TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Goodyear F1 Super Car Tires

TRTGT500

Now that I have my Michelen Super Sports on order will have no need for my Goodyear F1 stock tires. If there are any members of Team Shelby from Michigan who want them at a great price send me a message. Just over 975 miles on them. Thanks

Replaced mine at about 3,000 miles. Ordered off Tirerack.com and had them shipped to a local Pep Boys and they did the install. Car feels much safer in normal driving as the rear doesn't break as easily and especially better in the wet. You may be able to get them through a Ford dealership and they will price match. I didn't do it this time but had done it before with my 2011 Shelby GT-500 with a set of Continental DW's. Mine are in the stock size.

I have about 3500 miles on my rig now and I was thinking about replacing with the MPSS, however this quote from the Shelby Supplement causes me to pause...

WARNING: For vehicles equipped with performance package tires (P265/40-19 front, P285/35-20 rear), only replace wheels and tires with the EXACT original brand, size and construction tire with which your vehicle was originally equipped. Use of any other wheel/tire combinations, even with identical size ratings, may result in insufficient running clearances, tire rubbing and eventual puncture. Loss of tire pressure could lead to a loss of vehicle control leading to serious injury or death.

This seems a bit ominous so I called Ford SVT and the best I could get is " the MPSS SHOULD be ok if they are labeled the same size, check with your Ford dealer".That is a far cry from "that tire WILL work just fine" Unfortunately my Ford dealer is the same bunch after the first oil change didn't clean up properly and when I got home and found an oil mess on my garage floor. If that is the best they can do I surely can't trust them for tire advice. I would be curious to know the genesis of this warning so I could make a safe and intelligent decision.

On an unrelated note my oil change notification came on at 3000 miles.I was expecting to change about every 5000 miles. Can I expect better duration as miles are put on it. At $125 bucks a pop I would like to get more than 6 months out of an oil change.

That's just Ford covering their ass because they can't certify that the stability system, abs system, and general dynamics of the vehicle will adhere to their tested results. Switching to MPSS tires should improve the functionality of all of those items though.

I have about 3500 miles on my rig now and I was thinking about replacing with the MPSS, however this quote from the Shelby Supplement causes me to pause...

WARNING: For vehicles equipped with performance package tires (P265/40-19 front, P285/35-20 rear), only replace wheels and tires with the EXACT original brand, size and construction tire with which your vehicle was originally equipped. Use of any other wheel/tire combinations, even with identical size ratings, may result in insufficient running clearances, tire rubbing and eventual puncture. Loss of tire pressure could lead to a loss of vehicle control leading to serious injury or death.

This seems a bit ominous so I called Ford SVT and the best I could get is " the MPSS SHOULD be ok if they are labeled the same size, check with your Ford dealer".That is a far cry from "that tire WILL work just fine" Unfortunately my Ford dealer is the same bunch after the first oil change didn't clean up properly and when I got home and found an oil mess on my garage floor. If that is the best they can do I surely can't trust them for tire advice. I would be curious to know the genesis of this warning so I could make a safe and intelligent decision.

On an unrelated note my oil change notification came on at 3000 miles.I was expecting to change about every 5000 miles. Can I expect better duration as miles are put on it. At $125 bucks a pop I would like to get more than 6 months out of an oil change.

Do yourself a favor and don't replace the tires with another set of Goodyears. Opt for the Michelins or an equlivalent set, and you'll be fine. The Ford manual may state this, however what's going to happen in 10-15 years after those EXACT tires aren't made any more? Tons of guys are running them without issues, although I have heard of people having problems with the tires coming in contact with the bump stops in the rear when their suspension was fully decompressed.

I have never read any post where the poster said he wished he had never changed his GoodYears for any other tire. The only people that have anything good to say about the GoodYears either use them on a road course, temperature permitting or run on hot pavement.

My experience with the F1 tires goes back to my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport and also a 2008 Cadillac CTS. They were run flat design but sure had a hard ride and did not last very long. I don't have a complaint with my Goodyears on the Shelby but have heard so much good about the Super Sports I think the car deserves it! I am going with the 295s in back and have not heard about anyone with issues from rubbing or wear. I also don't plan on taking the car up to 198mph either...lol

TRTGT500,

Wait until you try to get the power to the road when the temps drop below 60 degrees F. I drive like a little old lady, but when the temps drop, the GoodYears lose most of their traction and become dangerous even at low power levels.

I have a GT 500 SS 2014 I been looking for tires and being on east I only get to drive 4 months and when 50 I can't keep her on the street . So I been looking at the NITTO INVO and good wet or dry ,good ride quietness and cost for all 4 $ 1, 028 .00 . ????

Pretty funny, when i got my car the end of April, temps where in the high 50s here in Michigan. Took the car out for the first drive and it just spun the tires with no effort, thought that this would be a car too wild to tame....then it got warmer and oh boy, traction! The Goodyears are a very good tire but, The super sports should be here Tuesday, can't wait

The book says change the oil every 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first. Your change notification will come on at the 6 month interval even if you have only driven 500 miles. I change the oil on my car according to what the book says. Given the price I paid for the car, I am not worried about paying for oil changes. If you are really that concerned about a few bucks, then change the oil yourself.

Thanks for the update on the oil change interval. I missed the 6 month part. I guess the 9 bucks a quart price tag caught me by surprise. I knew some things would cost more. My first clue should have been the 15-30 cents more per gallon for fuel. Oh well that's what happens when we play with expensive toys.

Pretty funny, when i got my car the end of April, temps where in the high 50s here in Michigan. Took the car out for the first drive and it just spun the tires with no effort, thought that this would be a car too wild to tame....then it got warmer and oh boy, traction! The Goodyears are a very good tire but, The super sports should be here Tuesday, can't wait

I personally think once you get the Michelin tires installed, you'll realize how bad the stock Goodyears really are. ;)

I have been following the switch tire to MPSS for a while now. The MPSS converts seem happy...is there anyone out there who has still stuck with the Good-years and are happy? Seems that if you are in cooler weather, they grip better and hence are said to be safer. I ask my dealership contact here in Toronto (my contact is an avid Performance racer/hobbyist and enthusiast) and the feedback I got was the GY's are good tires....or am I not driving the car hard enough?

I have been following the switch tire to MPSS for a while now. The MPSS converts seem happy...is there anyone out there who has still stuck with the Good-years and are happy? Seems that if you are in cooler weather, they grip better and hence are said to be safer. I ask my dealership contact here in Toronto (my contact is an avid Performance racer/hobbyist and enthusiast) and the feedback I got was the GY's are good tires....or am I not driving the car hard enough?

The Goodyears hook terrible in cooler weather, and from my experience they don't hook so well even in warm temperatures. For example, in my completely stock car with traction control and ASC turned on, I decided to practice my launching techniques the other evening when it was 85 degrees outside. I slipped the clutch slightly from a dig, then eased into throttle resulting in a lot of wheel spin. When hitting 2nd at around 6300-6500rpm, the car had massive tire spin, which had the rear all over the road and headed towards the shoulder of the road. Shifting to 3rd gear at 6000rpm also resulted in the the rear kicking out slightly with a loud chirp. Wheel spin was cool in my younger days, but for me now, its just wasted acceleration and would result in horrible track times or a lost race.

I do hear, however, that some people have better luck with the stock tires once they're heated up well, and some guys have been able to pull 1.9 60' times or better, which to me is amazing.

I personally do not like the Goodyears and will replace them once they are worn out. I don't like how they aren't a "square tire" resulting in a more narrow look from the rear, and I also think the compound is not good for the amount of torque/horsepower this car has.

I for one am very happy with my OEM Goodyear Tires. I live in South FL where the weather is warm most of the time. I have never turned off the traction control and never will. I have no problem with traction under any conditions. But then again, I do not drive my car like a teenager.

I for one am very happy with my OEM Goodyear Tires. I live in South FL where the weather is warm most of the time. I have never turned off the traction control and never will. I have no problem with traction under any conditions. But then again, I do not drive my car like a teenager.

It's kind of comparing apples to oranges, as you're also driving a '12 which has significantly less torque and horsepower than the '13/14 model. I'm not putting down the '12 at all, just stating the facts. Rest assured, that if you drive a '13 or '14 GT500 with the stock Goodyear tires, and want to do spirited driving, you may feel otherwise. My '14 will blow the tires off in 1st gear even at 1/2 throttle, and rolling along in 2nd gear will be all over the road with a hard stab of the throttle.

These cars were made to be driven, whether or not they are tracked or not.

After reading through this forum I now know I can take this car stock to the track (Road course) without making any changes to the stock configuration. These are street legal r-compound tires based on their cold performance and all of the road debris rattling inside the fender wells. I'll post a track report as soon as I put a 1000 miles on the clock and get to the track. My only real concern is front brake temps.

The tires for our cars are summer only so I'm not sure why some are complaining about traction when it is cold. Ive been researching the tires. I've found for our cars only Michelin now makes the Pilot Super Sports as an All-Season tire. Our only brand choices with stock sizes are Goodyear, Nitto, Continental and Michelin. The stock Goodyears held up well on track days once they warm up just like any other tire. The MPSS tires are the most liked, highest rated and most expensive. The Goodyears are the cheapest. You get what you pay for.

After reading through this forum I now know I can take this car stock to the track (Road course) without making any changes to the stock configuration. These are street legal r-compound tires based on their cold performance and all of the road debris rattling inside the fender wells. I'll post a track report as soon as I put a 1000 miles on the clock and get to the track. My only real concern is front brake temps.

You'll need to change your brake fluid to a high performance version. Shelby sells a brake duct kit.

The tires for our cars are summer only so I'm not sure why some are complaining about traction when it is cold. Ive been researching the tires. I've found for our cars only Michelin now makes the Pilot Super Sports as an All-Season tire. Our only brand choices with stock sizes are Goodyear, Nitto, Continental and Michelin. The stock Goodyears held up well on track days once they warm up just like any other tire. The MPSS tires are the most liked, highest rated and most expensive. The Goodyears are the cheapest. You get what you pay for.

Cooler weather is all subjective. The Ford manual states the Goodyears are not to be used in temperatures below 40 degrees. Doesn't matter really, as with the power the 13/14's are making, the Goodyears suck at any outside temperature. Yes, they may "hook" slightly better when its 90 degrees, but I could consider them far from having good traction, unless as you've mentioned, they've been heated up.

Looks like they put the MPSS tires on the SuperSnake models:

...... a cooling upgrade to handle the heat generated by 850 hp, 20-inch forged alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires............

+1

They work great for me also and I don't baby it.

For any further debates on how the stock Goodyears perform vs a set of Michelin MPSS tires, or drag radials, feel free to ask some guys over svtperformance how they feel difference is between the tires. A lot of guys over there have used the MPSS tires and swear by them.

For folks who are happy with the Goodyear F1 supercar tires, question; how well do your tires hook from a dead stop? Such as in the 1/4 mile or stop light to stop light? I know some folks have gotten 1.9 60' times with the stock Goodyears at a well prepped track and with a substantial burnout, but I haven't tried them at the track...yet.

+2. But I live in AZ and it was 107 here today. I don't hate these tires like 95% of the rest of you do.

By any chance you & the red guy w/horns friends - 107 sounds petty hot -- in the Pac N/W 75 -80 is a fairly warm day and those F1's suck under 70 mph in 1st & 2nd gear even @ 80 deg

+2. But I live in AZ and it was 107 here today. I don't hate these tires like 95% of the rest of you do.

+3, not sure I would buy them again but my tires hook much better than others I suppose. When cold, not a chance, but it's in the 80s here now and I struggle to get it to break loose in second when I want to have some additional fun :). Without warming the tires I can use launch control around 3300 and do spin some through first, then a hard chirp in second. I have a tune and pulley, but I'm a mile high so not sure what my hp actually is. I may play around with the 0-60 tomorrow to see what I can get.

Archived