TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differences Between Gt-500Kr And Gt-500?

ZEROED

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm one of the rare guys here that owns a KR, but when I bought my KR back in October, I bought it to drive it. Currently, it has 33,000 miles on it and I enjoy it every weekend. I am not afraid to bolt on a few upgrades, including the FRPP 2.9 whipple setup. I hang out with the other GT-500 guys and we have a monthly Team Shelby breakfast, but never talk bad about each other or each others cars. Yes, we joke now and then that my car and the SGTs are REAL Shelbys, but its all in fun. Our cars were all built for fun and thats all that matters.

I had to stop reading after page 3 (I may go back and read through the entire thread though.)

A few things to note.

I'm one of the few to have owned both a GT-500 and a KR. My Vista Blue 2008 GT-500 was a great car right out of the gate. What I didn't like about it right off the bat was the exhaust tone (or lack thereof) so I removed the mufflers and installed the loud mouths.....MUCH better ! Next was the shifter. I installed a short throw shifter....MUCH better ! I then wanted to address the rear wheel hop but along came a 2009 Vista Blue KR.

The KR was sitting on a showroom floor for 10 months and the price was right. Looking back, I really only paid $10k more for the KR over what I paid for the GT-500. So, for $10k, this is what I got that my '08 GT-500 didn't have

- 3.73 gear set

- CAI and tune

- Fully functional carbon fiber hood

- FRPP suspension

- Front brake cooling ducts

- FRPP exhaust (I had to upgrade the GT-500 exhaust)

- Short throw shifter (again, I had to upgrade to this on my GT-500)

- DVD/Navigation (GT-500 had the standard Shaker 500 system without Nav)

- Aluminum rear diff cover and rear diff fluid catch can

- Carbon fiber chin spoiler

- Carbon fiber mirror covers (not a big deal but hey, it's carbon fiber !)

- Bright polished 18" rims

- HID headlamps

- Nice fancy aluminum engine caps

- KR suppliment owners manual

- KR floor mats

- SAI dash plaque and radiator tag

- Last "pre-titled" limited edition Shelby. My KR is 1 of 88 made in Vista Blue for the 2009 model year. That kinda makes it special.

That's all that I can think of off hand. So, for that extra $10k, I'm not going to complain. Actually, I think I got a lot for that $10k.

As for mods, I'm fine with modding a KR (as long as you can reverse the mod and bring car back to stock form)

Mods I've done so far.....all cosmetic

- Carbon fiber rockers

- Aluminum 1/4 window covers painted body color

- Aluminum fuel door painted body color

- Aluminum tail light trim painted flat black (kinda breaks up the tri bar lights)

Mods that are on my check list:

- TVS blower

- Carbon fiber driveshaft

- Drilled and slotted 2 piece rotors

- Carbon fiber rear diffuser

So there you have it. My opinion about the KR

DTED7v3.jpg

Pedigree?

In January 2006, the Ford Motor Company offered the bidders at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale an opportunity to own the very first 2007 Shelby GT500 off the assembly line.

Sure, the winning bidder would have to wait a while to claim his or her car, but theyd get to do it right at the assembly plant in Flat Rock, Mich. Oh, and there might also be some other perks of winning the bid.

Amazingly, neither Ford nor Barrett-Jackson would make any money off this car. Ford was donating the car, and Barrett-Jackson was forgoing its usual fees because the car was being auctioned to raise money for charity, in this case, for the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation.

This new 2007 Shelby GT500 was a modern interpretation of the legendary GT500, a car Shelby launched in 1967. As a prototype for the production car rolled into position on the block in early 2006, Shelby himself was there along with Edsel Ford II the great-grandson of Henry Ford, the grandson of Edsel Ford and the son of Henry Ford II. The two had first met at LeMans when Edsel II was 16 and traveling with his father, sometimes called Hank the Deuce.

Back in the 1960s, Shelby and Hank the Deuce were both more than ticked off at Enzo Ferrari. But with his Ford-powered Cobras, Shelby would beat not only Ferraris best but also Chevrolets heralded Corvette in production sports car racing. With the Ford GT40 program, he also helped Ford beat Ferrari at LeMans. Shelby and Ford also worked together to soup-up Fords Mustang and turn it into a winner on the race track and on the street.

At the North American International Auto Show in downtown Detroit in January 2003, Ford had unveiled the Mustang GT concept car, a car that immediately reminded everyone who saw it of the famed Mustangs of the past, the fastback cars Shelby and his team had turned into a national racing champion.

This new Mustang concept was retro done right, just enough heritage styling cues in a thoroughly contemporary package.

As it turned out, the Mustang GT concept car was not only a precursor to a new-generation Mustang, but with a supercharged V8 engine under its hood, it was actually a preview of what Ford would roll out for the 2007 model year as the Shelby GT500.

In 2003, the Ford Motor Company celebrated its centennial by launching the Ford GT, a GT40-inspired, street legal and modern Supercar. Once the car was on the road, several of the engineers who had worked on the Supercar turned their attention to a supercharged Mustang.

Ford had consulted with Shelby while developing the GT and sought his expertise as well for the souped-up Mustang that would bear his name.

Shelby was sent early design sketches for the car and later was invited into the design studio to see clay models. He helped make sure that design elements werent done merely for aesthetics, but for dynamic function.

Carroll can look at a car and tell if its fake, said one design studio staffer. He validated that we were giving the customer the total package, both in function and in the aesthetically pleasing look.

Carroll was really involved from early on, said one Ford engineer, who noted that Shelby participated in test drives and convinced the Ford team that the suspension needed even more stiffening and larger rear wheels and tires than called for in early designs.

Not only did Shelby suggest those changes, the engineer said, but Shelby was really instrumental in pushing [the changes] within the Ford Motor Companys management. Hes very well respected. That respect gives him more influence.

Both the vehicle engineer and the design staffer also said it meant a lot to the team to have its work validated by none other than Shelby, the living legend.

When the Shelby GT500 was introduced as a 2007 model, it was the most powerful factory-built Mustang in history. Like the Ford GT, the GT500 was powered by a 5.4-Liter V8 engine.

The original Shelby GT500 Mustang in 1968 drew its energy from a normally aspired 7.0-Liter (428cid) V8 that pumped out 360 horsepower and 420 ft/lb of torque.

The engine in the 2007 Shelby GT500 displaced only 5.4 liters (330cid) but was supercharged to 500 horsepower and 480 ft/lb of torque.

The first one of those new GT500s would be sold, not by a Ford dealer, but at Barrett-Jackson, with proceeds going to Shelbys foundation to benefit children, especially children who needed organ transplants. Shelby himself had been a transplant recipient as an adult and had a special affection for others who needed such drastic medical treatment, especially the youngest of patients.

The bidding for that first GT500 was not only spirited, but the numbers grew substantially. Finally, the hammer fell at an astounding $648,000.

Ford was so thrilled with that bid that it invited the winning bidder Ron Pratte, a Barrett-Jackson customer known for his high bids on vehicles to support worthy charities to tour the Flat Rock assembly plant and get his car. Ford also told Pratte he could bring along Barrett-Jackson President Steve Davis and Vice President of Consignment Gary Bennett, who could each buy a low-VIN GT500 at Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price, and Pratte could also buy two more at the MSRP a coupe and a convertible.

When Ron bought the first GT500, he paid a zillion dollars for it, Bennett said. It was an amazing thing he did for charity, and Ford ponied up and said, You did so much for us, well let you buy the others for sticker.

While Pratte is keeping the car with VIN No. 1, he is selling the orange coupe and convertible as a set.

The cars were specially serialized sequentially, Bennett said. In the past, when they did a new run, the first 50 or so cars were consumed by the Ford family and senior executives or by other people on a selective list.

For the GT500, not only would Pratte, Davis and Bennett be on that selective list, but right up at the front.

We made a tour of the factory and there they were, our cars, lined up at the end of the assembly line, Bennett recalled. Carroll signed the cars and presented us with the keys. He got his GT500 at the same time.

- See more at: http://news.barrett-jackson.com/2007-shelbys/#sthash.Z33XYYTf.dpuf

Those we're exciting times, and Ford was forging ahead with real performance even though when there were no other competitors at the time. The public attention and sales success (remember the $5,000 to $10,000 over MSRP days?) apparently convinced both GM and Chrysler (Daimler-Benz), that there was still an enthusiast market out there for these vehicles. This forum really caught fire when word of a GT500KR in development hit, and you can see here, that passion has never waned. The car was and is, an absolute home run!

i think it's also important to point out a few FACTS that seem to have gotten lost in the arguing, which are the following:

1. This is NOT a KR forum. This is a KR "thread" inside of a Team Shelby forum, which encompasses all Shelby-related vehicles. This is self-evident when you look at the forum's breadcrumb navigation at the top of this page.... Team Shelby → Shelby GT500 Forum → Shelby GT500 (2007-2009) → Shelby GT500KR (2008-2009).

2. The question was posed as to what are the differences between a GT500 and a GT500KR. All of the intangibles aside, the physical differences can be listed out (and have been). The GT500 and GT500KR share 99% of their DNA, so arguing about which is "better" is purely subjective. All the romanticism about future collect-ability and pedigree is petty, at best. I already posted reasons why I chose NOT to buy a KR (or any SAI-modified vehicle). That was not intended to offend KR owners to incite a rebellion against GT500 owners about whose car is better or whose car is "real" or not. It was intended to illustrate a point that the various flavors of these late-model Shelbys appeal to different people for different reasons.

i think it's also important to point out a few FACTS that seem to have gotten lost in the arguing, which are the following:

1. This is NOT a KR forum. This is a KR "thread" inside of a Team Shelby forum, which encompasses all Shelby-related vehicles. This is self-evident when you look at the forum's breadcrumb navigation at the top of this page.... Team Shelby → Shelby GT500 Forum → Shelby GT500 (2007-2009) → Shelby GT500KR (2008-2009).

2. The question was posed as to what are the differences between a GT500 and a GT500KR. All of the intangibles aside, the physical differences can be listed out (and have been). The GT500 and GT500KR share 99% of their DNA, so arguing about which is "better" is purely subjective. All the romanticism about future collect-ability and pedigree is petty, at best. I already posted reasons why I chose NOT to buy a KR (or any SAI-modified vehicle). That was not intended to offend KR owners to incite a rebellion against GT500 owners about whose car is better or whose car is "real" or not. It was intended to illustrate a point that the various flavors of these late-model Shelbys appeal to different people for different reasons.

Your facts are a bit skewed. (...and I'm not arguing)

1. Yes, this IS a KR thread, but it was posted in a KR sub forum.

2. The GT-500 and the GT-500KR are two different cars with different capabilities in "stock" form. Sure they share "DNA", but so does the Shelby GT, Super Snake, 40th Anniversary, S/E, and any late model Shelby Mustang.

Future collect-ability is something no one can clearly know. What I do know is, if it comes down to "collect-ability", factors such as: limited numbers, pre-titled, engine size/HP, select options....etc, will play a role. How much of a role? Well, that remains to be seen.

For the record, I never seen a "fake" car. I thought all of our cars were "real".

Does that mean the Daytona coupe I'm building isn't real ? Could have fooled me because I can go into my garage right now and touch it. While it may not be an "original", I can promise you it's very "real".

Funny stuff that's been said in both this and the (not a) KR splitter thread. The KR reminds me in a small way, of another car that has had more fake, and/or reproduction parts and modifications to it, to resemble the top of the line performance model - the original Mini. With that car, the one to have was the Cooper S; everyone into Minis wanted a real S, but only about 19,000 total were made over a 9 year period. There are probably now about (guessing) 100,000 Cooper S fakes running around, most of which can outperform the factory originals. While anyone can swap on original S parts and build car that looks identical to the original, it take a combination of those parts and the all-important welded-on body # and screwed-on VIN tag to make it the real thing. Provenance certainly helps. A little info clipped from Wikipedia:

"A more powerful Mini Cooper, dubbed the "S", was developed in tandem and released in 1963. Featuring a 1071 cc engine with a 70.61 mm bore and nitrided steel crankshaft and strengthened bottom end to allow further tuning; and larger servo-assisted disc brakes, 4,030 Cooper S cars were produced and sold until the model was updated in August 1964. Cooper also produced two S models specifically for circuit racing in the under 1,000 cc and under 1,300 cc classes respectively, rated at 970 cc (59 cu in) and a 1,275 cc (77.8 cu in), both had a 70.61 mm (2.780 in) bore and both of which were also offered to the public. The smaller-engine model was not well received, and only 963 had been built when the model was discontinued in 1965. The 1,275 cc Cooper S models continued in production until 1971.

Sales of the Mini Cooper were as follows: 64,000 Mark I Coopers with 997 cc or 998 cc engines; 19,000 Mark I Cooper S with 970 cc, 1,071 cc or 1,275 cc engines; 16,000 Mark II Coopers with 998 cc engines; 6,300 Mark II Cooper S with 1,275 cc engines. There were no Mark III Coopers and just 1,570 Mark III Cooper S.

The Mini Cooper S won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1964, 1965 and 1967.[45] Minis were initially placed first, second and third in the 1966 rally as well, but were disqualified after a controversial decision by the French judges. The disqualification related to the use of a variable resistance headlamp dimming circuit in place of a dual-filament lamp.[46] It should be noted that the Citroën DS that was eventually awarded first place had illegal white headlamps but escaped disqualification.[47] The driver of the Citroën, Pauli Toivonen, was reluctant to accept the trophy and vowed that he would never race for Citroën again.[48] BMC probably received more publicity from the disqualification than they would have gained from a victory.[49]"

So, for anyone saying that their GT500 is better than the KR, I'll have to say OK; you may well be right.... But it's still not the top of the line, super-low production model, factory made (OK; finished) by Shelby and sold through Ford, for '08 and '09. That's where our KRs differ most. Anyone can get look-alike parts and screw 'em on. Anyone can think that the mods they had done make the car better than the top factory offering. It's all in your perspective.

I'll take the real thing. :)

Pedigree?

In January 2006, the Ford Motor Company offered the bidders at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale an opportunity to own the very first 2007 Shelby GT500 off the assembly line.

Sure, the winning bidder would have to wait a while to claim his or her car, but theyd get to do it right at the assembly plant in Flat Rock, Mich. Oh, and there might also be some other perks of winning the bid.

Amazingly, neither Ford nor Barrett-Jackson would make any money off this car. Ford was donating the car, and Barrett-Jackson was forgoing its usual fees because the car was being auctioned to raise money for charity, in this case, for the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation.

This new 2007 Shelby GT500 was a modern interpretation of the legendary GT500, a car Shelby launched in 1967. As a prototype for the production car rolled into position on the block in early 2006, Shelby himself was there along with Edsel Ford II the great-grandson of Henry Ford, the grandson of Edsel Ford and the son of Henry Ford II. The two had first met at LeMans when Edsel II was 16 and traveling with his father, sometimes called Hank the Deuce.

Back in the 1960s, Shelby and Hank the Deuce were both more than ticked off at Enzo Ferrari. But with his Ford-powered Cobras, Shelby would beat not only Ferraris best but also Chevrolets heralded Corvette in production sports car racing. With the Ford GT40 program, he also helped Ford beat Ferrari at LeMans. Shelby and Ford also worked together to soup-up Fords Mustang and turn it into a winner on the race track and on the street.

At the North American International Auto Show in downtown Detroit in January 2003, Ford had unveiled the Mustang GT concept car, a car that immediately reminded everyone who saw it of the famed Mustangs of the past, the fastback cars Shelby and his team had turned into a national racing champion.

This new Mustang concept was retro done right, just enough heritage styling cues in a thoroughly contemporary package.

As it turned out, the Mustang GT concept car was not only a precursor to a new-generation Mustang, but with a supercharged V8 engine under its hood, it was actually a preview of what Ford would roll out for the 2007 model year as the Shelby GT500.

In 2003, the Ford Motor Company celebrated its centennial by launching the Ford GT, a GT40-inspired, street legal and modern Supercar. Once the car was on the road, several of the engineers who had worked on the Supercar turned their attention to a supercharged Mustang.

Ford had consulted with Shelby while developing the GT and sought his expertise as well for the souped-up Mustang that would bear his name.

Shelby was sent early design sketches for the car and later was invited into the design studio to see clay models. He helped make sure that design elements werent done merely for aesthetics, but for dynamic function.

Carroll can look at a car and tell if its fake, said one design studio staffer. He validated that we were giving the customer the total package, both in function and in the aesthetically pleasing look.

Carroll was really involved from early on, said one Ford engineer, who noted that Shelby participated in test drives and convinced the Ford team that the suspension needed even more stiffening and larger rear wheels and tires than called for in early designs.

Not only did Shelby suggest those changes, the engineer said, but Shelby was really instrumental in pushing [the changes] within the Ford Motor Companys management. Hes very well respected. That respect gives him more influence.

Both the vehicle engineer and the design staffer also said it meant a lot to the team to have its work validated by none other than Shelby, the living legend.

When the Shelby GT500 was introduced as a 2007 model, it was the most powerful factory-built Mustang in history. Like the Ford GT, the GT500 was powered by a 5.4-Liter V8 engine.

The original Shelby GT500 Mustang in 1968 drew its energy from a normally aspired 7.0-Liter (428cid) V8 that pumped out 360 horsepower and 420 ft/lb of torque.

The engine in the 2007 Shelby GT500 displaced only 5.4 liters (330cid) but was supercharged to 500 horsepower and 480 ft/lb of torque.

The first one of those new GT500s would be sold, not by a Ford dealer, but at Barrett-Jackson, with proceeds going to Shelbys foundation to benefit children, especially children who needed organ transplants. Shelby himself had been a transplant recipient as an adult and had a special affection for others who needed such drastic medical treatment, especially the youngest of patients.

The bidding for that first GT500 was not only spirited, but the numbers grew substantially. Finally, the hammer fell at an astounding $648,000.

Ford was so thrilled with that bid that it invited the winning bidder Ron Pratte, a Barrett-Jackson customer known for his high bids on vehicles to support worthy charities to tour the Flat Rock assembly plant and get his car. Ford also told Pratte he could bring along Barrett-Jackson President Steve Davis and Vice President of Consignment Gary Bennett, who could each buy a low-VIN GT500 at Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price, and Pratte could also buy two more at the MSRP a coupe and a convertible.

When Ron bought the first GT500, he paid a zillion dollars for it, Bennett said. It was an amazing thing he did for charity, and Ford ponied up and said, You did so much for us, well let you buy the others for sticker.

While Pratte is keeping the car with VIN No. 1, he is selling the orange coupe and convertible as a set.

The cars were specially serialized sequentially, Bennett said. In the past, when they did a new run, the first 50 or so cars were consumed by the Ford family and senior executives or by other people on a selective list.

For the GT500, not only would Pratte, Davis and Bennett be on that selective list, but right up at the front.

We made a tour of the factory and there they were, our cars, lined up at the end of the assembly line, Bennett recalled. Carroll signed the cars and presented us with the keys. He got his GT500 at the same time.

- See more at: http://news.barrett-jackson.com/2007-shelbys/#sthash.Z33XYYTf.dpuf

Seems your really pained by this issue. No one said the standard GT500 did not involve Carroll Shelby. We all know Carroll was consulted and allowed the use of his name. No one doubts Carroll had some input. However, whatever his "percentage" of involvement was with Ford as to the GT500 you would look and and sound silly to argue his involvement was not substantially deeper and beyond a mere consulting level with the KR that was a car actually completed by his company for sale, not Ford and has SAI as the manufacturer of record.

Quoting some Barrett Jackson article as to what a 2007 GT500 hammered for means nothing today...and your point is???

This is the KR forum or "sub-forum" (excuse me). This is not a thread of the Team Shelby site. Stop the silliness.

I don't know how you calculated your 99%. Is there some forumula?

I would argue your percentages are off. The physical list of differences are fairly extensive and expensive. Price wise at least, what 25% of the total purchase price. Then factor in the intangibles including various components designed/created by SAI and the fact the car is completed by SAI for sale with additional and totally different documentation and far more limited in production. I get a different percentage.

No one is putting down the GT500. However, you can't expect to come on the KR "sub-forum" and implicitly argue the standard car is on the same footing. Very simply its not. The KR was the pinicle of the GT500 food chain in 2008-2009 and you would be hard pressed to find any 2008 to 2009 GT500 owner that wouldn't pass up an even up trade for a GT500KR. Moreover, there aren't too many KR owners that would trade their cars for a 2014 GT500 despite the power difference. Adding a blower is easy. Building your own KR is impossible.

I passed up a trade for a mint 2012 Boss 302S even up for my KR. I was tempted but already have a standard Boss for the track with comp suspension. The Boss S will likely drop in value and my bet the KR is on the way up. Look at Hemmings.

Try getting that trade with a production 2008 or 2009 GT500. Ponder that.

Nuff said.

i'm not pained by the issue at all. i am pained by your narrow-minded, black and white, 'my opinion is always right' attitude. i still don't want a KR, no matter how much you want to prove to me that i do. and the correct term is "enough said". in any event, i have already made my point. i'm bored with this topic and quite frankly, i'm bored with you and your ignorant responses.

i'm not pained by the issue at all. i am pained by your narrow-minded, black and white, 'my opinion is always right' attitude. i still don't want a KR, no matter how much you want to prove to me that i do. and the correct term is "enough said". in any event, i have already made my point. i'm bored with this topic and quite frankly, i'm bored with you and your ignorant responses.

Some things are black and white. Some facts are not subject to dispute or "opinion". I set forth all the facts that clearly and substantially separate the KR from a standard GT500. You still want to talk about your "opinion".

I didn't once say my "opinion" was right. You need to sharpen your reading and comprehension skills. What I said is "here are the facts" and provided all the factual information highlighting the substantial differences.

Ignorant? Ignorant is failure of knowledge. So far you have been one of the very few that fit that definition here. You do know the definition of "ignorant" correct?

What you really want to do is elevate a standard GT500 to the level of a KR as far as "Shelby pedigree" based on discussion of "opinion and "feeling". Not interested in ignoring facts just to make you feel better.

Also, I never once expected you to want a KR over a standard GT500 since in your own mind and opinion it's just as good if not better. Ignorance is bliss.

Since your bored with my "ignorant" responses I don't suppose you will be responding to this. :lol:

Archived