TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions About Heat Soak.

Kayz

Hi guys, my first post here.

Summer is here with all its glories. I ran my 2013 Shelby for an errand today, and I felt like the car wasn't pulling hard at all. It wasn't bogging down or anything, but I felt quite a big loss in power, 1st gear, 2nd, u name it. IIts important to to note the temperature outside is now 37C ( 99F) my question is, is it high enough temp to feel this loss of power? "heat soak" if it is, is there a mod I should look into cuz summers here last a long time ( all the way into November) or should I get the car checked out and be worried about other issues? It was recently serviced only has 4k on the clock and I chked for any possible loose hoses and pipes and found none, but im not car mechanic.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

thx for the info, do you feel my car behaving 'underpowered' can be due to heat soak in 99F temps or could be something else? is 99F temp outside high enough to induce heat soak?

Absolutely. Especially the longer you drive in those temps.

To answer your question about mods to help with heat soak: You need an extreme duty heat exchanger and larger reservoir. It's not cheap, but will make a huge difference.

Absolutely. Especially the longer you drive in those temps.

Drove it for about half an hour, it was pretty damn hot in the engine bay when I got home and popped the hood. thanks for ur reply.

"Heavy duty heat exchanger and larger reservoir"- now if someone could point me in the right direction when it comes to brands etc, and if anyone here has done a similar mod.

thx once again every1.

Thx a lot ViperNC. I am curious still if someone on these forums have bought and installed these. cheers.

My car has all of our cooling options (tanks, H/E, and radiator), as I live in Vegas, where we go for months over 100 degrees.

The upgraded heat exchanger passes the coolant through TWICE, PLUS the increaded capacity of our tanks means the fluid has more time to circulate (since there is more of it!)

Our radiator is another important piece of the puzzle: http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Extreme-Duty-Radiator-p/z12-s7m-8005-c.htm

My car does not EVER suffer from heat soak, even after multiple track laps...

Jer

My car has all of our cooling options (tanks, H/E, and radiator), as I live in Vegas, where we go for months over 100 degrees.

The upgraded heat exchanger passes the coolant through TWICE, PLUS the increaded capacity of our tanks means the fluid has more time to circulate (since there is more of it!)

Our radiator is another important piece of the puzzle: http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Extreme-Duty-Radiator-p/z12-s7m-8005-c.htm

My car does not EVER suffer from heat soak, even after multiple track laps...

Jer

HEY!

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation, WITHOUT ELECTRONICS!

Phill

Thx a lot ViperNC. I am curious still if someone on these forums have bought and installed these. cheers.

Quite a few of us here have it/them.

See my sig;

Phill

I was looking at the Shelby heat exchanger but 1,100 dollars is a lot of money, I know VMP sells a nice one for 800 bucks, I wounder if the shelby one is really that much better?

We have a very good one, and an insanely good one.

The very good one is sufficient for most applications, and compares very favorably within its price range market: http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-High-Performance-Heat-Exchanger-p/z12-s5m-6k775-u.htm

Jer

HEY!

Aren't you supposed to be on vacation, WITHOUT ELECTRONICS!

Phill

Yes!

Sorry!

Jer

Thx for all the info Jer. What would be a better upgrade if I go for one only, the heat exchanger or the radiator? im sure both would be the ultimate. Also do you guys ship them overseas?

Heat Exchanger. For most apps, the lesser of the two is more than adequete. I have it (mfgr. Is C&R, regardless of who sells it) and with the mods I have it works GREAT.

When you get up into the Shelby S1000 HP range, THEN start thinking about the XXL version.

Phill

I was looking at the Shelby heat exchanger but 1,100 dollars is a lot of money, I know VMP sells a nice one for 800 bucks, I wounder if the shelby one is really that much better?

Yes. $1100 vs $800, it is THAT much better (IMHO).

Phill

Thx for all the info Jer. What would be a better upgrade if I go for one only, the heat exchanger or the radiator? im sure both would be the ultimate. Also do you guys ship them overseas?

According to Gil Nevarz here, he always recommends the radiator first, as the engine contributes more heat to the engine compartment, so a cooler engine helps more. I also recommend the tanks, for my abve-stated reason.

Jer

We have a very good one, and an insanely good one.

The very good one is sufficient for most applications, and compares very favorably within its price range market: http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-High-Performance-Heat-Exchanger-p/z12-s5m-6k775-u.htm

Jer

What is the major difference between the to of them?

What is the major difference between the to of them?

SIZE.

Jer

• 2 months later...

We have a great HE unit on the 13/14 MY, what we are lacking is low speed cooling, Spal Fans would have helped. What would be GREAT if someone posted the Install of the Competition HE and posted real world data , IAT2 and ambient temps.VS the original Shelby C/R unit. Especially concerning the Track Pack folks. What has to be cut, or altered to get that monster installed?

I'm fighting 100-115* in Phoenix most of the summer. A Heat Exchanger with fans was almost a necessity since heat soak sets in after a couple minutes of driving, especially sitting in traffic or stopped at lights. It is very notable on a track.

Lots of good HE choices out there. I'd chat with Van at Revan Racing or BJ and VMP Tuning (BTW, Shelby models are identical to Van's). Both are very knowledgeable and can get you into the proper size HE for your application (racing, DD, etc).

Install takes a little effort, but is doable with some basic tools in your garage. Seconds set of hands is helpful, but not necessary. There are a couple good videos on YouTube that walk you through the process and were very helpful.

Good luck!

Archived