TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Affect Of Banners And Stickers On Trade

SGT0767

Just wondering if anyone has any feed back on how window banners, fender stripes, and things like the Team Shelby event stickers have affected your trade in valuations. I suspect that dealers have given lower valuations since they would have to remove them before offering the car for resale but just wanted to see what experiences everyone else have had.

Mike

Resale? Buy a Shelby, buy it for life! If I had a real Shelby I would put it in my will for my grandkids and they wouldn't be able to sell it either.

Actually there is a 2014 GT500 at a local dealer that we are considering trading the 2009 GT500 towards. I don't want to take off the banners and graphics if I don't end up trading with them since some of them can not be replaced. Just wondering what experiences others have had when they went to trade.

My thoughts are to go in and get a trade in value estimate and ask them if they want you to remove the decals before the trade happens. My guess is they would want to have their own body shop remove them. Sticker and decals are a personal thing.....I promise you the next buyer will not have the same attachment to those stickers as you do. Usually sticker and decals are from events that you have attended and they create nice warm feelings from your experience. The new buyer will want to create their own experiences.

Trading in is the worst thing you can do in my opinion. They have to give you bottom dollar so they can make a buck or 5000 of them. Sell it yourself or better yet keep it and just buy the other one. Two in the garage is better than one in the bush lol!

I know that I would never get as much in a trade as I would selling it myself. It all depends upon how patient they are willing to be. With a KR and SGT I really don't have the room for an additional stable mate if I were to buy the 14 while trying to sell the 09. I'll give them a shot at what they would offer and decide what to do from there. The 09 has a Tasca Stage II so it is putting out 528 RWHP so it is not far off from the 14 in HP. The biggest difference would be in the handling since the 09 has the standard suspension still.

They do come off, some easier than others BUT, you will need to get your Car Buffed because the Paint has faded and it will show where the Stripes were. Leave them in place. ALSO: Sell your Car yourself because you will take a major beating trading it in. Last year, a friend traded in his RED 08 GT 500KR on a 2014 GT 500 and they only gave him $38K on trade. Another guy here traded in his Red 08 GT 500 Stripe Delete on a 2014 GT 500 and they only gave him $22K and BOTH cars that were Traded had LESS than 9K Miles.

I know that I would never get as much in a trade as I would selling it myself. It all depends upon how patient they are willing to be. With a KR and SGT I really don't have the room for an additional stable mate if I were to buy the 14 while trying to sell the 09. I'll give them a shot at what they would offer and decide what to do from there. The 09 has a Tasca Stage II so it is putting out 528 RWHP so it is not far off from the 14 in HP. The biggest difference would be in the handling since the 09 has the standard suspension still.

They will use EVERYTHING that was done to it against you on Trade.

Thanks for the input. I don't plan on taking the graphics off since, in some cases, they can not be replaced. I figured that the dealer would offer a lower amount for a trade in due to the graphics but wanted to know what others had experienced. The 14 is a really nice car and I would not mind having in our garage but unless the dealer is able to come up with a really compelling trade, we will probably just keep the 09 and upgrade the suspension to improve the handling, the brakes to improve stopping, and have Tasca install a Stage III upgrade which should bring the HP close to the 14. It won't have that new car smell but would probabaly be a lot more cost effective. I'm still waiting for them to tell us what they will offer so we will see once they get back to us.

Trading in is the worst thing you can do in my opinion. They have to give you bottom dollar so they can make a buck or 5000 of them. Sell it yourself or better yet keep it and just buy the other one. Two in the garage is better than one in the bush lol!

Be careful with a global statement. Trades are usually lower than you can sell it for but in most states when you trade a car in you pay sales tax on the purchase price less the trade in allowance (i.e., the difference). Sometimes the difference in sales tax is more than you can get for a street sale of the trace, especially for newer vehicles, and it's instant no hassles. Just give the keys and title.

If a lien is present, it's harder to sell it too.

Archived