TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Problems After New Clutch Install

Over the weekend, a buddy of mine and I put the GT500 on a lift to replace the clutch. We disconnected the battery, got her in the air removed the x-pipe, driveshaft, heat shields, cross-member unplugged the o2's, fluid lines etc. After removing the starter and bell housing bolts we removed the tranny, unbolted the factory clutch and flywheel. We installed a new Spec SS Trim twin disc setup then reinstalled everything we had removed.dropped the car down, connected to battery and bled the new setup. The car started right up and the clutch feels GREAT (but has a very low release point, which I really like). So I pulled the car out of the shop, drove it for less than a mile, stopped and put in some 93 octane, and headed to the expressway to drive the car home. The factory clutch had been slipping so badly, I couldn't wait to feel the car run strong once again. So while in 4th gear I give it some gas -- and the car is not running hard like she did. It feels like a sputtering effect from 4k- 6k on the tach. I get off the expressway and pull over. My buddy who's following me tells me "dude, it didn't sound right when you passed me". I begin to wonder if we forgot to connect something beneath the car. He says " we went over it like 2 or 3 times making sure everything was put back together. He then says "could it have something to do with the battery being disconnected for 2 days?" I decided to take out the SCT TUNER, return it to factory and then put it back to the street tune. The car seemed to run strong! It left 2 patches of rubber for about 20 feet, shifted, chirped and pulled really hard in 2nd, ran much better this time around -- but still sounds weird/feels weird, and kinda sputtering at higher RPM's, PLEASE HELP

Oh and BTW, the car is an 07 with 9,000 miles. The car has NEVER had ANY issues running prior to the clutch install. I've had the battery disconnected many times before, and never had an issue. Even when the car was painted, we had the engine and tranny out of it for about 5 months! When we put everything back together after painting the car and the engine compartment -- the car ran as smooth as a sewing machine! I'm confused to what could have gone wrong. The only thing I can think of is that the car needs to relearn the tune -- but that's never been an issue either. I go from street to race and back to street on track days quite often and never had this happen before. I could go from a race tune to a street tune and nail it from the track to my house and never miss a beat. So it didn't need to learn anything ( though the battery didn't get disconnected). So maybe that's it? Hell, I don't know! Somebody please help

I too replaced my stock clutch with the Spec SS twin disc. I have roughly 15k miles on it with no issues. Did you replace the slave cylinder when you had everything out? I don't see it being a problem if you hadn't, and certainly not the symptom you stated, just a good thing to do. I doubt your battery being disconnected has anything to do with it either. I have heard that if you don't follow the break in directions with the Spec clutch you could cause problems. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like no full throttle runs or hard acceleration for 500 miles, (not highway miles, but stop and go miles). An over simplified explanation is the clutch has to be bedded similar to new brake pads and rotors for proper operation.

Someone else with more knowledge than me will probably chime in.........

• 2 months later...

Archived