TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where Are All The Black Cars?

Gt50014

Hi everyone, I'm new here! Long time reader and finally bought the shelby I've always wanted. Had a question....

I realize black is the most common color and won't be as collectible as some of the other colors, but the black has a look that none of the other colors have at least for me. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not a racist, I truly love all colors! The black stripes are subtle, and the black/grey wheels tie in well making them seem nearly color matched to the car. It's a little less aggressive looking than the other colors to me but a little more sexy and elegant IMO. Plus my other 3 vehicles are black soooooo......ya I really like black :). I used to be an auto-body technician and had training in paint, black is hard to take care of but I can handle it.

I bring this up because I rarely see black gt500 compared to other colors, if there are so many where are they all at? Since they are black does no one drive them? This weekend at the mustang roundup in steamboat someone mentioned 60 late model gt500's there, unless I somehow missed them I only saw a handful of black cars. I did see one car similar to mine, black on black, and it wasn't a 2014....pretty sure it was a 2013. I may have seen a handful of 2007-2012 but that's it. I was actually surprised, I expected to be one of many black cars there because of the production numbers. I realize they are out there, and I realize there are several on this site....I'm not saying they don't exist but the ratio of colors I see isn't right compared to the high production numbers of black. Anyone else have this experience? Is it just colorado and it's blistering sun that keep people from driving/owning that color?

stephen

Congratuations on the new car. You have to understand that only a small fraction of owners are posting on internet message forums, and how many different areas of the country people live in. But yes, black apparently was the highest produced color, and a color that I really like. But my DD is also black, and like you said, they're very difficult to keep clean.

Nothing looks better when it's clean than BLACK! That being said, I'm finding that Black is very difficult to keep from showing every minor surface scratch that you get from washing your car even one time! You better like polishing, because you will be!!! Good time to be spent with your car (:

P6104712web.jpg

Nothing looks better when it's clean than BLACK! That being said, I'm finding that Black is very difficult to keep from showing every minor surface scratch that you get from washing your car even one time! You better like polishing, because you will be!!! Good time to be spent with your car (:

P6104712web.jpg

+1 ... amen,

...I'm finding that Black is very difficult to keep from showing every minor surface scratch that you get from washing your car even one time! You better like polishing, because you will be!!!

Couple with even a hint of OCD and when you clean your black car it will become the instructions on shampoo: "lather, rinse, repeat". I always started at the driver's rear fender and worked my way around clockwise. By the time I got done, there was enough dust on it to start over...

I have been forbidden by my wife to have another black car.

Great responses! Thanks! I'm very OCD, black for me can be a double edge sword for sure. Worst looking color when dirty and best looking when clean. Barely anything in nature is truly black, houses aren't usually black, most typical car owners don't chose black, to me black is a rare color overall and when waxed up, is eye catching even at a distance. Congratulations to you guys too for your badass cars.

ThomasL we have twins, except under the hood. Love the black supercharger, superclean. I like that better than the polished ones especially on a black car, very cool.

I think that half of them are in Texas! I had a 2008, but traded it for a Deep Impact Blue 2013. I was thinking about sticking with black, but I see them all the time here. (As well as the Vettes, Crapmeros, and Challengers all of them blacked out.). So, I decided to stray from the crowd and went with Blue. I do still love a really clean and well kept paint job in black though.

I bring this up because I rarely see black gt500 compared to other colors, if there are so many where are they all at? Since they are black does no one drive them? This weekend at the mustang roundup in steamboat someone mentioned 60 late model gt500's there, unless I somehow missed them I only saw a handful of black cars. I did see one car similar to mine, black on black, and it wasn't a 2014....pretty sure it was a 2013. I may have seen a handful of 2007-2012 but that's it. I was actually surprised, I expected to be one of many black cars there because of the production numbers. I realize they are out there, and I realize there are several on this site....I'm not saying they don't exist but the ratio of colors I see isn't right compared to the high production numbers of black. Anyone else have this experience? Is it just colorado and it's blistering sun that keep people from driving/owning that color?

This parallels my experience, but I'm also here in Colorado. (BTW, how did you tell the "2013" you saw from your "2014", from what sounds like a distance at which you saw it?)

When I asked another forum member with detailed production knowledge about 2013 MY production numbers, here's what he told me...

There are 1,467 Black Coupes. 701 of those have Black Stripes. 202 were optioned like mine. Only 4 Black/Black coupes were originally shipped to CO, NONE of which were optioned like mine. (I took delivery of mine in Washington.)
So, for all of the talk about how "common" our cars are, they don't seem all that common here. In point of fact, I have yet to see another Black/Black 2013/2014 MY Shelby anywhere but online. (I'm not saying they don't exist, but they don't appear to be in Colorado.)

For the 15 seconds it is pristine once outside the garage, it is perfect…after that, you had better love black because it is a bear to keep looking sharp in the dust and pollen here in Virginia. Worth it; hell yes!

This parallels my experience, but I'm also here in Colorado. (BTW, how did you tell the "2013" you saw from your "2014", from what sounds like a distance at which you saw it?)

When I asked another forum member with detailed production knowledge about 2013 MY production numbers, here's what he told me...

There are 1,467 Black Coupes. 701 of those have Black Stripes. 202 were optioned like mine. Only 4 Black/Black coupes were originally shipped to CO, NONE of which were optioned like mine. (I took delivery of mine in Washington.)

So, for all of the talk about how "common" our cars are, they don't seem all that common here. In point of fact, I have yet to see another Black/Black 2013/2014 MY Shelby anywhere but online. (I'm not saying they don't exist, but they don't appear to be in Colorado.)

That makes sense if that few were sent to colorado. The other car I saw similar to mine in steamboat had the same color wheels but they were slightly different style, I just assumed it was a 13 with slightly different wheels. Where the wheels different on the 13 TP?

For the 15 seconds it is pristine once outside the garage, it is perfect…after that, you had better love black because it is a bear to keep looking sharp in the dust and pollen here in Virginia. Worth it; hell yes!

No kidding, my car was washed and put away just a few days ago. I had to drive to denver for a meeting today, thought I would take the car. That was a mistake, by the end of the day I had to wash it again!

Great pics!

I swapped this 12 off on my white 14 but since I didn't see any stripe delete cars here is one more for you.

miscgunsshelby003.jpg

miscgunsshelby001.jpg

Actually the car I saw at the roundup had these wheels with stripes, so you say it's a 2012? I thought maybe that car could have been a 2012.

When I bought the car the dealer had a black stripe delete car, striped car with glass roof, and my car on the lot. Was a truly tough choice, the decision was made based on the fact my car was the only one with recaros out of the group. Black stripe delete is very clean looking

+1!

Beautiful cars guys. What type of soap are you guys using for a quick wash in the driveway?? Also any recommendations for a good quick spray on detailer since i don't wanna wash every two days??

I use Adam's products to maintain mine. They're not cheap, but every one of them (I've used) works exactly as advertised. For washing, I like their Car Wash Shampoo, which is pH balanced to prevent stripping wax off the car. (They also carry a Rinseless Wash. While it works well, I'm old-fashioned and prefer to actually wash the car when it's dirty.) Their Detail Spray is my go-to when drying the car after washing and when touching-up between washes.

That makes sense if that few were sent to colorado. The other car I saw similar to mine in steamboat had the same color wheels but they were slightly different style, I just assumed it was a 13 with slightly different wheels. Where the wheels different on the 13 TP?

Obviously, nothing stops folks from moving them around (like I did). So far, however, there simply don't appear to be very many here. In answer to your question, NO, wheel options were identical during the 2013 and 2014 MYs.

Good info as always, Norton. Thank you!

Happy to help! It's worth noting that nearly everything Adam's carries is American made and backed by a 110% Money Back Guarantee. Having met Adam, I can tell you he is a car shine fanatic who's committed to customer satisfaction.

If you decide to try any of Adam's stuff, I should mention that Adam's Forums members get a 10% discount on all purchases and advance notice on new product releases and sales. Joining is FREE and they've never spammed me.

Beautiful cars guys. What type of soap are you guys using for a quick wash in the driveway?? Also any recommendations for a good quick spray on detailer since i don't wanna wash every two days??

I wash my car often with high pressure spray, usually the automatic touch less type. Once a month or so, depends on how much I wash it, I wax it with mothers carnauba wax. IMHO the best wax ever, it's hard to get the car wet even after multiple washings, the water just falls off. Carnauba lets the paint breathe unlike some waxes, when I worked in the body shop it was well known carnauba was the best......but that was 10 yrs ago so something out there could be better. When I have a good wax on the car going through an automatic car wash is very effective, it easily removes the dirt. Between washings or anytime it gets dusty I use a California duster to wipe it down. Seems like a lot but actually it's simple besides the 2 hrs of waxing occasionally and the cost of the car wash when needed.

My point is to try and never touch the car with a rag washing it unless necessary. A small piece of dirt gets on the rag and then you are sanding your car with it. I hate swirls and scratches even if they are tiny. I always wash the wheels and rockers last if I have to clean with a rag. If I spray my cars off as soon as they are dirty the spray wash works great. I do understand that one day I could blow off the stripes with the high pressure water, I did consider this. For me I would rather deal with that than any of the other consequences.

Oh and I wax all my glass outside, have you guys ever tried that? Great in the rain but it also doesn't let as much water set on it after washing, so those annoying water spots are so much of a problem.

I wash my car often with high pressure spray, usually the automatic touch less type. Once a month or so, depends on how much I wash it, I wax it with mothers carnauba wax. IMHO the best wax ever, it's hard to get the car wet even after multiple washings, the water just falls off. Carnauba lets the paint breathe unlike some waxes, when I worked in the body shop it was well known carnauba was the best......but that was 10 yrs ago so something out there could be better. When I have a good wax on the car going through an automatic car wash is very effective, it easily removes the dirt. Between washings or anytime it gets dusty I use a California duster to wipe it down. Seems like a lot but actually it's simple besides the 2 hrs of waxing occasionally and the cost of the car wash when needed.

My point is to try and never touch the car with a rag washing it unless necessary. A small piece of dirt gets on the rag and then you are sanding your car with it. I hate swirls and scratches even if they are tiny. I always wash the wheels and rockers last if I have to clean with a rag. If I spray my cars off as soon as they are dirty the spray wash works great. I do understand that one day I could blow off the stripes with the high pressure water, I did consider this. For me I would rather deal with that than any of the other consequences.

Might want to be careful with the high pressure spray. The manual specificially states not to use a high pressure washer on the car, mostly due to the stripes. ( unless of course you've peeled your stripes off ) Two of my stripes have been damaged/torn by the dealership I purchased the car from, by the detail/car wash idiots who hit my stripes with their high pressure washer. There have been other members who've experienced the same.

Oh and I wax all my glass outside, have you guys ever tried that? Great in the rain but it also doesn't let as much water set on it after washing, so those annoying water spots are so much of a problem.

Don't you get wax build up which causes a haze/smearing on the windshield? I've had wax on my windsheild on my DD before, and it caused a hazed look when I got caught in a rain storm. Could barely see the road.

Don't you get wax build up which causes a haze/smearing on the windshield? I've had wax on my windsheild on my DD before, and it caused a hazed look when I got caught in a rain storm. Could barely see the road.

No problems at all with carnauba wax on the windows, been doing it for a decade now.

Might want to be careful with the high pressure spray. The manual specificially states not to use a high pressure washer on the car, mostly due to the stripes. ( unless of course you've peeled your stripes off ) Two of my stripes have been damaged/torn by the dealership I purchased the car from, by the detail/car wash idiots who hit my stripes with their high pressure washer. There have been other members who've experienced the same.

Ya in my post at the end I mention that I realize it can damage the stripes, I would rather take my chances and replace damaged stripes if/when that happens than deal with fine scratches from washing with a rag. Any other color but black and I would change my approach, black is just to hard to keep perfect otherwise.

Ya in my post at the end I mention that I realize it can damage the stripes, I would rather take my chances and replace damaged stripes if/when that happens than deal with fine scratches from washing with a rag. Any other color but black and I would change my approach, black is just to hard to keep perfect otherwise.

Agreed, black is very difficult to keep clean and does so all imperfections, but looks great when shined up. My DD is black, and I gave up years ago trying to keep it immaculate.

Archived