TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Back Surgery/recovery And Personal Updates

So many of you know i was scheduled for back surgery May 16th. As a result I was not able to make the show this weekend. My wife also had follow on ultra sound as at 7 months she is bigger than 9 months with her first which was 9lbs 2oz 23.5 inches long so being just a lil thing shes pretty concerned about kid size and if she will ever walk again..lol So first good news it is 100% a boy no questions asked!!! Maxwell Alan Bear due beginning of July. Wife is good but ready to kick him out or start charging some serious rent money..lol As far as me... well things went ok but werent with out complications. Surgery was supposed to start at 930... it didnt actually start till around 1. Surgery was 90 minutes.. it went almost 3 hours. The disc material was calcified and difficult to remove and they had to open the nerve channel up much more to relieve pressure on the S1 root. Coming out of the anesthesia was pretty violent as I was dry heaving over and over which wasnt very good for the back as they cut through the low back muscle. I was then transported to recovery where my wife and daughter visited me with some McDonalds. By now it had been almost 24 hours since I had eaten. After waking up they kept wanting to give me deloted or some liquid pain killer along with vallium. After going to the recovery room they tried giving me some more pain meds which I also refused. To answer all those going man your crazy... well I have been in horrific amounts of pain since late december so I wanted to gage where I was sans drugs. Now the whole process from initial consult to follow up with the nuero surgeon in the recovery room was... if you can walk, pee and keep food down you can go home.. so immediately after chowing mcdonals i got up walked around and peed. One detail they didnt tell me... i have to measure my pee.. i found this out several hours later as I was fighting with the dr about why I wasnt being discharged.......so lots of back and forth but I finally was discharged and now im home on the road to recovery!!!!!

Glad to hear your surgery went well. And congrats on the baby boy ! My first son was 9 lbs 8 oz and my now ex wife was 98 lbs back then...that was an experience for sure !! He got stuck and they literally ripped him out, hoping yours goes WAY smoother. Feel for you reading your recovery room story, that must have been painful. I had kidney stone surgery a few years back and after waking up I could not stop my body from violently shaking, not sure why that happens but they actually gave me some more morphine and I was quickly feeling much better. After also having to pee a certain amount, which felt like razor blades btw after having a tube up your junk I was also able to go home. If I had back surgery that shaking would have been excruciating...

Hope you continue to recover quickly so you can hold your son and get back to doing your normal routine without pain.

Matt

So many of you know i was scheduled for back surgery May 16th. As a result I was not able to make the show this weekend. My wife also had follow on ultra sound as at 7 months she is bigger than 9 months with her first which was 9lbs 2oz 23.5 inches long so being just a lil thing shes pretty concerned about kid size and if she will ever walk again..lol So first good news it is 100% a boy no questions asked!!! Maxwell Alan Bear due beginning of July. Wife is good but ready to kick him out or start charging some serious rent money..lol As far as me... well things went ok but werent with out complications. Surgery was supposed to start at 930... it didnt actually start till around 1. Surgery was 90 minutes.. it went almost 3 hours. The disc material was calcified and difficult to remove and they had to open the nerve channel up much more to relieve pressure on the S1 root. Coming out of the anesthesia was pretty violent as I was dry heaving over and over which wasnt very good for the back as they cut through the low back muscle. I was then transported to recovery where my wife and daughter visited me with some McDonalds. By now it had been almost 24 hours since I had eaten. After waking up they kept wanting to give me deloted or some liquid pain killer along with vallium. After going to the recovery room they tried giving me some more pain meds which I also refused. To answer all those going man your crazy... well I have been in horrific amounts of pain since late december so I wanted to gage where I was sans drugs. Now the whole process from initial consult to follow up with the nuero surgeon in the recovery room was... if you can walk, pee and keep food down you can go home.. so immediately after chowing mcdonals i got up walked around and peed. One detail they didnt tell me... i have to measure my pee.. i found this out several hours later as I was fighting with the dr about why I wasnt being discharged.......so lots of back and forth but I finally was discharged and now im home on the road to recovery!!!!!

Glad to hear You, Mama, and your future son are doing well! I feel your pain as I'm going through the same thing right now. Have had two cortisone injections into L5 & S1 with only limited releif. The surgery scares the Shyte out of me so I'm trying to do everything else I can before going that route. Best of luck on your recovery and the new familty addition!

My injury was I 06 and I was against the surgery then but couldn't wait for it now and because I Waite so long it complicated things so I wouldn't delay micro discetomies are very common and highly successful surgeries depending on ur pain level I was incapacitated for a while and on morphine for 4 months hating life I was ready to move fwd

Your back surgery sounds like mine. I had mine 25 years ago and the same type as well. Been fine ever since. gotta watch so there isn't much weight gain but the surgery restored me to a normal life again.

Do what your doc says, since no pain means you can move, it might be best to take your pain meds and be able to move.

I knew right away I was better and no pain but I still took the meds until he said taper off and then in a week to stop them.

Movement seemed to help me as the doc suggested.

Congratulations on the new baby boy, hope he is as healthy as ever. Sounds like he is gonna be a big fella.

And don't give him any beer just because he is born with a model of a Shelby and a baseball cap.. Give him awhile...

Anyway hope mom and baby do well and as you help her more she will probably forgive you for giving her such a big baby boy.

I had it in 1988 or 1989 (L4-L5, with uncorrected damage to L5-S1)... It was much better afterwards. It has since deteriorated to L3-l4, L4-L5 (agan) and L5-S1. THis is really bad and if they do it I will have a metal rod that goes lower and higher and basically makes getting into a car, especially a Ford GT, almost impossible. The doctor told me to do it only when I'm in a wheelchair.

Twobjshelbys, wow that is too bad its gotten worse for you. My doc was an "orthopod" not a neurologist but he said it's like a ladder and when the bottom step breaks it puts more stress on the rest of the back.

Unfortunately my doc is now retired and at a young age after having a stroke a few years ago. His procedure of a Laminectomy back in 86, proved to be the best thing for me. No pins and such and have full movement...

I now have trouble with my knees and I have trouble with small two seaters as well, I tend to fall into the seats. (Fiero GT with a 350 V8 5 speed )

I put off my surgery till I knew I needed it and wasn't getting any better... Anyway hope you can enjoy a few more years with your cars and can wait on your surgery.

For CBRBEAR I think he has put it of long enough and has decided to get the surgery done. I hope it goes well for him as well...

Yeah it so sucks to deal with back pain. Had my surgery about three years or so ago. Went the whole route, starting with physical therapy, moving on to oral meds, moving on to the lovely back injections, and finally surgery. Full on Laminectomy and discectomy at L6 L7. Real tough time for the first 72 hours. A week later, went cold turkey off of a years worth of Norco.....Another treat!!

Today doing excellent. No more pain, knock on wood.

OP, hang tough. Hard to think it will get better, but it does. Take it easy and take care,

Mike

Hope your recovery and rehab goes well. I ruptured L5 S1 when I was 29 and went through 10 months of sciatica. Tough times for sure. I decided to avoid the surgery and went with physical therapy. The best advice I could give anyone with back pain is to get an inversion table. I use mine 4-5 times a week for just a few minutes each time and especially after a long MTB ride/race. Lots of inverted sit-ups, stretching, and twisting. It does a body good. Best $270 I ever spent.

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your son and well wishes to your family.

Congrats to you and the Mrs on Maxwell.

I had back surgery in 2010 after a decade of pain, and sciatica for longer than I can remember as well.

I have refused to become a pill popper, and thus develop a high threshold for pain, but after so long, it begins to take a toll on the quality of life, and I had to have the surgery. Best $5 (co-pay) I ever spent.

I followed the post surgical procedure to the letter and have had no issues (i have to friends that had surgery, and thought, wow I feel great, and don't follow the instructions, they're worse now than before, and its because they didn't listen)

I had a goal to be back playing ice hockey in six months, and that was achieved, and at 52yo, I still play once a week. I've also gone skiing.

Your body will tell you what is ok and what isn't, just gotta listen...plus yoga really helps too

Congrats to you and the Mrs on Maxwell.

I had back surgery in 2010 after a decade of pain, and sciatica for longer than I can remember as well.

I have refused to become a pill popper, and thus develop a high threshold for pain, but after so long, it begins to take a toll on the quality of life, and I had to have the surgery. Best $5 (co-pay) I ever spent.

I followed the post surgical procedure to the letter and have had no issues (i have to friends that had surgery, and thought, wow I feel great, and don't follow the instructions, they're worse now than before, and its because they didn't listen)

I had a goal to be back playing ice hockey in six months, and that was achieved, and at 52yo, I still play once a week. I've also gone skiing.

Your body will tell you what is ok and what isn't, just gotta listen...plus yoga really helps too

Sorry to get off the subject, but wow Tom, I did not know you played Hockey. So do I from time to time. Would be cool to get on the ice with you one day! So how are you doing Chad?

Today was a bad day constant sciatica and no relief with taking the Percocet. I have an inversion table but see no relief from its use. I did the whole physical therapy and detraction tables and notta finally found my whole lifestyle was lying on couch in pain for months without Meds so I got on Meds and did the surgery. Will see what happens but as of today I'm not very confident...

Had a discectomy in Dec of 99 after about 4 months of lots of injections L4=L5 area. Although the surgery went well, and I followed directions to the letter,

after 3 months I was worse off than before. Dr talked about a fusion that would involve several months of rehab and also some time after surgery in a rehab facility. I went for 9 months in horrible pain and refused narcotics for pain. My pain tolerance has certainly been elevated to a higher level.I agreed to the fusion and DR said that before he did that he wanted to try injection in the joint of my back so thought might as well try but pack my bag for the upcoming surgery.

For whatever reason that did help and after 3 months I did not need to take anything for pain. All has been good for 14 years now.

Yep, that would be ME!

I was diagnosed with a herniated L-5/S-1 disc and a bulging L4/5 disc in mid-1990.

My Dr. (Neurosurgeon) started out with a Laminotomy/Discectomy on my L-5/S-1 disc. That failed (85% success) and lead to another Lami/Disci. That failed and finally performed a fusion on L-5/S-1. That in turn blew out the next one up (L-4/5) and he repeated the process on that level. My Dr. called it "The Domino Effect" (one leads to another and so on).

Sometime during the 6 low back surgeries a disc in my neck blew (from the lack of range of motion, having to turn my neck much farther than others/most) and I had a multi level fusion in my Cervical vertebrae.

I didn't listen to my Doctor and I think much of my repeated problems are due to my stubbornness....Seven surgeries later.

LISTEN YOU YOUR DOCTOR AND PT's!

Phill

I had it in 1988 or 1989 (L4-L5, with uncorrected damage to L5-S1)... It was much better afterwards. It has since deteriorated to L3-l4, L4-L5 (agan) and L5-S1. THis is really bad and if they do it I will have a metal rod that goes lower and higher and basically makes getting into a car, especially a Ford GT, almost impossible. The doctor told me to do it only when I'm in a wheelchair.

That doctor gave you extremely bad advice. Do not wait until you are forced into a wheelchair... trust me

Archived