TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trailer Towing Not Covered With Vehicle Towing

TClark24CP

Team Members,

Be aware of your towing policy! AAA will not tow a "loaded" trailer. They do offer a Premium policy but it too does NOT cover loaded trailers. In fact, they won't even move a loaded trailer off the road for safety purposes.

Today, we were driving home from an autocross event at Marina and our F450 took a dump and died in Morgan Hill. Fortunately, we exited an off ramp but the truck died before pulling to the shoulder. AAA towed the truck but left the trailer in the middle of the road. Seriously, who makes up this stuff?

Fortunately, a fellow racer lived 2 miles from where we broke down and picked up our trailer with his truck.

We were dumbfounded when we were informed about the tow limitations, and everyone we've talk to assumed trailers were covered.

So, beware of your tow policy! Just curious if others know or don't know about towing policies, and are there any tow policies which do include trailers. I've heard there is a company which horse hauler's use but the premiums are expensive.

Thanks, Tom

Tom, They are required to to Tow your trailer or reinburse you for towing cost if your trailer is an RV (Recreational Trailer)

so put a sink in it and a bed and call it your weekend warrior RV :cool:

Mike

Hey Tom, just another FYI to get RV coverage in todays world of AAA you need to have Premeir membership too...

Although that will cover motorcycle too if you have one.

Mike :shift:

Also be very aware that they will not come and help you change a tire on your trailer, no matter how small the trailer. This happened to my wife two years ago. They left her stranded on the side of a very busy highway with my daughter for three hours at night in the dark until I could get there and change the tire. All she needed was help breaking the lug nuts loose and they wouldn't help her because it was on the trailer. After over 20 years with AAA and never a single claim for assistance, I called the next morning and told them where to go and dropped them like a rock.

Archived