TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The 70Th Anniversary Of The Landing In Normandy Is This Week~

Please join me in acknowledging and honoring these greatest of American Heroes.......

the Greatest Generation......that we ALL owe so much to.......

so valiant, so brave......in the face of the Incredible War Machine of the Third Reich......

Jim Martin and his fellow soldiers stood tall in the face of it all........and changed World History forever.

http://www.cbsnews.c...normandy-again/

God Bless you Jim Martin and ALL the soldiers that fought and gave their lives for this great accomplishment of freedom.

Especially my Grandpa looking down from heaven,

2nd Infantry, (Indian Heads)......landed in Normandy, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, liberated camps at Spergau!

:salute::salute::salute::salute:

God bless them all. My Dad's Dad landed on the beaches on D-Day, he became a squad leader that day as their LC took a shell before they got to the beach ... he did not speak much about the war other than saying the movie "Saving Private Ryan" was the closest representation to what he experienced that he ever saw (he used to watch documentaries and stuff)… and that the M1 Garand he carried saved his ass on many occasion, he said it was a fine rifle. He mentioned some other things like fighting through France and stuff. Oh, he said the big band guy Glen Miller was killed by a British officer for sleeping with his wife and that there was a bit of a cover up …. As some points he worked at a command post or HQ or something and saw some information come through …. He said that without a doubt, Glen Miller was killed by a British Officer. He died years ago, so I can’t ask him about it.

My Mom’s dad did not hit the beaches on D-Day, he was up north at some point, he could speak Russian …. He was with a tank unit; he never spoke of the war. I do have a German officer’s pistol with holster and papers he gave me before he died.

We could all learn allot from that generation, I am fortunate enough to have learned a good bit from them.

I believe my Dad’s Dad was 16th infantry …. Is there a way I can look that stuff up? He tossed all his metals and other stuff when he got back home from Europe. I know not a day went by he did not think of the friends/brothers he lost over there. My Mom’s mom (she passed now too) said my grandfather would wake up from nightmares even in his 60’s … yelling “get those tanks in a line, hold that line” and crap like that. I can only imagine what every single one of those young men went through… and there is no payment possible to compensate them for that other than to know we still appreciate them.

thank you for sharing that Slowby, your grandparents are to be honored for their service.

They were all great Americans and deserve our thanks for their sacrifices.

My Grandpa never shared any details about his experiences other than in a general way.

I think that is true of many of the survivors.

God Bless them all.

My heart and mind are with the Allied soldiers of the free world, past and present......

my undying gratitude for their service........for their sacrifices.......

a day of Remembrance.........when the course of the history of the world was forever changed........

June 6, 1944......Thousands of valiant men and women, many of them under the age of 20, 19, 18.......17 even......

stormed the beaches of Normandy France to fight the biggest battle for Freedom this world has ever witnessed.

God Bless you All.......The Greatest Generation.......

your courage is to be forever honored by the generations of free people who bask in your glory~

Pleasure of meeting one of the D-Day paratroopers, (thru my surveying business), a couple years back. (He lives in Cranford, NJ, and like so many of these heroes, DOESN'T want his name 'broadcast about').

What a thrill to shake his hand and thank him!

Michael,

Thanks for posting this 6/6/1944 remembrance http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/d-day when the Greatest Generation invaded Europe to liberate occupied France from the Nazis.

The Colonel was busy that long day flying 6 sorties. Days later, his P-38 POMH-1 was so badly damaged by enemy fire flying a ground support mission he had to ditch in the Channel. Several weeks later, POMH-2 (shown below) was shot out from under him and he parachuted into a field where he was ushered out of France by the Resistance after spending several days/nights in a farmer's wine cellar. POMH-3 (shown below with his crew chief) was a lucky charm that got him through his tour of duty. Although we lost Dad in 2000, not a day goes by that I don't think about him and what his "brothers" did for all of us. :salute:

DadwithPegll.jpg

DadwithCrewChief.jpg

Wayne in NJ, on 06 Jun 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Pleasure of meeting one of the D-Day paratroopers, (thru my surveying business), a couple years back. (He lives in Cranford, NJ, and like so many of these heroes, DOESN'T want his name 'broadcast about').

What a thrill to shake his hand and thank him!

That's awesome my home town is Cranford NJ.

They have a great Memorial Day parade every year.

Archived