TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steering Wheel Shimmy Solved!

otayana

Hello guys and gals, Bought a 2008 GT500 with 11700 miles. First I had wheel hop worse then a bunny in heat! Replaced the LCA and panhard bar. Rear end was over by almost an inch! Bought Michelins ( all four the same size). Put worse rim with original tire in trunk! EUREKA! I got a spare. Had a vibration and shimmy in front. I have called my GT500 a money hole. Tried any and every combination of balance and swap. Jacked the front of the car and spun my tires! The left front spun fine. The right front had a little drag and there was a slight mark on part of the top of the rotor. Must be a warped rotor!!! So I ordered slotted and drilled rotors and new pads. Well, still had a drag on that right front. Wanted to get a Money hole sticker put on my back window! What the heck could cause a new rotor to drag! I shoved some more money in the hole and bought a hub! EUREKA! FINALLY! I had a shimmy in wheel that would be worse between 70 and 75! GONE! Either this hub was defective from the factory or someone over torqued the wheel nuts! Use a torque wrench! I love my GT500 now! :love_shower:

Somewhat related:

I have been trying to discover the culprit for a shimmy in my 2010 Expedition for 6 months. We replaced everything: Driveshaft, wheels, tires, rotors, hubs, etc. All under CPO warranty... still had a shimmy. It had me so frustrated I was about to sell the damn thing and take a loss as I only bought it last November. Then it dawned on me. This truck has banded wheel sensors. I took the Expedition to the shop one last time (they were so happy to see me again.... NOT) and let them know my theory. Sure enough there were two bands that had not been tightened properly and centrifugal force at speed was allowing them to slip around the wheel thus creating the shimmy at high speed. Problem solved, but still shaking my head that I had to come up with the solution and the shop tech's couldn't figure it out.

Thought I would share since we just resolved a few days ago.

Add a dial gauge and magnetic base to your tool collection, it will help you properly track down issues like that.

The trick is not to throw a pile of parts at a repair, but troubleshoot the actual problem and address that.

Good to hear you sorted it out though.

Add a dial gauge and magnetic base to your tool collection, it will help you properly track down issues like that.

The trick is not to throw a pile of parts at a repair, but troubleshoot the actual problem and address that.

Good to hear you sorted it out though.

To your point: You would think the mechanics at Ford would have been able to troubleshoot and solve. It really cost them a ton of money as all the new parts were put on the Expedition and covered 100% under warranty.

Archived