TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Splitter On My Kr

I was recently on a business trip in Charlotte and had some time to kill. I was fairly close to the Stewart-Haas race shop. The shop and facility is very impressive to say the least. In their retail store, I noticed they were selling various parts from their race cars. I spotted in the corner of the store some previously raced splitters. I thought they were cool, so I bought the two they had to give to my boys. One came off Tony's 2012 NH car and the one I used came off Ryan Newman's 2012 Allstar car.

Well this past weekend I had the idea to see if this would fit my KR. I propped it up and I instantly said I have to make this work. I made a few measurements and figured a way to bolt it on using the existing holes in the carbon fiber splitter. I went to Home Depot and bought longer bolts. The outer edges are supported by industrial strength Velcro. I may develop a nylon strap system to make sure it does not move. I may build some splitter supports as well. There are already some holes in the splitter to accommodate them. I just don't want to drill or cut anything on the car. I am planning to get it painted either the color of the car or the same color of the blue stripes. I have not decided yet.

I think this will also protect my CF splitter from simple dings. I love the look as it reminds me of the Boss 302 splitter on the Laguna Seca . I would love to get feedback from other Shelby loyalist..What do you think?

KRsplitter.jpg

I took it off today to get it painted. When it is done I will post the finished product. I think I am going with the silver metallic with a lemans blue stripe on the outside edge. I don't want it to overpower the car. Good news is it takes 5 minutes to take on and off.

I was recently on a business trip in Charlotte and had some time to kill. I was fairly close to the Stewart-Haas race shop. The shop and facility is very impressive to say the least. In their retail store, I noticed they were selling various parts from their race cars. I spotted in the corner of the store some previously raced splitters. I thought they were cool, so I bought the two they had to give to my boys. One came off Tony's 2012 NH car and the one I used came off Ryan Newman's 2012 Allstar car.

Well this past weekend I had the idea to see if this would fit my KR. I propped it up and I instantly said I have to make this work. I made a few measurements and figured a way to bolt it on using the existing holes in the carbon fiber splitter. I went to Home Depot and bought longer bolts. The outer edges are supported by industrial strength Velcro. I may develop a nylon strap system to make sure it does not move. I may build some splitter supports as well. There are already some holes in the splitter to accommodate them. I just don't want to drill or cut anything on the car. I am planning to get it painted either the color of the car or the same color of the blue stripes. I have not decided yet.

I think this will also protect my CF splitter from simple dings. I love the look as it reminds me of the Boss 302 splitter on the Laguna Seca . I would love to get feedback from other Shelby loyalist..What do you think?

attachicon.gifKRsplitter.jpg

I think it looks freakin' gnarly!

So, how much?

I'd love to put one on my 2010 to see how it affects my car at 180+ mph.

Phill

Not to my taste, but your car, and your money, so do whatever turns your crankshaft.

I just went with a standard GT500 splitter, and put a carbon patterned wrap on it....cheap and easy, is pliable and looks factory

I don't have any close-ups, but you get the idea....

KR_Boss_LS.jpg

I think if the sides were a little more tame then you'd be on teh right track. You may also want to look into some front splitter support rods like the Laguna Seca has. That much front lip is going to want to put some serious strain on the stock bumper assembly at speed and without any support could easily damage it in much the same way that the stock 2000 Cobra R splitters would damage their bumpers.

I agree and it is a concern at speed. I asked my shop to see if trimming the outer edges would be an option. They said the material of the splitter is very dense and strong. They are not too keen on trimming. It is of their opinion that the splitter was created from a mold and was not cut out of a solid piece. Maybe NASCAR had a standard rule that all teams use the same one. I got it prepped and primed yesterday. I decide on paint this week. The painter suggested I pull the blue stripe color down to the splitter. I am giving it serious consideration. The problem is getting the correct paint code. They can computer match it but would like the code. Anyone have any insight?

I think it would be awesome for track days. If you ever decide to sell the other one PM me.

The other one is hanging in my son's bedroom over his bed. He love's the cool factor. The only issue is the fact it came off Tony's car.

The painter suggested I pull the blue stripe color down to the splitter. I am giving it serious consideration. The problem is getting the correct paint code. They can computer match it but would like the code. Anyone have any insight?

Yeah, I do have some insight. I keep telling guys I'll get the paint code for them and every freakin' time I see my source I plain ass forget to get it.

I know for sure it's a MOPAR color and paint code so that might help you narrow it down some. If the computer shows it to be a FoMoCo color, THAT'S NOT IT. If you come up with a MOPAR color/code, you may have got it right.

EDIT: Oh, you *are* talking about a '08 or '09 KR with the silver/blue combo....right??? Because that's the *blue* color I'm talking about.

I'll try to remember AGAIN (probably the 5th time I've offered to get it) to get the damn paint code from the guy.

Apologies to all before you that I have failed,

Phill

Yeah, I do have some insight. I keep telling guys I'll get the paint code for them and every freakin' time I see my source I plain ass forget to get it.

I know for sure it's a MOPAR color and paint code so that might help you narrow it down some. If the computer shows it to be a FoMoCo color, THAT'S NOT IT. If you come up with a MOPAR color/code, you may have got it right.

EDIT: Oh, you *are* talking about a '08 or '09 KR with the silver/blue combo....right??? Because that's the *blue* color I'm talking about.

I'll try to remember AGAIN (probably the 5th time I've offered to get it) to get the damn paint code from the guy.

Correct, 08 KR. This will help a lot. I will call him today and offer the MOPAR direction.

Apologies to all before you that I have failed,

Phill

I think matte black would make it look a lot cleaner, or even a semi-gloss to match the existing splitter a little better. It has a mean look to it and the shape goes well with the car.

As for support, you could add support rods from the splitter through the lower grill and drill into the steel bumper support to hold them up. There's also something like this:

https://www.blowfishracing.com/tow-hooks/12-2007-2014-mustang-gt500forced-induction-front-tow-hook-kit.html

I think matte black would make it look a lot cleaner, or even a semi-gloss to match the existing splitter a little better. It has a mean look to it and the shape goes well with the car.

As for support, you could add support rods from the splitter through the lower grill and drill into the steel bumper support to hold them up. There's also something like this:

https://www.blowfishracing.com/tow-hooks/12-2007-2014-mustang-gt500forced-induction-front-tow-hook-kit.html

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if that would work on a KR grill but I will give them a call. I acquired another splitter with a carbon fiber weave. It has a silver tone to it. This came from Kurt Bush's Talledaga car. I am also looking at just taking the OEM splitter off and bolting one of these in place. I will post pics this weekend.

]I decided to go with the silver based carbon weave splitter. To me,it looks more OEM. Today, I added a license plate bracket. I need a front plate in VA. . Killed two birds with this setup. .i am very happy the way it came out.

image.jpgimage.jpglicenseplate.jpg

Roush-Yates Racing has simular splitters for sale used, $50 if I remember correctly. I agree with most that it will need substantial support rods, and perhaps a trim in size. But it could be cool.

How does a person buy one?

I've been looking for something exactly like this for a couple of years now. I want to try it on a Mile LSR course to see if I can keep more air out from under my car.

TIA,

Phill

Phil, I may have one for sale. I am giving a local buddy first shot as he saw mine and wants to do the same thing. I will post when and if.

Thanks Bill.

That's bold. Not sure if I could hang one of those to the chin of my KR. I bet it works very well at high speeds though.

This ended up being a project that has several benefits. In addition to the looks department, I hope this will protect me somewhat against incidental damage to the CF OEM splitter. I can also mount my license plate on top of the splitter very easily. I have it secured with 6 factory bolts and will also add 2 APR strut rods just in case I decide to track it. I agree, this should help improve the down force at speed.

The best part is it takes about 5 minutes to take it off. I have not had to drill any new holes. Thanks for your comments.

• 1 month later...

Archived