TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt Alignment Specs

Sometime in the next few weeks i'll be installing BMR Suspension a-arms and radiator support brace (just getting some extra weight off the front so this thing will corner even better than it already does). When doing a-arms of course you need to do an alignment afterward; I searched through this and other forums and couldn't find any definitive answer on what our cars alignment specs are. We know the specs for a stock mustang GT, but the FRPP suspension Shelby installed on the car lowers the car and that of course changed the alignment. I like the way it's setup right now, so today when I brought it in for an oil change I had them throw it on the rack and see where it's at (attached photo shows the results).

If I'm interpreting this information correctly and, given the allowed tolerances for these settings, it appears the alignment should fall somewhere around:

camber: -1.5 degrees

caster: 7.5 degrees

toe: 0 degrees (or close to it, given the tolerances).

I haven't installed caster/camber plates on the car or any other suspension mods that would affect the front (I did do BMR LCA's to help the rear dig in faster) so it should be exactly as it left the Shelby factory when built. I imagine most of our GT/GTH's will fall somewhere around here. These are fairly consistent with the setup I found for the GT500KR's so it makes sense.

Anyway, just wanted to put this up in case other people need this info. Maybe we should sticky this one Jer?

photo.JPG

I have 3 SGT's and one GTH vert. When we needed to get the first one aligned I contacted Shelby and they confirmed that they did not change the alignment on the car and that the factory specs for the GT were the correct specs to use. One of ours has over 40,000 miles and I have a excellent alignment guy here in Northern Virginia who has been doing all my cars in my collection for years. He has done all the cars and the factory spec is correct for SGT's. Tire wear is normal and the higher mileage car is wearing correctly and is just fine.

If you do change the supsension from stock then you will have to figure out how to align the car with the new bits and figure out the proper alignment for wear and to get the handling you desire. But for the street the factory spec for the SGT is the same as the Mustang GT. One word of caution...make sure the alignment tech does not use the GT 500 specs on a SGT..they are different!

Bobert

I have 3 SGT's and one GTH vert. When we needed to get the first one aligned I contacted Shelby and they confirmed that they did not change the alignment on the car and that the factory specs for the GT were the correct specs to use. One of ours has over 40,000 miles and I have a excellent alignment guy here in Northern Virginia who has been doing all my cars in my collection for years. He has done all the cars and the factory spec is correct for SGT's. Tire wear is normal and the higher mileage car is wearing correctly and is just fine.

If you do change the supsension from stock then you will have to figure out how to align the car with the new bits and figure out the proper alignment for wear and to get the handling you desire. But for the street the factory spec for the SGT is the same as the Mustang GT. One word of caution...make sure the alignment tech does not use the GT 500 specs on a SGT..they are different!

Bobert

Bobert, I too reside in Northern Virginia. Do you mind sharing the contact information for your "excellent alignment guy"?

Thanks.

Ditto - make sure they know it's an SGT and not a GT500! My shop is generally pretty knowledgable, but I did have to educate them on what the SGT is (it doesn't even come up in their system, which is a fairly common problem). The FRPP kit installed by Shelby on the GT dropped the car (I think it was 1" or so) which increased the negative camber from factory (which if I remember correctly is -0.75 degrees) to what appears to be -1.5 degrees. This helps a bit with cornering but is still streetable. I wouldn't align a street car with much more negative camber than that. Anytime you lower the car it will affect the camber, but I'm not sure about caster or toe. I'm sure someone else here more knowledgable can verify on that.

When I do the new a-arms I plan to have them re-align it exactly as it is now.

Oh and to answer ITHERTZ66's question - I just hit 32k miles. I'm the second owner and the original owner had it as part of his collection so he didn't drive it that often (I picked it up from him last October with only 15k miles). Truly blessed to have found a low mileage SGT :D

Bobert, I too reside in Northern Virginia. Do you mind sharing the contact information for your "excellent alignment guy"?

Thanks.

AvidShelby,

Virginia Tire and Auto in Chantilly. His name is Jason. He's the best!

Bobert

Just had new Bilstein struts and shocks, camber bolts and adjustable pan-hard rod installed. As a consequence, they had to realign the front wheels.

From their computerized printout, the front camber spec.'s are -1.5 deg to 0 deg. My car came in at -1.1deg for the left and -1.6 deg for the right. The right is still out by 0.1 deg, but that's as close as they can get without installing caster/camber plates.

Archived