TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differences Between Gt-500Kr And Gt-500?

ZEROED

To answer what started the thread in the first place

Faux Fuel Cap

Centered Rear Shelby Emblem

Spoiler

Trunk Lid Cover

Rear Axle Cover

3.73 Rear Gears

Axle Back Exhaust

Axle Reservior

Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps

Head Rests

Shifter

Dash Plaque

Door Sill Plates

Floor Mats

Side & Grille Emblems (Wings)

H- Pipe Exhaust

Brake Cooling Kit w Lower Grille Brezels

Engine Cap Set

Cold Air Kit with Tune

Carbon Fiber Front Splitter

Carbon Fiber Hood with Real Locking Pins

Hood Emblem

Strips

Engine Strut Tower Brace

Front Sway Bar

Lowering Springs and Shocks

Rims With Center Caps

Tires

CSI TAG

Shelby Series One --- " the Series 1 is the only car ever designed and engineered by Carroll Shelby from a clean sheet of paper, and built from the ground up. Note that all other Shelby's are re-engineered models produced by other manufacturers and modified by Shelby, prior to production of the Series One" ---- Hemmings Motor News

Without turning this into a battle the 60's era cars HAVE pedigree, the modern Shelby has the name. The new Shelby GT500 and KR are great cars but the credit really goes to Ford. Shelby American still builds cars conversions the GT350, SS, Focus, Raptor just to name few. The part where the modern cars lost me is when Shelby started out sourcing conversions, not all are built in Vegas.

Shelby was a great man that is no doubt, but he was also a great businessman and knew the value of name recognition.

Ok...Fact check...

What CAR did SAI build in the 60s? Name one with the debatable exception of the Daytona. Shelby American did the same thing with Ford products/cars then as now but the cars are newer.

Same pedigree different era.

Also, while your list is fairly exhaustive it totally leaves off the most critical differences. CS's and SAIs responsibility for bringing back the KR, not Ford's, their instrumental involvement in design and development and the pre title completion of KRs at SAI. Clearly significant differences that can not rationally be denied.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tune is different in the KR, it is essentially the Pro-Cal tune you get with the TVS upgrade.

I don't believe that is factually correct. The tune might be different if Shelby American did anything to it while the car was in Vegas. Otherwise, it was provided by Ford Racing Performance Parts to match the specific kit it belongs to. In this case... http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/FORD_RACING_SHELBY_GT500_POWER_UPGRADE_PACK_p/m-2007-fr1svt.htm.

Ford SVT tuned the car prior to it departing for SAI. Shelby had no involvement with the tune. I've seen the two tunes side by side (KR / Procal) on a computer and they are 99% identical.

Oh and Captain Beyond, you need to post some pictures of that great looking car, and I need to work on capturing a picture of mine that looks as sharp as the one posted by ViperNC, great color by the way!

Thanks for the compliments. I also need to work on pics for mine, but it's nothing really special. It's just a GT500 with a tag. :airquote:

Ok...Fact check...

What CAR did SAI build in the 60s? Name one with the debatable exception of the Daytona. Shelby American did the same thing with Ford products/cars then as now but the cars are newer.

Same pedigree different era.

Also, while your list is fairly exhaustive it totally leaves off the most critical differences. CS's and SAIs responsibility for bringing back the KR, not Ford's, their instrumental involvement in design and development and the pre title completion of KRs at SAI. Clearly significant differences that can not rationally be denied.

The list that I posted is what the OP asked for in the first place I thought he should at least get that out of all this. lol

You are the one that said Shelby never manufactured anything, all I did was prove you wrong.

And if you think that Carroll Shelby had the same amount of involvement with the new era GT500 that he did with the GT500 and other Shelby cars from the 60's well............ You could ask a owner of a 68 KR and see if he thinks the new KR is anything more then a novilty built car based on the 68's heritage. Look you got a great car, I got a great car! We both got what we wanted! Bottom line they are all great cars even the ones not built in Vegas. lighten up Francis

The list that I posted is what the OP asked for in the first place I thought he should at least get that out of all this. lol

You are the one that said Shelby never manufactured anything, all I did was prove you wrong.

And if you think that Carroll Shelby had the same amount of involvement with the new era GT500 that he did with the GT500 and other Shelby cars from the 60's well............ You could ask a owner of a 68 KR and see if he thinks the new KR is anything more then a novilty built car based on the 68's heritage. Look you got a great car, I got a great car! We both got what we wanted! Bottom line they are all great cars even the ones not built in Vegas. lighten up Francis

Yes, the OP should get a list. A complete list. You left significant differences off your list. I pointed them out.

Historically SAI did not manufacture cars with the exception of the Series One and arguably a limited run of Daytonas. SAI primarily modified and improved performance of other manufacturer's cars most notably Ford.

Ok, I missed the Series One (you proved me wrong on that small oversight) but you keep missing the facts on the point I'm making and you are clearly way wrong.

What do I care what owners of '68 KR's think? Who anointed them with pre-eminent knowledge and say? Facts are facts. Shelby conceived the original KR and the new generation KR. Both were built off of existing Ford Mustang platforms. Both cars had significant input from Shelby. The current generation even being completed at SAI for sale and shipment to Ford showrooms.

You want to talk extent of involvement of Shelby in the Shelby automobiles from the 60s and recent generation before his death.? Talk to Gary Patterson and Roger Sorrell and read the history books. The parallels are all there. CS was responsible for the KR, trademarked the name, he was responsible for the upgrade in performance of the original as to the specific differences, he was responsible for the current KR being brought back for a limited run and it's upgrades and KR exclusive parts. He owned at least two KR's himself. SAI was heavily involved in performance testing and performance upgrades. If you know different again, why don't you enlighten us all with the facts not just broad stoke statements.

The new KR is no more or no less a novelty item compared to the current GT500 then the original was a novelty item compared to a the original GT500 back then. In fact they exist in the same novelty item amounts. 1576.

You want me to lighten up and you the one telling me owners of originals are likely to see my car a novelty item? Really. Get real.

Don't come here and piss on my head and tell me it's just raining.

P.S. Please post the number of original KR owners you polled on the subject.

What do I care what owners of '68 KR's think? Who anointed them with pre-eminent knowledge and say? Facts are facts. Shelby conceived the original KR and the new generation KR. Both were built off of existing Ford Mustang platforms. Both cars had significant input from Shelby. The current generation even being completed at SAI for sale and shipment to Ford showrooms.

You want to talk extent of involvement of Shelby in the Shelby automobiles from the 60s and recent generation before his death.? Talk to Gary Patterson and Roger Sorrell and read the history books. The parallels are all there. CS was responsible for the KR, trademarked the name, he was responsible for the upgrade in performance of the original as to the specific differences, he was responsible for the current KR being brought back for a limited run and it's upgrades and KR exclusive parts. He owned at least two KR's himself. SAI was heavily involved in performance testing and performance upgrades. If you know different again, why don't you enlighten us all with the facts not just broad stoke statements.

The new KR is no more or no less a novelty item compared to the current GT500 then the original was a novelty item compared to a the original GT500 back then. In fact they exist in the same novelty item amounts. 1576.

You want me to lighten up and you the one telling me owners of originals are likely to see my car a novelty item? Really. Get real.

Don't come here and piss on my head and tell me it's just raining.

P.S. Please post the number of original KR owners you polled on the subject.

Why are you turning this into a battle ?

And you shouldn't care what they think, anymore then anyone else should care what you think..... I mean come on.

If Shelby did all the development and testing why are all the parts in the Ford Racing Cat.............wait Shelby got to keep all the hoods and spiltters... sorry didnt want to leave that out. I have never said that Shelby's people didn't test the cars and help with the delvelopment. What I am saying is that Ford in the end did most of the leg work. And not one of the people you named will ever tell you or anyone else that Carroll Shelby spent more time developing the 2008 KR in his mid 80's as he did in his mid 30's building the cars of the 60's with a straight face!

And if you are going to quote numbers get them right! 2008-2009 GT500KR production numbers were more then 1576 as a matter of fact they were not even 1576 in 2008........... Look it up!

I have talked to several owners on 60's era Shelby's that feel the modern cars are just a novelty of their cars. Which is no different then you are feeling and acting right now about the modern GT500KR vs the modern GT500. Not one has said the new cars are bad, just that they dont feel the same about them. And that they feel it was mainly a profit driven product of the 60's era Shelby history. Now I know this because that is what they called mine "a novilty car" to my face lol. But WAIT you have a 09 KR, I don't, its got to be different right. You really need to get out more man and talk to some of the guys that collect these older Shelbys.....oh and I wouldn't tell you it was rain ;)

Sorry to everyone else! I never posted until this and said at the start I didnt want to be the bad guy so I'm just going back to my hole.

And again lighten-up Francis

Shelby was never a hands on guy turning spaners.. Excuse me but please cite your sources that "Ford" did most of the leg work. Oh, you mean like supply the car and hi Po parts? Funny, that's exactly what happened from '62 to'68. Funny too that if you check the old Ford performance catalogs you will see all the original go fast parts Shelby used back then too.

Please list for me all the go fast Hi Po parts Shelby manufactured in the 60s? Please I'd love to know.

Further, I couldn't care less what some owners of originals think. Really? What guides me are facts.

Gee, caught me in the minutiae again. 1593 KRs for US and 260 more Canadian. My apologies.

I'm not acting in any manner nor consider a GT500 a novelty item. I am pointing out two more differences, substantial and meaningful differences to many between the KR and a regular production GT500. You are the one that is trying to water down the differences to suite your own purpose. Not happening here.

Oh, and yes my KR is different from your car. Review your list and the two missing items I pointed out. Almost forgot...only 1593 produced for the US. Add that.

Face it, the only thing "Shelby" on a GT500 or a GT500KR are the 6 letters across the trunk (and across the hood on a KR).

Phill

I keep seeing people say "it's well documented" (Shelby's contribution). So that's easy enough to prove.

Provide the DOCUMENTATION.

Phill

I keep seeing people say "it's well documented" (Shelby's contribution). So that's easy enough to prove.

Provide the DOCUMENTATION.

Phill

All KR's came with a window sticker from SAI, but I am sure that isn't going to be good enough. Next it will be where is the video of Carroll building each KR himself.

It still amazes me at the number of GT500's out there that seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the KR. Just let it go. Who cares.

I don't get all the hostile attitude that this subject always seems to bring out. The KR is what it is. A pre-title package that was available in a limited quantity for two years. I wonder do the Boss 302 guys quarrel like this?

All KR's came with a window sticker from SAI, but I am sure that isn't going to be good enough. Next it will be where is the video of Carroll building each KR himself.

I'm not talking about the actual adding of Ford Racing & Plasan parts, I know Shelby Automotive Inc. did that (it's shown in their "Driving" Magazine).

I'm talking about the claim that Carroll and somewhat, SAI developed it, R&D'd it, etc. etc. This claim was made earlier in this thread. I can go back and quote it if you can't find it.

It's not the first time I've heard/seen someone say "It's well documented" but NEVER has anyone produced the documentation.

Phill

To answer what started the thread in the first place

Faux Fuel Cap

Centered Rear Shelby Emblem

Spoiler

Trunk Lid Cover

Rear Axle Cover

3.73 Rear Gears

Axle Back Exhaust

Axle Reservior

Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps

Head Rests

Shifter

Dash Plaque

Door Sill Plates

Floor Mats

Side & Grille Emblems (Wings)

H- Pipe Exhaust

Brake Cooling Kit w Lower Grille Brezels

Engine Cap Set

Cold Air Kit with Tune

Carbon Fiber Front Splitter

Carbon Fiber Hood with Real Locking Pins

Hood Emblem

Strips

Engine Strut Tower Brace

Front Sway Bar

Lowering Springs and Shocks

Rims With Center Caps

Tires

CSI TAG

Shelby Series One --- " the Series 1 is the only car ever designed and engineered by Carroll Shelby from a clean sheet of paper, and built from the ground up. Note that all other Shelby's are re-engineered models produced by other manufacturers and modified by Shelby, prior to production of the Series One" ---- Hemmings Motor News

Without turning this into a battle the 60's era cars HAVE pedigree, the modern Shelby has the name. The new Shelby GT500 and KR are great cars but the credit really goes to Ford. Shelby American still builds cars conversions the GT350, SS, Focus, Raptor just to name few. The part where the modern cars lost me is when Shelby started out sourcing conversions, not all are built in Vegas.

Shelby was a great man that is no doubt, but he was also a great businessman and knew the value of name recognition.

+1. I think the subject has officially been exhausted. Makes for good reading though.

One thing I've noticed over the year is Shelby owners have a tendency to really emphasize what production number their car was, how many were built, and specifically what package and how many of that package they are. Anything to feel exclusivity, but why?

I mean I guess I've seen that done with other cars too, but its so typical to see "number this of this" and by the end of the list of what is specific people say "only 1 of 10, whoa exclusive and rare. Beat that".

Whats wrong with just enjoying the car, its the car you want. I would love to have a KR, I dream of it and am saving every day but I doubt I'll ever find one or be in the position to get one the way I want. Its a shame, but the dream there is "the way I want". Have the car the way you want, enjoy it, have the version you want, and appreciate yours as well as others in the way they wanted theirs. Comparisons, exclusivity, superiority. Even if it is exclusive, even 1 of 10 or 1 of 5, the exclusivity shouldn't define the car, should it? I just don't get it. :shrug:

I'm not talking about the actual adding of Ford Racing & Plasan parts, I know Shelby Automotive Inc. did that (it's shown in their "Driving" Magazine).

I'm talking about the claim that Carroll and somewhat, SAI developed it, R&D'd it, etc. etc. This claim was made earlier in this thread. I can go back and quote it if you can't find it.

It's not the first time I've heard/seen someone say "It's well documented" but NEVER has anyone produced the documentation.

Phill

It seems like guys who own standard Shelby GT500s like to pee in the KR swimming pool all the time. Sour grapes no doubt. Every time the "differences" between the standard GT500 and the KR are discussed wtih OP intent just to get a list of factual differences guys who own standard GT500's always jump in and start trying to establish their cars are just as "special". Very simply, no they are not. Period. If you are that bugged by it go buy a KR while they are still very very good buys cause the values are gonna go up. Standard '08-09 GT500 are going down. Thats my advice to you.

BTW, I didn't say documentation. I said to 07TungstenGT500 provide the detailed "facts" of Carroll Shelby's involvement with the developement of the standard GT500. Other than his "commercially approving" the final product for 2007 as there is no evidence or facts of SAI or CS being involved in developement or engineering or testing I'm still waiting for the "facts" he was alluding to. Looks like he left the building wtih Elvis.

Oh, and Phil, "Shelby" lettering was put on both the Standard Shelby GT500 and KR. True. Also true that Shelby didn't manufacture the lettering itself. Likely neither did Ford. Shelby is not a parts manufacturer. Never has been. Fact. They now design some mod parts for manufacture but historically never did. Not then. Not now.

HIstorically all SAI ever did was to modify other vehicles to their specs and in many cases in conjunction with Ford. The list is long as to the cars filling that description.

If you want "documentation" one source is to contact Gary Patterson at SAI and see what actual file drawer documentation he can provide or Jamal Hameedi, Chief engineer at SVT. There is documentation that is public, however.

Motor Trend, June 2007, Vol. 59; No.6. Page 48; "The once and future King". This article discusses at length the history of the KR. The fact that the KR name plate was brought back on the effort and idea of Amy Boylan and Gary Patterson. It discusses the "working" partnership between SAI and SVT in the development of the car and the testing at SAI at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Hameedi noted some of the expensive exclusive parts such as a the hood being developed with functioning air ducts and stated "yes it's expensive but but this is a special car". That's coming from Chief SVT engineer Jamal Hameedi not me. Jamal is a very well known and respected SVT engineer in the industry.

Want more documentation? 2007 Shelby Annual Magazine; Page 72. "Return of the King". This article discusses again the actual working partnership in the development of the KR between SAI and SVT. The article quotes another SVT chief engineer Doug Gaffka "This was a great effort between Ford and Shelby Automobiles". It also notes that Shelby Performance parts was further actively involved in creating components for the KR. The article also notes most of the testing was done at the Shelby facility in Las Vegas with guys like Patterson, well known SAI test driver test driving and providing feed back for changes.

More? Ok. 2008 Shelby Annual; page 57; "Building the GT500KR. Jamal Hameedi referring to SAI notes in this article that "they are doing the manufacturing, which really opens up some neat content that we wouldn't have been able to do". The article goes on to again note the "working" partnership on the KR in developement design and testing between SVT and SAI production starting with incomplete GT500 being removed from the line at Ford's AAI assembly plant and shipped to SAI for completion. The article goes on to note: "The KR is much more than a GT500 with 40 more horsepower. The team specially engineered the KR as a total package." Gee, sorry for the repeat I know I pointed out that Chief engineer Hameedi already said that.

You want more documentation? Look under the hood. Every KR has an engine plate pop riveted under the hood on the driver side attesing to the fact the KR was completed and manufactured at SAI. Does a standard GT500 have this plate?

You want more? Ok. Every KR came with a window sticker from SAI on the dealer floor attesting to SAI's pivotal role in the production of the KR. Did standard GT500's come with a Shelby window sticker?

Want more still? Sure. SAI applied two stickers to the inside door jam as a manufacturer requirement. One providing the tire pressures for the specially developed Goodyear wingtip tires SPECIALLY developed for the KR and the other a blue sticker of likely more interest to collectors noting "This vehicle was altered by Shelby American in ...".put in year of specific car"......and as altered conforms to all applicable motor vehicle satiety, bumper and theft prevention standards in effect..."

Does the standard GT500 have those?

You do know who Colin Comer is don't you? If you don't you should. He is one of the recognized authorities on Shelby and his cars. In his book "The Complete Book of Shelby Automobiles" he notes on page 252 "The KR was a true Shelby project. with considerable design and development done by both Shelby and SVT. It is also an honest to goodness Shelby modified car"

So, in the end while both the GT500 and KR have Shelby lettering (by the way the KR's letter is different lettering) the KR lettering pattern was designed by Shelby and was at least applied at SAI not a Michighan assembly plant.

I really wish the guys with standard GT500's would stop coming here and peeing in the KR pool. They should go back to the GT500 kiddie pool where there is less Shelby testosterone.

CS was not a guy ever turning spanners in the 60's or current generation while he was alive. His work was through his knowledge, experience, input and vision with the mechanical work and testing done by talented mechanics and drivers. Then and now.

Hope this helps.

It seems like guys who own standard Shelby GT500s like to pee in the KR swimming pool all the time. Sour grapes no doubt.....

Wow. I thought this was just going to be an interesting discussion. You're a little to proud of yourself for my taste. I'm out. whatever.gif

One thing I've noticed over the year is Shelby owners have a tendency to really emphasize what production number their car was, how many were built, and specifically what package and how many of that package they are. Anything to feel exclusivity, but why?

I mean I guess I've seen that done with other cars too, but its so typical to see "number this of this" and by the end of the list of what is specific people say "only 1 of 10, whoa exclusive and rare. Beat that".

Whats wrong with just enjoying the car, its the car you want. I would love to have a KR, I dream of it and am saving every day but I doubt I'll ever find one or be in the position to get one the way I want. Its a shame, but the dream there is "the way I want". Have the car the way you want, enjoy it, have the version you want, and appreciate yours as well as others in the way they wanted theirs. Comparisons, exclusivity, superiority. Even if it is exclusive, even 1 of 10 or 1 of 5, the exclusivity shouldn't define the car, should it? I just don't get it. :shrug:

............and the reality is, "Rare" does not always mean overly valuable, except maybe a dreaming owner.

I like them all (Mustangs that is), as a matter of fact I like Muscle old and new, and even some of the Asian and European performance offerings.

It will be such a different time if/when these cars do go somewhere like BJ, and hammer for Big/Huge $$$, the buyers will be buying their "Dream Cars" that were built around the world from what they grew up with 20-30 years earlier and now desire (and can afford) a pristine example. This is so different from the recent past when American Muscle and some foreign exotics were it, and before that old American cars that their generation(s) grew up with.

R

Wow. I thought this was just going to be an interesting discussion. You're a little to proud of yourself for my taste. I'm out. whatever.gif

Not interested in "interesting discussions" that involve personal opinions peeing in our pool. Those guys can go pee in there own pool. Not here.

That might be funny if it made any sense. They can certainly have their stink bugs back. The Chinese can go screw.

The wall of text....

Come on, anyone? Just me. Meh, I thought it was funny. :surrender: Its not a personal attack, by the way, it was just a big post in need of a good laugh.

When I first became a Shelby owner I had no idea these types of arguments would ensue. Frankly, I find it all pretty silly. Those who don't own a SAI car vs. those who do. CS did this, CS did that...or didn't; who knows.

When it comes right down to it, the cars with the CSM numbers will be more collectable and worth more money; more than those without it. So everyone can bitch and moan all they want too because no one's ever going to concede so no one's ever going to win.

I find this forum very entertaining and even a little educational, but I'm easily entertained and not very bright. :)

Have fun bashing each other's cars boys.

AK.

Interesting conversation. I have no use for KR owners who think the GT500 is not a Shelby and just as much use for GT500 owners who feel the need to discount the historical value of the new KR. I have owned both and I glad I did (do). I drive my KR, always will. When I kick it, someone wants to restore it, they can pay for it. It wont do me any good any more. They can even take it back to stock. Having owned both, loved both but the GT500 was definitely a flying pig on track. The KR, a totally different story. And of course, you can make a GT500 as fast or faster. They are based on the same car after all. As far as Shelby's involvement, its the same as it was in the 60's. Im sure Gary P could talk more intelligently than I can but, I do know, the 65 GT350 was made with all Ford, over the counter parts. Not racing parts, over the counter parts. Who wants to argue a 65 GT350 are not real Shelby's

Archived