fgixed. When you have it fixed at the Ford shop the work and parts are warrantied for a year.

• 1 month later...

I agree with others- if it's not really bad I wouldn't fix it. It never seems possible to get interior parts to fit the way they were originally installed and it could lead to more issues down the road. Plus, I wouldn't want dmv involved with a mark on the cars history due to a little dust inside the gauge.

Don't you just love Carfax, I would ask the Ford Master Mechanic if the new module can be programmed with the same mileage, but a warranty history on the car will show a module change too. Good grief, don't you just love technology. I am no help here signing off. GG

Archived