TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trade My 2011 Gt500 For A 2013 Gt500?

So my wife has given me the green light to trade my 2011 black/black w/ svt package for a 2013 grabber blue w/ black stripes & glass roof, all the goodies and never titled with 800 miles. Looking for input if it's worth it to trade up and their bottom price is 62k for a 13' seems a little steep to me.

I presume you can test drive it if it's already got 800 miles on it? Most of us couldn't and just got ours based on everybody else's comments. Also, although 62 seems a little high it'll boil down to what they give you on your 2011 and the spread. Go test drive it and make a deal!

I went from a 2011 (which I was very happy with) to a '14 which I am even happier with. (LOL) I wanted what I assumed at the time would be the last of the GT500's. Remains to be seen if it was or not but I'm happy and would do it again in a micro second. As said above the '13 you're looking at is basically a new car. I think of the 2013/14 Shelby GT-500's as being similar to the 1969/70 Boss 429's and Shelby GT-500's. Basically the last of the Big Dogs. :cool:

Don't get it sight unseen. Check it for smoke dents etc. That's a lot of miles. ask who drive it. Sometimes the sales gm will drive it hard. Make sure it shifts smoothly. I thought if it was over 500.miles it had to be sold as used. Just bought a 300. Mile vette and gm sold it as used. Cheaper price

I jumped from a '12 to a '14 this past January and have no regrets whatsoever!

Me either. It cost me about 10K to go from a 12 to a 14 but 10 years from now my bet is the price spread between a 12 and 14 will be way more then the 10K I lost making the trade. The extra 112 hp is a bonus too.

You see a trend? Anyone that has driven a 13+ is ALL smiles. I still love the Terlingua- its all personality. But there is just no comparison to a 2013-14 GT500. Its quite simply the best mustang ever produced.

Well you all have confirmed what I was thinking although I wished it was classified as used and save me 3-4k more but there not budging on the price. It's the exact one I want so I'm pulling the trigger! Thanks again everyone

I'll post pics for sure. A couple more questions. Does anyone think I should get a 14 over 13 and settle for a different color combo? Also, I've read some people like the 3.73 gearing better than the 3.31. Thoughts??

I'll post pics for sure. A couple more questions. Does anyone think I should get a 14 over 13 and settle for a different color combo? Also, I've read some people like the 3.73 gearing better than the 3.31. Thoughts??

There are some very minor cosmetic differences with the door sill and gauges between a 13/14. Other than that they are identical and will perform the same. So put year aside and find what is right for you. Whether it's the best combo of options and color, or simply the cheapest one.

With the obvious differences between my 2011 & a 13 & 14 being the increased horsepower, tail lightts, front facia, track pack & the 3.73 vs 3.31 gearing I'm a little hesitant to go for the 13 due to the price. After scouring the internet it looks like I can get a 2014 without a glass roof for less money or a convertible for the same money but a year newer. That's really what I'm grappling with. Do I get exactly what I'm looking for but a 2013 vs maybe settling for a differnt color combo but a 2014. I'm also read the 3.31 gearing is more difficult to drive around town vs the 3.73 in my 2011. Anyone have any real life experience with that?

Me either. It cost me about 10K to go from a 12 to a 14 but 10 years from now my bet is the price spread between a 12 and 14 will be way more then the 10K I lost making the trade. The extra 112 hp is a bonus too.

Tried to trade our 12 at several dealerships for a 14. Our sticker was 59K and they were asking 25K diffeence so didn't bite. Would have done it for 10-15

If it were me, I'd go for the 13 & get what you really want. ( the glass roof is amazing )

I am having 3.73's put in my 14, but it's @ the tuner now & I can't tell you about any driving differences.

I never changed the 3.55's in my 11, nor felt the need to.

6twy.jpg

Tried to trade our 12 at several dealerships for a 14. Our sticker was 59K and they were asking 25K diffeence so didn't bite. Would have done it for 10-15

I probably misspoke a little in my statement, commenting from memory, which is something I should never do... Got my documents out and I paid 52K for my 12 Shelby, which stickered for $55,570. It had about 1200 miles on it when I traded it in for the 14 and they allowed me $41,500 for it in trade. So the number was actually $10,500, basically in depreciation. Then I had to pay the difference in cost of the 12 versus the cost of the 14 ($60,685) So, about $15,500 in round numbers it cost to upgrade 2 models years and 112 HP. It was worth every penny.

My deal was a little convoluted since I also traded my 08 F250 diesel in too. They actually quoted the 14 at about $3500 off sticker but they manipulated the numbers on the docs showing the 14 Shelby at sticker but they bumped the agreed upon trade in value of the pickup up by $3500 to offset the difference. All total they allowed me $75019.00 for the 12 Shelby and an 08 F250 against a $60685 14 Shelby. I didn't have to pay any sales tax at all.

Unless your 12 had a lot of miles 25K does seem pretty excessive for difference between the two. I would try again. You'll be glad you did. I've got to get rid of this stupid clutch spring assist thing though. Been driving manuals for 45 years but I looked like a 16 year old trying to learn a stick yesterday on my first real drive of 2014. 3.31's are partially the problem too. I hate them!!!

I probably misspoke a little in my statement, commenting from memory, which is something I should never do... Got my documents out and I paid 52K for my 12 Shelby, which stickered for $55,570. It had about 1200 miles on it when I traded it in for the 14 and they allowed me $41,500 for it in trade. So the number was actually $10,500, basically in depreciation. Then I had to pay the difference in cost of the 12 versus the cost of the 14 ($60,685) So, about $15,500 in round numbers it cost to upgrade 2 models years and 112 HP. It was worth every penny.

My deal was a little convoluted since I also traded my 08 F250 diesel in too. They actually quoted the 14 at about $3500 off sticker but they manipulated the numbers on the docs showing the 14 Shelby at sticker but they bumped the agreed upon trade in value of the pickup up by $3500 to offset the difference. All total they allowed me $75019.00 for the 12 Shelby and an 08 F250 against a $60685 14 Shelby. I didn't have to pay any sales tax at all.

Unless your 12 had a lot of miles 25K does seem pretty excessive for difference between the two. I would try again. You'll be glad you did. I've got to get rid of this stupid clutch spring assist thing though. Been driving manuals for 45 years but I looked like a 16 year old trying to learn a stick yesterday on my first real drive of 2014. 3.31's are partially the problem too. I hate them!!!

The clutch release point in the 2014 seems much higher than in my previous 2011 GT-500. I think the 3.55's also made for easier around town driving too. I seem to have to slip the clutch more in the 2014 than I ever did in my 2011. However, I'm beginning to really like the 3.31's. A third gear pull on the highway is good for 135 mph if you're not careful and it's like kicking in the Hyperdrive in Star War's when you start moving. Objects in front of you start getting bigger really quick and those in your rearview mirrors nearly shrink into invisibility. Mine's a daily driver again like my previous 2011 was and the improvement In mpg is noticeable too.

I'm a happy, make that a very happy camper with my new Shelby. :cool:

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like the the 3.31 will take some getting used to. So the dealer came back with their offer today. 36,500 for my trade & 62k for the 2013 which they say is 1k back of invoice. I countered with.... get me to 20k trade difference & I'll do the deal. We'll see! I think I can squeeze some more out of them. My 2011 is loaded w/SVT pkg & 11,600 miles. Hopefully they can make it happen.

check Edmunds.com for invoice on the car---the 2014s have about 6K of margin-plus the selling dealer on a new car gets a 3% hold back fromFord.Specific car combos are getting rare right now the. 14vert i just got was. blue w/o recaros was the last one left in the country.I had to pay MSRP and got 35K on my 9500 mile red/silver ( 1 of 27) car My new car listed at 67K.I did look at a 5000 mile 12 vert,black that was at 45K.If youre flexibleon options i think you can get lower than MSRP , but if you want THAT car and its rare,go for it It really is incredible.What i did was sit down at the dealers compuetr and watched as he searched each regions inventory in 500 mile radius increments with the color,options i wanted--you mighttry that with another dealer to see if there are any others like the one you like,anywhere--but shipping will add $1000 unless you want to drive it homegood luck

They are right in line with edmunds. I'm trying to gain some additional discount with it being a 13 with 869 miles. Even though it's never been titled its still a 13 & yes I may just get a 14 just not that exact color combo & glass roof and I'd still be happy!

With the obvious differences between my 2011 & a 13 & 14 being the increased horsepower, tail lightts, front facia, track pack & the 3.73 vs 3.31 gearing I'm a little hesitant to go for the 13 due to the price. After scouring the internet it looks like I can get a 2014 without a glass roof for less money or a convertible for the same money but a year newer. That's really what I'm grappling with. Do I get exactly what I'm looking for but a 2013 vs maybe settling for a differnt color combo but a 2014. I'm also read the 3.31 gearing is more difficult to drive around town vs the 3.73 in my 2011. Anyone have any real life experience with that?

The 3.31 rear gear can be a bit harsher on the clutch due to how long the gearing is, hence slipping the clutch is easier than say with a 3.73 or 4.10. I like the longer 3.31 gears, but in all honesty if Ford offered a 3.73 option with Ford speedometer calibration from the factory, I would have went 3.73. Granted, these cars make a boat load of low end torque, however a 3.73 would probably liven the car up and make it easier to drive.

So my wife has given me the green light to trade my 2011 black/black w/ svt package for a 2013 grabber blue w/ black stripes & glass roof, all the goodies and never titled with 800 miles. Looking for input if it's worth it to trade up and their bottom price is 62k for a 13' seems a little steep to me.

IMO it depends on what you plan on doing with either car. Do you plan to keep the '13 stock? What about your '11? If you're not worried about warranty work and just want more power, you could certainly modify the '11 to be equal or greater than the '13 in power with a few thousand dollars. But, if you're after the '13 to keep it stock and just want the prestige or color combination, then by all means do what you're comfortable with.

The 3.31 rear gear can be a bit harsher on the clutch due to how long the gearing is, hence slipping the clutch is easier than say with a 3.73 or 4.10. I like the longer 3.31 gears, but in all honesty if Ford offered a 3.73 option with Ford speedometer calibration from the factory, I would have went 3.73. Granted, these cars make a boat load of low end torque, however a 3.73 would probably liven the car up and make it easier to drive.

I wouldn't be too concerned about livening up a 2013 - 2014! These cars are quite amazing even in stock configuration. I ran some errands this morning and people must think I'm crazy ...whenever I'm at a traffic light I have a huge smile on my face :) I traded in my '12 for '14 in January...have NO regrets. If your budget allows, I say go find a new '14 and get it the way you want it.

Archived