TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Sgt Electrical Issues... Anyone Having Them

So about 2 months ago I was driving the SGT on the freeway. I exited and as I stopped at the off ramp waiting for the traffic light I experienced the following.

Engine REVs went down, engine almost quit, all the lights on the dash went dim, Radio lost power and CD changer went nuts. I revved the engine for fear of power loss and everything came back to full power. -WERID- The next day I had a mechanic test the battery, it passed.

Yesterday I experienced the same thing again at another stop light as I was starting to accelerate through the intersection, the car jerked and stopped suddenly with no power and any attempt to restart sounded like a broken starter (clicking noise). I jumped it and limped home. Dash lights, all instruments failed. -I'm thinking alternator-

But I get curious that perhaps there might be something more to this?... I check the web. Google 2007 ford mustang electrical problems!!! OMG!!! Looks like this issue is becoming very common and is not at all safe. Anyone else have any insights? My ford dealership has my car now. Waiting to hear back.

I've been though 5 alternators (various issues) and 4 batteries. I've had the battery tested in the car and they told me it was fine and then pulled out and tested it in the store and they told me it had dead cells. And it's not because it's sitting, it's my daily driver.

sounds like a bad ECM...Ford had a 3rd party supplier for these back during the poor economy when it was save at all costs...they have since changed suppliers. If this is the problem, should be covered under warranty as part of the Emissions Control by Ford, however last I checked they had a backlog of 2-3 months. Hopefully, it is not the ECM and something simple like a bad ground or something. Best of luck...Craig

Bad ECM is something I have been reading about as well... I wonder if that is the situation on mine. I have not heard back from the dealership yet, as soon as I know more I will keep everyone posted.

4 alternators!!!! YIKES! I am on my 3rd battery in 7 years and 42,000 miles. No Alternator yet though...

Ground wire for the ECM... I'll call the dealership if they don't call me back and ask them to check that too! I appreciate all the helpful tips. I got the impression from the dealership tech that he was not going to be very helpful and I kinda figured it would take me, the internet, and forums to help them zero in on the issue.

usually they trace all grounds first if they are getting an error code related to the ECM. Be patient as there is tracing of wires and then testing trying to rule out all possibilities. When ECM's go bad it is usually a bad "bus" within the ECM. Again, hope it something simple for you and they get an answer for you soon.

Had similar symptoms with my daughters 07 SGT last summer. She was driving along fine and then all of the sudden dashboard...it went nuts. I told her to park it at a local park near by and went and got a new Interstate Battery. Battery fixed all the symptoms and we drove it home. She has been driving over a year now and no more problems.

I would put a new battery in it before I did anything else. Once a battery acts up on these modern cars all kinds of stuff happens!

Bobert

• 1 month later...

Archived