TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mca National Mustang Show - Savannah

MCA National Show! October 9-12, 2014, Savannah, Georgia

Two days of High Performance Driving track time at Roebling Road are available on Thursday/Friday.

I've registered for the show and the Thursday track day - anybody else coming?

Sam

Sam,

I am registered for the show. I can't do the track event in the convertibles because I don't have a 4 pt. roll bar and don't plan to install one. What time is your track time on Thursday? I originally planned to drive up on Thursday afternoon, but may be able to go earlier and watch your runs. Also, I sent my registration for the Fernandina show this week. October looks to be a fun month.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam,

I am registered for the show. I can't do the track event in the convertibles because I don't have a 4 pt. roll bar and don't plan to install one. What time is your track time on Thursday? I originally planned to drive up on Thursday afternoon, but may be able to go earlier and watch your runs. Also, I sent my registration for the Fernandina show this week. October looks to be a fun month.

Why do you need a 4 Point Roll Bar. Every Show I have been to that had Track Time did not require a Roll Bar for Convertibles unless you ran in the Highest Speed class.

Hmmm... a track day at Roebling. Very tempting to say the least. Roebling is a confidence builder and an overall fun track. Got a link to the event?

Why do you need a 4 Point Roll Bar. Every Show I have been to that had Track Time did not require a Roll Bar for Convertibles unless you ran in the Highest Speed class.

It’s the opposite out West. Every track event I’ve been to requires a roll bar or OEM pop-up headrests for convertibles.

I asked about the beginner class and was told to refer to Hooked on Driving's policy:

HOD Policy on Convertibles: 2011

HOD does not allow cars without rollover protection to drive in our High Performance Driving Events.

This would include Porsche Cabriolet, pre‐996 (air‐cooled), Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, Miata

(1990‐2006), Solstice, GXP, Solaris, first gen Z3’s, most British and Italian sports cars from the 40’s

through the 80’s. T Top versions of these cars are allowed, as are all Corvette Coupes. Fiberglas

hardtops do not provide structural protection thus they do not qualify the car.

In order for these cars to be eligible, they must have four‐point, structural roll hoops installed to an

SCCA Solo 1 Time Trial rules standard. They can be bolt in or welded, but must provide a full hoop with

down bars from the corners of the hoop triangulating toward the rear of the car. We highly recommend

that cars with this kind of protection installed, also utilize a five point safety belt system for both driver

and passenger.

The following convertibles with factory rollover protection, are allowed, but LIMITED to A and B run

groups, and are restricted from running R compound tires: Porsche Cabriolet (996, 997), Boxster, BMW

Z4, Audi TT, Nissan 350/370Z roadster, BMW M3 and 3 series (1999‐present), Audi Convertible, Honda

S2000, Mazda Miata 2007‐present, Mercedes S, SLK and CLK, and other cars with stated production

“factory rollover” protection.

NOTE: it is also required that drivers of cars with their tops down, have eye protection, with a minimum

of glasses/sunglasses, but HOD recommends a full‐faced helmet with shield down.

Hmmm... a track day at Roebling. Very tempting to say the least. Roebling is a confidence builder and an overall fun track. Got a link to the event?

Here you go:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/category.cfm?category=1

Here is the link to the show information:

http://mustangsinhistoricsavannah.com/page1

Ok... call me stupid, but I don't see this event on the hooked on driving link provided above. They have Roebling in September and November. What am I missing?

David - I'm doing the Thursday track day (all day) just to give me time on Friday to prep for the show. Went ahead and signed up for the novice group so I can pick up some more "tips of the trade". (My understanding is they will move you to a different group if they are confident in your abilities) I'm going to try and talk the bride into coming along - maybe let her take a parade lap or something! We'll be staying at her sister's house in Savannah. (May also try and convince her hubby to bring his Laguna Seca out for a spin!)

Bill - looking forward to seeing the Mach 1!

Viper - did you locate/sign up?

Sam

I did get the info and talked with the Southeast director for Hooked on Driving. Really nice guy and he recommended that I sign up for the Group B Solo based upon my track experience. Going to chat with my wife about doing the track day and then potentially sign up for Thursday. Do you guys have a spare set of wheels that you use for the track? I guess I could run what I currently have on the car, but they will likely get dinged up on the track. Just curious what most people do.

I just run what I have on the car, though I'll probably get new rubber before this event, my Nittos are wearing out!

I do remove the plastic center caps because they will melt if the brakes/wheels get hot! (Yes, it happened to me!)

Sam

• 2 months later...

I am going to end up skipping this show as it is very close to completion of construction of our house. I am registered, so something could change last minute, but right now it looks as though I will not be attending.

Provided that nothing comes up which would prevent me from coming to the track, I'm planning on doing the track day. Doubt I would go to the show, but who knows... Savannah is nice in October. Looks like Friday still has availability.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not going to make it. Wife made plans to take the family up to the Virginia Creeper Trail for biking and scenery. Have fun fellas and stay on the black stuff at Roebling.

Busy preparing to hit the road to Savannah tomorrow afternoon! Hopefully, the car will be ready - between the watts link install and getting new tires, (right now the SGT is on jack stands, wheel-less in the garage!), things are in turmoil!

Looking forward to the journey just to get a break!

Sam

We're staying at a Hampton Inn just off I-95 and will be rolling in Thursday afternoon. Hope to see you guys there at the show field Friday, Sam. Have a save trip and fun on the track. Looks like the '14 will be traveling with me instead of the '70 this time.

Well that was a fun weekend! Had a great track day at Roebling, except for a minor off-track

excursion! (video to come soon, and no, I won't edit out the bad part!)

Show field was big, I think 400 or so cars of all generations including

a 2015 Eco-boost Mustang in red! I think I like the new model now that

I've seen it in person.

Managed a gold in modified, so that makes me happy!

Good to see everyone, next up for me is Silver Springs!

Sam

Had a great time!

Roebling was a lot of fun! While I was on the track when Sam had his "incident", I did not personally see it. :shift:

I picked up a GOLD in Daily Driver 05-09.

While there were some empty spaces, I think there were close to 300 cars at the show.

I talked to MCA Judge friend Sunday morning and he did a quick count on his blackberry and figured 382 with a few late arrivals pushing it up close to 400 cars. Here's my link to the pictures I took:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202962643653297.1073741911.1419944110&type=1&l=97a494d85f

Archived