TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Differences Between Gt-500Kr And Gt-500?

ZEROED

Exactly. It was the best GT500 on the planet in it's time. You can make it faster. Sure. But why? It's still plenty fast enough for the street. More than enough. The KR oozes with Shelby pedigree.

It's still one of the most exclusive Shelby's and one of the most special. That won't change.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Viper NC mentioned, it is all relative to each owner. As a KR owner, I can't possibly imagine a minute driving this car where I would be disappointed. Like AK, I measured pros and cons of dropping buckets of money in a std GT500 vs buying a KR and leaving it alone. Is the car perfect? No, far from it. For me, it represents the best SA, FR and SVT had to offer at the time while offering exclusivity, uniqueness, big power, killer looks and Shelby pedigree. Heck, Carroll even owned one himself. I am not a Shelby romantic nor a romantic recruiter. I just drive my KR whenever I have a chance because it makes me happy.

+1000 and well said. We buy the cars that grab our attention based upon personalities and desire. If it puts a smile on your face, then you have achieved your goal. And most KR owners would not dare modify their cars..... If I had gone that route, I would have left it exactly as it came off the showroom. My GT500 was a wobbly pig when I drove away from the dealership, but I saw the potential. Now it is a more than competent track weapon. I don't think the KR guys would ever say their Shelby was a wobbly pig. ;)

I have never heard the term "wobbly pig" too funny.. By the way Viper, I have said it before, I love your car and the mods you have done. Look forward to seeing it one day.

As usual, this thread has gone a different way. Now back on topic. I think 99% of the things have been mentioned about the differences. The rest is subject to owners opinion!

Carroll Shelby's and SAI's involvement with the KR was substantial, central and instrumental. Go tell Gary Patterson it wasn't. Carroll even owned a KR. Don't think he ever bothered to own a mass produced GT500

He owned two KR's. An 08 and a 09 both were black.

I have never heard the term "wobbly pig" too funny.. By the way Viper, I have said it before, I love your car and the mods you have done. Look forward to seeing it one day.

We need to make a driving trip through the mountains happen in the fall. If we can gain interest from guys in the SouthEast, I'm happy to lead/coordinate.

OK so I didn't agree with his comment, and perhaps it wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard on here, but I certainly don't believe it was all that intelligent. One might as well say they'd be disappointed driving a 67 GT500 or a 68 KR over a new Mustang.

It's not always about the ride...it's about the ride you're in.

IMO.

AK.

I wouldn't say the KR could in any way be described as a "wobbly pig" in the handling department. For it's weight it is very light on it's feet and a competent track car. Not a Boss 302 but it's not bad.

Was that a GT500KR owner who described their first hand experience as a "wobbly pig"? I have never heard that kind of description. I would think once the tires are warmed the KR would perform well for it's weight considering it is a street car. Is the Boss 302 that far ahead of the GT500KR? I know the B2 may be lighter, but I would think that where the heavier nosed KR may suffer in turns, it would make up for on the straights with brute power making these cars somewhat close in overall lap times............both on their street tires and both in their original street trim. Now S/C heat soak...........everything changes..........

Just asking? because I don't know.

But "wobbly pig"? I don't buy that........

R

Was that a GT500KR owner who described their first hand experience as a "wobbly pig"? I have never heard that kind of description. I would think once the tires are warmed the KR would perform well for it's weight considering it is a street car. Is the Boss 302 that far ahead of the GT500KR? I know the B2 may be lighter, but I would think that where the heavier nosed KR may suffer in turns, it would make up for on the straights with brute power making these cars somewhat close in overall lap times............both on their street tires and both in their original street trim. Now S/C heat soak...........everything changes..........

Just asking? because I don't know.

But "wobbly pig"? I don't buy that........

R

Agreed. However, the Boss does not suffer from heat soak and is less tiring to drive hard lap after lap.

all great comments. i take none of it personally because quite frankly you don't know me personally. and more importantly, i care more about what i think than what anybody else does anyway. and it is my opinion is that if i owned a KR or drove a KR now (after having had my GT500 for a while now), there's is NO way i wouldn't be disappointed. i'd be disappointed mostly by the lack of power... even if it had a pulley on the roots supercharger, because i've had that on my car already. i'd also be disappointed by a comparable 2007-09 "Super Snake"... mostly by the lack of traction, because i've had that problem on my car already. that's just my opinion and i'm entitled to it. from a sheer performance standpoint, my Shelby and FRPP mods have surpassed what SAI offered pre or post-title for an 07-09 GT500. that's what i wanted. the color combo i like and the mods i like. SAI didn't offer it and the additional cost they would have added to it to get it would not have been worth it to me anyway. doesn't mean my car is any less a Shelby or any better than your KR. just different and my preference. but quit shitting on everybody who didn't want a KR.

what bothers me, and why i chose to respond anyway, is the constant nonsense that i hear from lots of people on this forum about how special their cars are because they have been modded and plaqued at SAI. and how utterly second-class everyone else is who merely bought an SVT Shelby. that's great if you feel that way, but i do not feel that way, and it's factually incorrect. that is great that there are only 100 whatever KRs in red. big deal. there were only 387 coupes in tungsten gray with silver stripes ever produced and only in 2007 when the car debuted. and the color scheme matched the 2004 cobra V10 concept car, the 2004 mustang GT introduction car and the limited edition 2006 only model year, Ford GT. that was the original vision of Jay Mays and the Ford design team. That's pedigree. there's not another Shelby that meets that criteria...KR or otherwise. just because some person chose to pay extra for some special option on an aftermarket package doesn't automatically make it a truly special car. so it's 1 of 1? who cares. that means there was only 1 person who ordered there car that way... because no one else wanted the same things. Carroll was involved with all 06-14 Shelby Mustangs. That is a fact, and documented. And when the first red with white stripes car rolled onto the auction block, the basic, OEM Shelby GT500 vehicle fetched $600,000. that same color scheme and model was forever immortalized in the movie "I Am Legend". that's pedigree.

I know the 2010's use Knock Sensors but can't answer the rest of your question.

Phill

Your correct, the 2010 which was the last year of the cast iron block was also rated at 540 hp ( KR engine) which was due in part by knock sensors.... not sure the whole logistics but the 2010 GT500 did utilize the KR engine.

There is no actual SAI pedigree in the KR that doesn't also exist in the "mass produced" car with Shelby's name. Carroll was involved with ALL GT500s from 2007-2014 (moreso with 2007-2012).

What was Carroll Shelby's actual involvement with all standard GT500s? :headscratch:

now THAT is the dumbest thing i've heard so far. actually, it was the same level of involvement he had with your KR. i mean did you think he personally installed the cold-air kit on your car or what? he was consulted from the beginning on the Ford GT, the Ford Cobra Concept and the SVT Shelby GT500, as well as the development of the KR that began with a standard GT500 with Ford Racing parts. he was consulted on everything from the visual design to the engineering of the car. do you're own homework.

He test drove the cars, he suggested changes to the tires and suspension among other things, he also oversaw the the project and consulted with all of the engineers and designers. People think he just put his name on the car and that was it, but that's far from the truth.

AK.

now THAT is the dumbest thing i've heard so far. actually, it was the same level of involvement he had with your KR. i mean did you think he personally installed the cold-air kit on your car or what? he was consulted from the beginning on the Ford GT, the Ford Cobra Concept and the SVT Shelby GT500, as well as the development of the KR that began with a standard GT500 with Ford Racing parts. he was consulted on everything from the visual design to the engineering of the car. do you're own homework.

Wow, I ask a valid question and it's considered dumb. If you think he had anything to do with the engineering of the GT500, then that must be some good Kool-Aid you're drinking. :hysterical:

Do you think he personally installed his name on the back of your car? :hysterical2: These are and always will be SVT engineered cars.

Now, can we please get back on topic.

He test drove the cars, he suggested changes to the tires and suspension among other things, he also oversaw the the project and consulted with all of the engineers and designers. People think he just put his name on the car and that was it, but that's far from the truth.

AK.

If that's true, he didn't do a very good job. The first thing I did when I purchased my first GT500 was change the suspension and tires. That car handled like a "wobbly pig" in stock form.

If that's true, he didn't do a very good job. The first thing I did when I purchased my first GT500 was change the suspension and tires. That car handled like a "wobbly pig" in stock form.

Coming from someone who has owned both the KR and the GT500, you obviously get my "wobbly pig" analogy as it pertains to the GT500 in stock trim. A lot of my improvement ideas originated by looking at the KR closely to see what the difference was (and then the rest came from guys with experience on this forum to learn what worked best). The GT500 would roll in the corners, nose dive under hard braking, and lift the nose under hard acceleration. That's all fine if you want to go to the drag strip... I guess. I really don't know shit about drag racing so I am making assumptions here.

KR did not have those issues to the extent of the GT500. To me, that alone is a big difference between the two cars off the showroom floor. That and the price of course. So I used the savings for mods. ;)

AK.

I think Alcan was referring to the KR.

Listen, you want the skinny on the KR talk to Gary Patterson or Roger Sorrell. I have spoken to Roger at lenght about the car.

07TungstenGT500: You seem to confuse the concept of fact and opinion and lack an understanding of the definition of pedigree.

Whats comical is that you participate on the KR forum portion of the Team Shelby forum then put a turd in the middle of the lKR iving room and say you are tired of KR owners shitting on everyone?.

You proceed to say there are only "X" number of red KR's "big deal"? LOL. Then you launch is to "trivia" about 07 Tungsten GT500 convertibles? LOL.

It's very simple. Like it or not. Your car is not in the same orbit pedigree wise with a KR or anyother car coming through SAI and either being completed for sale to the public by SAI pre-title (very important especially if we are talking pedigree, grab a dictionary) or transformed post title. If you disagree you obviously have no intention of letting facts cloud your "opinion". Thats fine too. Yes you are entitled to your incorrect opinion on that issue. Your car has some Shelby pedigree to the extent it does but again no where near the pedigree that the KR has. Sorry, them is the facts.

Also, I didn't lose track of the fact that you never answered my question as to just precisely what was the extent of Carroll Shelby's involvment in the SVT GT500? It was Ford that conceived the idea for the GT500 for the 5.4 and it was Ford that asked Shelby to "use" his name for the car. Did Carroll discuss the car with them? Sure. His name was on the car. Did he conceive it? No. Did he have hands on development effort with it? No. Was he involved with it day to day during development or future developement? No. Did he show up for a video shoot and bless the end product as evidenced in Youtube video. I guess he did. BTW, he didn't even know there was a street named after him on the proving/testing grounds that attests to his "deep" involvement with the car.

I'm still waiting for your answer as to the specifics of Carroll's involvement beyond that "he was involved" and beyond what I cited. I'm waiting. Enlighten us.

The KR? Much different scenario. He conceived it. He was absolutely hands on. In fact he fought with Ford over some additional changes he wanted that Ford/SVT wouldn't agree to. While they gave SAI alot of the changes SAI wanted they had final say since it was a product being sold pre-title from Ford showrooms. He developed and worked with SAI along with Gary Patterson to transform the GT500 into what it should have been in the form of the KR as noted by much of the testers and the press. Only 1576 GT500's were taken off the assembly line at Ford before completed and salable to the public and shipped to SAI for COMPLETION per KR spec including even a change of stripe color and a number of exclusive KR parts along with FRPP mods were developed in KR testing. As a matter of fact the KR was so good Ford SVT used those mods for it's 2010 and 2011 GT500's sans of course the KR exclusive parts.

The fact that the 07 GT500 isn't what CS would have wanted as an end product is proved out irrefutably only a year later with the KR which HE CONCEIVED TO BRING BACK to make the car what he wanted. He got very close but was vetoed on certain by SVT such as 20" wheels and the TVS.

Your opinion that your car is just as "special" or "better" is fine. Those issues are different. You are entitled to your opinion on that.

You go on to demean the fact there were a very limited number of KR's by quipping "big deal" but then go to great lengths to explain the "limited number of Silver convertibles. Ok, there were 387 Tungsten Convertibles. Thats nice and may be a selling point for your car in the future to a buyer but lets see if all that little trivia you cited to causes your car to retain value in the future or even increase in value. Not a bet I'm taking.

It bothers you that a lot of people here think their car is special because it was plaqued at SAI? Yours wasn't plaqued at SAI but did you remove yours? Why are you keeping it on your car if it has no significance?

Further, I don't recall seeing anyone on the KR forum or anyone on Team Shelby saying people who own standard GT500s are second class people. You are confusing people with cars. The standard GT500 is cool car. I like them alot but it doesn't change the facts regarding the cars and the differences from the KR which speak for themselves. If the facts make you "feel" second class when those facts are discussed and pointed out (it was you who joined this discussion voluntarily wasn't it?) than as Harry Truman said "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen".

Coming from someone who has owned both the KR and the GT500, you obviously get my "wobbly pig" analogy as it pertains to the GT500 in stock trim. A lot of my improvement ideas originated by looking at the KR closely to see what the difference was (and then the rest came from guys with experience on this forum to learn what worked best). The GT500 would roll in the corners, nose dive under hard braking, and lift the nose under hard acceleration. That's all fine if you want to go to the drag strip... I guess. I really don't know shit about drag racing so I am making assumptions here.

KR did not have those issues to the extent of the GT500. To me, that alone is a big difference between the two cars off the showroom floor. That and the price of course. So I used the savings for mods. ;)

Yeah, the difference between both cars was substantial, especially in the handling dept. IMO the 07-09 GT500 should've been what the KR was performance wise.

BTW I love your car. Nice wheels and mod list.

Now before I get called the bad guy, let me tell you why I bought a GT500 and not the KR. I like others wanted a car I could drive and put miles on and not feel guilty about. So I bought a 500 and put all of the real KR parts on it I wanted, even a real hood. I am not trying to clone one I just like the looks of the KR and wanted to be able to take it to dinner and also have the white with blue strips combo. And I think that is the point some of these non KR guys are trying to make. When you look at what parts really are different between the KR and 500 not many are really from Shelby. 90% are from Ford Racing but that is because Ford had to warranty the car. Some people may agrue about what is a real Shelby just like the Saleen guys did in the 90's and it is all in that tag. A Saleen is and was not a Saleen without the tags. Because without the tags it was just a Mustang with a body kit even if the kit came from Saleen. But in the end the tag is all that is Shelby American. The rest of the car came from Ford and was assembled with parts from Ford Racing, Drake, Loyds and Plasan Carbon Components. Hope I didnt make anyone mad and Tony you are still my boy ;)

Now before I get called the bad guy, let me tell you why I bought a GT500 and not the KR. I like others wanted a car I could drive and put miles on and not feel guilty about. So I bought a 500 and put all of the real KR parts on it I wanted, even a real hood. I am not trying to clone one I just like the looks of the KR and wanted to be able to take it to dinner and also have the white with blue strips combo. And I think that is the point some of these non KR guys are trying to make. When you look at what parts really are different between the KR and 500 not many are really from Shelby. 90% are from Ford Racing but that is because Ford had to warranty the car. Some people may agrue about what is a real Shelby just like the Saleen guys did in the 90's and it is all in that tag. A Saleen is and was not a Saleen without the tags. Because without the tags it was just a Mustang with a body kit even if the kit came from Saleen. But in the end the tag is all that is Shelby American. The rest of the car came from Ford and was assembled with parts from Ford Racing, Drake, Loyds and Plasan Carbon Components. Hope I didnt make anyone mad and Tony you are still my boy ;)

SAI was never in the business of manufacturing Hi Po/go fast parts either from '62 to '68 or now. They always used after market parts or Ford Performance parts in turning Fords into Shelbys then and now. What's significant to collectors is the pedigree of cars having been transformed at SAI into a Shelby and their exclusivity/limited numbers. Then and now. Its way more than "just a tag". It's just that simple.

My 2012 GT500 was a great car, but the GT500KR had all the modifications I wanted to apply to the GT500, and comes as a great looking complete package. There's something special about that, no question, but every GT500 out there makes people stop and take notice. So 2007tungstenGT500 relax, the tungsten and white stripes look sharp, and I'm sure the mods you've made to your car make it a more enjoyable experience, same feeling I get every time I get to take the KR for a drive and talk to people about it wherever I park. As to REAL ONE, well that had to be said, but thanks to ViperNC and Captain Beyond for keeping it professionally on track. I was following the discussion with real interest as to the groups thoughts about the differences, so don't stop now. Oh and Captain Beyond, you need to post some pictures of that great looking car, and I need to work on capturing a picture of mine that looks as sharp as the one posted by ViperNC, great color by the way!

SAI was never in the business of manufacturing Hi Po/go fast parts either from '62 to '68 or now. They always used after market parts or Ford Performance parts in turning Fords into Shelbys then and now. What's significant to collectors is the pedigree of cars having been transformed at SAI into a Shelby and their exclusivity/limited numbers. Then and now. Its way more than "just a tag". It's just that simple.

Sadly, I think that the Shelby name doesn't mean the same to people now, as it did in the 'late '50s - early '70s. Those were the days when Shelby's acomplishments were still fresh in the minds of car nuts. To have a Shelby back then, really meant something special; much more than it does now. No longer is that Shelby pedigree as important. I think that to many folks, the current GT500s are just a faster Mustang, and the KR, the ridiculously overpriced version of it. Some only see the KR as a production Ford, and not the creation of a visionary. King of the Road was actually built (finished) in his shop, while he was still alive and had something to say about what the "King" needs to be.

I bought my KR because I do think of it as a time machine, so to speak. Driving it takes me back to when I was younger, just drooling over the "classic" Shelby Mustangs. Now I have my own and I don't care that others have a faster car. Someone will always have a faster car, and one that's faster than mine, for half the money. If I were only looking for cheap speed, a built Fox body is still tough to beat... But, it's certainly no KR. Just as a tweaked GT500 is no KR, as fast and as pretty as they may be. :)

My 2012 GT500 was a great car, but the GT500KR had all the modifications I wanted to apply to the GT500, and comes as a great looking complete package. There's something special about that, no question, but every GT500 out there makes people stop and take notice. So 2007tungstenGT500 relax, the tungsten and white stripes look sharp, and I'm sure the mods you've made to your car make it a more enjoyable experience, same feeling I get every time I get to take the KR for a drive and talk to people about it wherever I park. As to REAL ONE, well that had to be said, but thanks to ViperNC and Captain Beyond for keeping it professionally on track. I was following the discussion with real interest as to the groups thoughts about the differences, so don't stop now. Oh and Captain Beyond, you need to post some pictures of that great looking car, and I need to work on capturing a picture of mine that looks as sharp as the one posted by ViperNC, great color by the way!

I would love to see some close up shots of your car as I have never seen a vista blue KR before..... WOW!

I think that to many folks, the current GT500s are just a faster Mustang, and the KR, the ridiculously overpriced version of it.

I tend to agree that most people have no idea who Shelby was, much less understand the history and what the pedigree is. At the same rate, I'm also happy to tell the story when people stop and look at my car.

What's significant to collectors is the pedigree of cars having been transformed at SAI into a Shelby and their exclusivity/limited numbers. Then and now. Its way more than "just a tag". It's just that simple.

While I don't disagree with what you are saying, I still feel the GT500 has pedigree... and it was a boyhood dream to own a Shelby. I'm proud to drive the car with Carroll's name on it. :shift:

I tend to agree that most people have no idea who Shelby was, much less understand the history and what the pedigree is. At the same rate, I'm also happy to tell the story when people stop and look at my car. :shift:

^^^^^^^^^^Previous quote from ViperNC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another observation and question...............We, who remember the 1960's, the muscle car "hey day" and Carroll Shelby will not be the buyers when these cars are into the big $$$. The future buyers will be as you have mentioned above, and their "dream cars" will be what they can't afford now. Their desires then, will be as it is now for the classic muscle cars, the cars that bring the most $$$ are the big hp, big performing models from the era.

So the question is................how can we even think about comparing a future buyer who reads todays magazines and dreams of todays cars (but knows very little about Shelby's era, and quite honestly doesn't care) but they do like ball busting performance (over the top as it were), to an older buyer who lived through the hey day and watched it all happen, but certainly will not be the person who is in their prime and spending huge $$$ on their dream?

Their may be some thought of "pedigree" to a future buyer who is now 18-25+ years old, but 20 years from now? will that 38-45+ year old be thinking "pedigree"? Now (todays world) is also a time when Shelby is "one of many" in the performance world, unlike the 1960's when there were few and the Mustang enthusiasts dream was narrow.

I do agree that "Joe Lunchbox" (owner) installed parts will be worth pennies on the $$$ (as they are now) in comparison to parts installed as a packaged upgrade, but then it will also matter (as it does now) who did the upgrade, Shelby, Roush, Steeda, Saleen, etc.? <<There is a $$$ value "pecking order" to these cars now, and I have no reason to think that will change.

R

Old Lugs: I agree with you 100%. It's a matter of shifting generations and today more and more chnaging demographics.

I have had this discussion on other forums regarding Cobras/replica Cobras. Just as we aren't as interested in Model A's, lead sleds and other cars from those eras does this same shifting loss of interest as people age affect cars we grew up with an love?

Todays young crowd love the Jap stuff, ricers, and garbage with 22" wheels. While I can't stand that stuff this is stuff they grew up with.

Beyond generational shift we have demographics. Look who is flooding into the country unchecked while the current administration stands by and does 0 in essence tacitly abetting this for more welfare voters. What connection do they have to our country more less cars of past culture and generations?. What do they care? Answer. They don't. This part of it we did to ourselves by allowing it.

What cars will transcend this shifting in generation and demographics? Not sure. However some candidates come to mind from our generation. Ford GT, Nissan GTR, C6 Z06 and ZR1, First and second gen Vipers especially the GTS, ACR and perhaps Boss 302, 2007 GT500, 2014 GT500. You also have the Shelby Cobra original and continuation series (enduring icon) and to knowledgeable collectors Super Snakes, KRs, Shelby GTs, Shelby GT Hertz, Teralingua GT. Thats my list. Your list may be different. Of course if SAI is no longer around in future years or stops production of certain cars the values will sky rocket.

While the generational shift is something we can't help and the demographic shift we foolishly allowed there will always be enough knowledgeable car collectors and enthusiast seeking out the desirable cars from "years" past. While the Shelby name will fade from a large part of the population his name and many of the cars I pointed out will always be sought after by the real car guys in the next generations in the years to come. There just may be less of us looking for them but those that are will want them.

ViperNC: I didn't say the standard GT500 doesn't have pedigree. It is a Shelby. I love the GT500. We are talking differences correct? I am just pointing them out. It's a matter of degree and extent.

ViperNC: I didn't say the standard GT500 doesn't have pedigree. It is a Shelby. I love the GT500. We are talking differences correct? I am just pointing them out. It's a matter of degree and extent.

I hear you. There is a difference, but the degree of difference is up for debate. Granted, my car was not built at Shelby so that does mean something. But then I'll blur the lines even further by asking if the pedigree for my GT500 is any different/better than another GT500 whose owner did not stick to mods that are for the majority branded by Shelby? Hmmmmmm....... a little off topic, but worth discussion. Let's see where this goes. :bliss:

To answer what started the thread in the first place

Faux Fuel Cap

Centered Rear Shelby Emblem

Spoiler

Trunk Lid Cover

Rear Axle Cover

3.73 Rear Gears

Axle Back Exhaust

Axle Reservior

Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps

Head Rests

Shifter

Dash Plaque

Door Sill Plates

Floor Mats

Side & Grille Emblems (Wings)

H- Pipe Exhaust

Brake Cooling Kit w Lower Grille Brezels

Engine Cap Set

Cold Air Kit with Tune

Carbon Fiber Front Splitter

Carbon Fiber Hood with Real Locking Pins

Hood Emblem

Strips

Engine Strut Tower Brace

Front Sway Bar

Lowering Springs and Shocks

Rims With Center Caps

Tires

CSI TAG

Shelby Series One --- " the Series 1 is the only car ever designed and engineered by Carroll Shelby from a clean sheet of paper, and built from the ground up. Note that all other Shelby's are re-engineered models produced by other manufacturers and modified by Shelby, prior to production of the Series One" ---- Hemmings Motor News

Without turning this into a battle the 60's era cars HAVE pedigree, the modern Shelby has the name. The new Shelby GT500 and KR are great cars but the credit really goes to Ford. Shelby American still builds cars conversions the GT350, SS, Focus, Raptor just to name few. The part where the modern cars lost me is when Shelby started out sourcing conversions, not all are built in Vegas.

Shelby was a great man that is no doubt, but he was also a great businessman and knew the value of name recognition.

Archived