TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So Noisy At 60Mph On The Freeway.

pgodden

I am not sure if it's road noise, I thought it was the stock Goodyears but now that I have the Michelins on it seems even louder, although it could be that I haven't driven it for a long time and am not remembering correctly.

Is it normal to have a lot of back end noise when driving these things on the freeway? I mean, if it is I am ok with it I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong.

Sounds like noisy (rumbly) rear end or axle, it's probably nothing but it's quite a noisy when driving just to the sound of the engine with no stereo on. Reminds me of driving my old 4x4 on the highway...

I'd have it checked out - normally the Michelins are much quieter than the Goodyears. Hopefully it's not an axle bearing going bad - sometimes they can get a flat spot if the vehicle sits for long periods of time. JMO

During the three weeks I spent driving mine before getting it home I had lots of time to listen to the "normal" sounds coming from the car. Up to about 60 mph and through 4th gear, what I heard most was engine and exhaust rumble. Once I was over 60 mph and in 5th and 6th gear, the rumble would go away and I would hear road noise. Depending on the road surface, concrete, fresh pavement or older pavement, the road noise could be very loud or as quiet as my parent's Lexus.

It's probably the rear diff making noise, I know mine is very loud on the freeway.

I actually assumed it was rear diff noise, but wasn't sure if other cars had it. What would make the diff on these cars so noisy? There is no vibration just a loud drone from the back end over 60 mph.

I actually assumed it was rear diff noise, but wasn't sure if other cars had it. What would make the diff on these cars so noisy? There is no vibration just a loud drone from the back end over 60 mph.

I really can't say for sure, almost all my mustangs have had noisy rear ends.

Did I see a reinforcing brace for the rear trunk area some where that was for absorbing this noise. I think it is being transfored up through struts and into the rear seat and trunk area. Rick Gardner

Archived