TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Launch Control Engaged

RedruM

Briefly

4k miles on car and decided it's been almost a year and time to really try it. Weather is about 90. Used normal suspension and sport steering at both 3000rpm and then 3400rpm

Wow it works great. Little slow at first instant then car moves out with little tire spin/chirp. I was not happy with catching second. It doesn't go in easy but I hammered it in and before I knew it I was at 100

I have been playing with mine along with the 1/4 mile timer. Both with countdown start and when it senses movement. Cracks off 12 oh's at 122-126 with ease lol

what did you have for rubber ????????????

• 4 weeks later...

I'll start by saying that my performance driving experience has been limited to a 2005 Lamborghinni Gallardo and a 1990 T-Bird SC. The Lambo was easy with an e-gear transmission - nail the gas and the car takes off like a rocket. The GT500 is a different beast to tame. I'm 100% all stock and the temperature's been sitting around 24oc/75F. I've tried the launch control and 0-60mph timer a number of times. On the lowest setting of 3,000rpm's, my best time is 4.9s with a little tire spin. I'm finding it difficult to punch the gas without tire spin. I've read a number of similar comments stating that the traction issues would be resolved if I switch to Michelin Super Sport Pilots on the rear. Also, the user's manual suggests the Goodyears are suited for track performance. I wonder, if I'm to hit the 3s times advertised, am I to be heating the tires before every launch in order to post 0-60 times in the 3's? Perhaps I'm dumping the clutch too quickly at the start? Sorry, I have no drag racing experience. Any advice?

I'll start by saying that my performance driving experience has been limited to a 2005 Lamborghinni Gallardo and a 1990 T-Bird SC. The Lambo was easy with an e-gear transmission - nail the gas and the car takes off like a rocket. The GT500 is a different beast to tame. I'm 100% all stock and the temperature's been sitting around 24oc/75F. I've tried the launch control and 0-60mph timer a number of times. On the lowest setting of 3,000rpm's, my best time is 4.9s with a little tire spin. I'm finding it difficult to punch the gas without tire spin. I've read a number of similar comments stating that the traction issues would be resolved if I switch to Michelin Super Sport Pilots on the rear. Also, the user's manual suggests the Goodyears are suited for track performance. I wonder, if I'm to hit the 3s times advertised, am I to be heating the tires before every launch in order to post 0-60 times in the 3's? Perhaps I'm dumping the clutch too quickly at the start? Sorry, I have no drag racing experience. Any advice?

Stock tires are tough to get a good and consistent launch with, especially on an un-prepped street. Best best with the stock tires, is to set launch control around 3000-3300rpm, traction control on, and slip the clutch out of the hole while progressively putting the throttle down. It takes a lot of practice and getting used to. Keep in mind, with slipping this clutch, it's going to let go sooner rather than later, but it's the nature of having a tall rear gear, paired with a heavy car that is traction limited which requires some slipping of the clutch. And yes, the goodyears will need to be heated up in order to make them stick better. Mine have stuck quite a bit better by lowering the psi down to about 25, and doing a 5 second burnout.

i tried launch control with RPM set in at 3500 i did 0-60 in 4.7 it was hot as hell that day,it was 40c.I tried again a few more times and all i got was 4.7. did anyone get 3.5 sec? lol

I personally have no idea how Ford or any magazines were able to get 3.5 seconds in 0-60 in these cars ON the stock rubber. I imagine they must have retried 0-60 many times, heating the tires, changing tire pressure, and probably smoked the clutch. :whistling:

I personally have no idea how Ford or any magazines were able to get 3.5 seconds in 0-60 in these cars ON the stock rubber. I imagine they must have retried 0-60 many times, heating the tires, changing tire pressure, and probably smoked the clutch. :whistling:

That's pretty standard for a magazine article. They chase after the absolute best numbers they can get, vehicle reliabilty be damned. Goes for every car out there though too and not just GT500's.

That's pretty standard for a magazine article. They chase after the absolute best numbers they can get, vehicle reliabilty be damned. Goes for every car out there though too and not just GT500's.

I agree. I will say that some of the guys who have ran in the low 11's in completely stock form, have mastered the launch control/nannies features and I would guess have gotten about as close to a 3.5 second 0-60 time as you're going to get.

Archived