TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Other Car- 1966 K Code Fastback

I thought it would be a good time as any to post a few pics of my beloved 1966 K-Code Fastback. I restored this car from certain death to what you see here. I was fortunate to gather most of my hard to find parts back in the late 90's. I don't think you could do what I did then today. I plan to show the car more as I have noticed the past few years that vintage Mustangs are somewhat scarce on show fields. I am just as guilty as I it is easier to show the more modern car.

The car is been completely gone through front to back. The rear of the car was actually cut in half. I had to replace all the trunk rails, wheel wells. Believe it or not the rockers were perfect. This car was original from NH too! The hood is a real Shelby fiberglass hood with the steel support. The previous owner bought it in 1983 and it stayed in the box. He was going to do a GT350tribute car. Where I could get a NOS part, I did. The engine is a date correct Hi-Po 289 bored to .40 over. The engine is complete with the solid lifters, Hi-Po cam, Holley 4brl, ceramic Tri-Y headers, 8 qt Cobra oil T-pan, Cobra Hi-Rise intake, Cobra open letter valve covers and correct 3 7/8" alternator pulley.. With the upgrades, I figure I am putting down about 300hp. From the factory, they came in around 271hp. The car also has the quick ratio steering box and a 3:55 posi with the 9"rear end.

I completely replaced the interior to stock,I found an NOS dash pad and black standard interior kit. They had been in a box since 1967. I added a NOS Cobra 8k tack on the dash. I got it from a man I helped out in upstate NY. He basically gave it to me for my efforts. This is really a cool piece. The tach has a light in it as well.

The wheels are manufactured by COY C-67 out of Salt Lake. They are 17 x 9 with 235/40 BFG Comp TA. The offset is 4.25" This keeps the wheels under the car. I was told I had the first set on the east coast. The wheels were the design inspiration for the Cobra theme. I also added Wilwood front brakes to make sure it stops. I want to add a Wilwood brake reservoir this summer.

The paint is Dupont. The color is Nightmist Blue. Considering it was painted in 2003, the paint is holding beautifully. I washed and waxed her this past weekend. It took me most of Saturday. I enjoyed every minute. My boys helped out. I hope they will remember the days like this in the future.

Based on the K-Code registry, this car is pretty rare. I was told there are less than 97 left in existence. This car is a non GT with the C4 AT. Let me know any of you have any questions.

hood.jpgside.jpgengine.jpgfront 2.JPGrightside.jpgkcodeflag.jpgphoto.JPG

Thanks! I love the Hertz cars. There was one last year at the Carlisle K code nationals. The car was a 99pt restoration. Gorgeous beyond description.

I agree. The original owner was a lady. I have the original owners manual with her name clearly written on the inside. She eventually sold the car to her daughter's boyfriend. He put in a 4spd and turned it into a 1/4 mile car. the top loader was in the trunk when I bought it. He also must have wrecked at some point as i determined the back left quarter had been hit. Then he attempted to restore the work himself. Was not pretty. The guy also added power steering . You could not get a K-code with PS. He must have lost interest as the car then sat in a barn for 10-12 years. At least it was covered for all those NH winters.

I thought it would be a good time as any to post a few pics of my beloved 1966 K-Code Fastback. I restored this car from certain death to what you see here. I was fortunate to gather most of my hard to find parts back in the late 90's. I don't think you could do what I did then today. I plan to show the car more as I have noticed the past few years that vintage Mustangs are somewhat scarce on show fields. I am just as guilty as I it is easier to show the more modern car.

The car is been completely gone through front to back. The rear of the car was actually cut in half. I had to replace all the trunk rails, wheel wells. Believe it or not the rockers were perfect. This car was original from NH too! The hood is a real Shelby fiberglass hood with the steel support. The previous owner bought it in 1983 and it stayed in the box. He was going to do a GT350tribute car. Where I could get a NOS part, I did. The engine is a date correct Hi-Po 289 bored to .40 over. The engine is complete with the solid lifters, Hi-Po cam, Holley 4brl, ceramic Tri-Y headers, 8 qt Cobra oil T-pan, Cobra Hi-Rise intake, Cobra open letter valve covers and correct 3 7/8" alternator pulley.. With the upgrades, I figure I am putting down about 300hp. From the factory, they came in around 271hp. The car also has the quick ratio steering box and a 3:55 posi with the 9"rear end.

I completely replaced the interior to stock,I found an NOS dash pad and black standard interior kit. They had been in a box since 1967. I added a NOS Cobra 8k tack on the dash. I got it from a man I helped out in upstate NY. He basically gave it to me for my efforts. This is really a cool piece. The tach has a light in it as well.

The wheels are manufactured by COY C-67 out of Salt Lake. They are 17 x 9 with 235/40 BFG Comp TA. The offset is 4.25" This keeps the wheels under the car. I was told I had the first set on the east coast. The wheels were the design inspiration for the Cobra theme. I also added Wilwood front brakes to make sure it stops. I want to add a Wilwood brake reservoir this summer.

The paint is Dupont. The color is Nightmist Blue. Considering it was painted in 2003, the paint is holding beautifully. I washed and waxed her this past weekend. It took me most of Saturday. I enjoyed every minute. My boys helped out. I hope they will remember the days like this in the future.

Based on the K-Code registry, this car is pretty rare. I was told there are less than 97 left in existence. This car is a non GT with the C4 AT. Let me know any of you have any questions.

attachicon.gifhood.jpgattachicon.gifside.jpgattachicon.gifengine.jpgattachicon.giffront 2.JPGattachicon.gifrightside.jpgattachicon.gifkcodeflag.jpgattachicon.gif7-26-13-66-KR.jpgattachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Very nice!

• 1 month later...

I have been watching a few concours restored K codes on Ebay. Values seem to have skyrocketed. There are two fast backs over $80k and a no sale 66 white/ red convertible $65k. Even the driver K's are in the upper $40's. Good news for owners.

• 1 year later...

I just discovered my old user ID is still active from 2007 so I thought I would at least make the first post under this name. Yes that is my fastback in the first post. And speaking of the car, I am making plans on upgrading the brakes by adding a power brake booster from Wilwood and going to a T5 AOD. I want to be able to drive the car more and take it on the track. I will also look to upgrade the shocks.

I just discovered my old user ID is still active from 2007 so I thought I would at least make the first post under this name. Yes that is my fastback in the first post. And speaking of the car, I am making plans on upgrading the brakes by adding a power brake booster from Wilwood and going to a T5 AOD. I want to be able to drive the car more and take it on the track. I will also look to upgrade the shocks.

Welcome back , is the motor stock solid lifter 271 H.P?

Archived