TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gonna Put A Air Filter And Resonator Delete. Do I Have To Do Tune. ??????

No tune necessary with just those mods. A tune is only required if you change the MAF, i.e. a JLT 123mm.

A throttle body is a point of contention. You don't really need a tune, but you'll probably want to get one to get the most out of it.

It is between the filter and the resonator delete.

I went with the AirAid Blue non-oiled filter on my car, less chance of oil getting on the MAF or IAT sensors.

Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor

The MAF sensor uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. Air passing over the hot wire causes it to cool. This hot wire is maintained at 200°C (392°F) above the ambient temperature as measured by a constant cold wire. The current required to maintain the temperature of the hot wire is proportional to the mass airflow. The MAF sensor then outputs a signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air to fuel ratio. This input is also used in determining transmission electronic pressure control (EPC), shift, and torque converter clutch (TCC) scheduling.

The MAF sensor is located near the air cleaner assembly. Most MAF sensors have an integrated IAT sensor.

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor

The IAT sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with temperature. The resistance of a thermistor decreases as the temperature increases, and the resistance increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

Thermistor-type sensors are considered passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow. Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in a series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.

The IAT sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM. The PCM uses the air temperature information as a correction factor in the calculation of fuel, spark, and airflow.

The IAT sensor provides a quicker temperature change response time than the ECT or CHT sensor.

Currently there are 2 types of IAT sensors used, a stand alone and an integrated type. Both types function the same, however the integrated type is incorporated into the mass airflow (MAF) sensor or the turbocharger intake pressure and temperature (TCIPT) sensor instead of being a stand alone sensor.

Supercharged vehicles use 2 IAT sensors. Both sensors are thermistor type devices and operate as described above. One is located before the supercharger at the air cleaner for standard OBD and cold weather input, while the second sensor, intake air temperature 2 (IAT2), is located after the supercharger in the intake manifold. The IAT2 sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM to control spark and to help determine CAC efficiency.

The IAT2 sensor is centrally located on the intake manifold and is used to measure the intake manifold temperature. The PCM uses the information from the IAT2 sensor to determine the air charge and provide input for various engine control functions. The IAT2 sensor is integrated with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

Your resonator delete & filter don't require a tune. ( you could gut your resonator & save the $ 60 - 90 )

You can upgrade your throttle body without tuning also, but won't get the max benefit of the upgrade.

VMP tuning sells a stage one package that is nothing more than a resonator delete and a tune, see the attached dyno sheet and it shows +50RWHP and +60LB/FT torque on 93 octane increase. Includes an SCT x4 tuner for $549 http://vmptuning.com/2013-shelby-gt500/13gt500stage1/

I did notice that the A/F ratio went from the stock 10.6 to 11.9 on his tune thoughout the run. Which IMHO seems a little too lean to me for this car.

VMP tuning sells a stage one package that is nothing more than a resonator delete and a tune, see the attached dyno sheet and it shows +50RWHP and +60LB/FT torque on 93 octane increase. Includes an SCT x4 tuner for $549 http://vmptuning.com/2013-shelby-gt500/13gt500stage1/

I did notice that the A/F ratio went from the stock 10.6 to 11.9 on his tune thoughout the run. Which IMHO seems a little too lean to me for this car.

11.9 is still within safe limits, but you're right in that it allows for less margin for error, considering ambient temperatures can change which can affect A/F ratio. I typically like to see 11.0:1 --> 11.5:1 on a street driven car on pump gas.

Archived