TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Missing Gears, Frustrated...!

I thought that the 1st to 2nd shift problems had been corrected in the 13 and 14 cars. I have a 12 and am having the same problem. I live in central Florida and have contacted Brandon Ford in Tampa. I am waiting for a call back so that I can take my car to them, and check out the problem. If they give me the standard company line that it is not a problem and everything is OK I am going to look seriously at a WOT Box from N2MB Racing. I am going to find out from N2MB Racing if the Box can be removed if I have a warranty issue and if it reprograms anything a dealer could find. I will post what Brandon Ford says.

Seems like an exercise in futility... I'd bet hundreds (if not more) of owners have experienced this 1-2 shift problem. Of those hundreds I'd bet at least 20-30% of these $60-70K cars were taken to the dealer yet we can't provide a single case of the issue being 100% resolved. Seems their standard reply is "you modified the car and or you are driving it too hard"... Who the hell buys ANY modern day factory touted ultra high performance car and does NOT run it hard at least from time to time??? I'm afraid we may be forced to the after market for this solution. Hell to be honest I could live with buying the fix if someone could just identify the cause and remedy 100%...

Dealer I spoke with told me there is not a current resolution to this, but wants me to bring my car in so that I can re-create the issue with him for documentation purposes. I have not brought the car in and did this, because I honestly don't want to "try" to recreate this lock-out/grind as its most likely only causing damage to the synchronizers. From what I understand, I don't believe this to be an actual problem with the synchronizers, rather something w/ the shifter flexing and/or bushings at the mating points between the shifter and transmission.

I thought that the 1st to 2nd shift problems had been corrected in the 13 and 14 cars. I have a 12 and am having the same problem. I live in central Florida and have contacted Brandon Ford in Tampa. I am waiting for a call back so that I can take my car to them, and check out the problem. If they give me the standard company line that it is not a problem and everything is OK I am going to look seriously at a WOT Box from N2MB Racing. I am going to find out from N2MB Racing if the Box can be removed if I have a warranty issue and if it reprograms anything a dealer could find. I will post what Brandon Ford says.

Thus far, from what I understand, there is no resolve from Ford, even in the '12 models. Yes, the 13/14's are still having this problem, albeit some people are not experiencing it.

Coincidentally, the current corvette and camaro ( not sure 'which' model camaro ) offer the no-lift shift which acts as a WOT box. Would have been nice if Ford would have caught onto this as well.

I have a 2014, same issue. Before it had 500 miles it had locked me out of second gear 3x trying it shift above 6k. I think it has everything to do with high rpm torque and a sloppy shifter. I own 2 other cobras, both with factory sloppy shifters but I don't have this problem with them. I had to retrain myself shifting this car and now I'm not having the problem, basically I have to shift before 6k and shift slowly and precisely. Is this BS, you bet it is. Lets be honest, creating a motor capable of 662 hp should be much more difficult than creating a shifter/trans that works well together. Someone on a forum describe the shifts in the gt500 like crunching glass, that's accurate for my car. I've been reading about this and most people say replace the shifter, I have a new mgw shifter sitting here just haven't had time to get it installed.

Here is my issue, I feel like the shifter is the problem but what if it's not? If it doesn't work and I need ford to do something they probably won't considering it has an aftermarket shifter. I think the stock shifter is binding under hard acceleration for whatever reason and hopefully this works. I was planning to have my local ford dealer put in the shifter which they agreed to do. When I drop this off to them I'm going to discuss this problem and my possible solution. This may be my best bet of not voiding the warranty on the trans.

Surprised to see this. I have had several T56, Tremec, and other various 5-6 speed manuals over the years and I think my 2014 GT500 is the best shifting stock transmission I've ever had. I can WOT shift this trans in every gear like butter. I've never missed a gear with the stock shifter and all.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the problem on my 2010, fix was MGW shifter, change it out and don't look back. Some guys had 1/2 synchro's / followers, clutch and shifters replaced on the 2009-10 MY. Getting the stealer to do the tear down and have a Ford engineer ok the fix is like getting Jello to stick to the wall.

My cousin stopped by on Monday with his new 2013 BOSS 302 that had the MGW shifter installed by the previous/first owner. Having never used an MGW before I was looking forward to trying it but I couldn't tell much, if any, difference than the stock BOSS shifter and it certainly didn't shift any better than my 14 Shelby. We went out to his brothers used car lot to check out an 08 Roush 427R he had just bought at an auction. The Roush had a Hurst and it shifted great. Maybe the MGW wasn't adjusted right but I think if I was going to change I would be looking at a Hurst.

ricksboss003_zps2b5c44e0.jpg

Guys, I just did the Revan Racing shifter bushings ( front and rear) on my car. It cost me $100 plus labor and I have eliminated my second gear grind while keeping the stock shifter...here is a video of a review I did on my off road MRT H pipe as well as the shifter bushings.

I have had several stick shift vehicles including Cobras and Mustangs, and I'm absolutely in love with the way my GT500 shifts. I can wide open throttle shift this car through every gear like butter. I have only missed a gear once so far, and I'm not sure the reasoning, but I think it's cake to shift. Much easier than the T56 in my old 04.

• 2 weeks later...

(Sorry for the delay in this response as I'm out of the country and for some reason the Team Shelby site doesn't like coming through on Government computers. )

What Ghoust posted I was advised to do as well as it seems others on other forums are having great success with what Van is selling. I plan on doing it when I get home. Evidently the shifter assembly is actually mounted in a way where it is not mounted directly to the trans, but to the car. Maybe someone has a better way of explaining this, but when you are wide open throttle/high rpm/engine slightly rotated (we all know how those shaker hoods work when you hit the throttle and watch her move), it takes the shifting alignment out of true since in essence the shifter is NOT rotating with the engine/trans....

Trans moves...shifter stays with body...direct shift engagement taken out of alignment. Hope that explains it. The new bushings fix the problem by not allowing the play as I understand it. Anyone who can back me up on this please chime in...

Supposedly the Whiteline mod works for other cars with this issue as well. Just isn't one made for the GT500s yet. Go with the bushings.

I'll be curious what you find out. Years ago on TS others have had excellant luck with the WOT box. Not sure about how easy it is to remove to take in for service.

• 3 months later...

Came across this and thought I had updated again. Sorry I had not.

Yes, I installed the solid bushings from RevanRacing. I also installed the KR rear shifter bushing since we would be in there.

Went to the track...problem solved! I made 4-5 runs and not a single lockout or grind.

So, a total of $70 and problem solved. Much cheaper than a whole shifter purchase for sure.

I changed my stock shifter to a MGW and amazingly all I do is just pretty much push up to hit 3rd every time. I didn't think the 13 shifter was bad compared to the 08 I had however, the MGW is light years ahead of the stock shifter of the 13. I love it.

Archived