TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Details, Details, Details.........

gotoatz

Last year my wife got me the Porter Cable polisher for my Birthday. Since then, I have always wanted to try the pad that is made for clay bar. I finally got around to it this past two days. Friday was Shelby day, Saturday was Bullitt day. Today is arm recovery day.......

IMG_1517_zps4180b3d8.jpg

IMG_1518_zps2d8144fc.jpg

As you can see from this pic, it really is very effective......

IMG_1519_zpsabc61b4b.jpg

I followed the Clay Bar with Poor Boys World Pro Polish 2 on an Orange Lake Country Pad, then followed that with Poor Boys World Ex Carnuba Sealant / Wax on a White Lake Country Pad. Same process for both cars. The Shelby also got a fresh treatment of 303 Protectant on the stripes....

Here are a few pics of the results. Very pleased thus far.....

IMG_1528_zpscd6d014b.jpg

IMG_1536_zps134e13e2.jpg

IMG_1542_zps8aedbabb.jpg

IMG_1545_zps82eba938.jpg

IMG_1547_zps447f1e49.jpg

IMG_1548_zps21af201e.jpg

IMG_1549_zpsc6d9ea41.jpg

IMG_1540_zpsd4132af9.jpg

IMG_1537_zps75f6db2d.jpg

IMG_1526_zps0e27353e.jpg

They look great! Impressive.

Earlier today I was talking to a friend about a full detail on the Shelby. Strip wax, clay bar, reapply wax.

Your pics made me want to do it that much more.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooo shiny! :love_shower: I just bought a clay bar and was going to my car, right up until her wheel sensor sent her to the dealership for repairs this weekend....Though that 6 hours is sure a grimace inducing number! spaghetti noodle arms for sure!

Thank you all again. Yes, the Dark Highland Green on the Bullitt looks amazing when freshly done. Just like taking care of a black car really.......

What has been really nice is washing and drying since the major detailing. I have used pure water, no soap, and they both clean up beautifully. The PoorBoys products seem to work very well at a reasonable price. We shall see how long they hold up.......

Thx,

Mike

Thank you all again. Yes, the Dark Highland Green on the Bullitt looks amazing when freshly done. Just like taking care of a black car really.......

What has been really nice is washing and drying since the major detailing. I have used pure water, no soap, and they both clean up beautifully. The PoorBoys products seem to work very well at a reasonable price. We shall see how long they hold up.......

Thx,

Mike

Tell me more about this "Porter Cable polisher" thing you speak of. I have never heard of such a beast.

Is it just the pad or the machine too? "Cable" polisher? Is it cable driven or something?

I wax (carnuba) by hand but have a rotary polisher. I've been hesitant to use it for fear of burning through the thin paint FoMoCo applies. I have some thin scratches and some swirl marks that hand waxing just wont get rid of and have been thinking of a professional detail job. But having said that there are few and far between any pro detailers in my area that I trust (I'm a super anal retentive perfectionist).

So again, tell me more......

Phill

My 07 vert is Alloy and needs to be brightened up. So, you mash the clay bar flat, put it on the pad and buff away? I'm as afraid of a power buffer on my car as I am a rattlesnake in my boot! I've seen too many guys who "knew what they were doing" buff the paint right off a seam.......

BUT, I really, really, really like your results! I want mine that shiny!

My 07 vert is Alloy and needs to be brightened up. So, you mash the clay bar flat, put it on the pad and buff away? I'm as afraid of a power buffer on my car as I am a rattlesnake in my boot! I've seen too many guys who "knew what they were doing" buff the paint right off a seam.......

BUT, I really, really, really like your results! I want mine that shiny!

That is pretty much correct. You still need to grab a couple of bottles of detail spray or claybar spray, and lubricate with that just like if you were claying by hand.

The results you see here, are my FIRST TIME using the porter cable. It is a random orbital device, with a multiple speed setting. Everything I read prior to ever attempting it, says that it is pretty much impossible to burn your paint with it. It really is very easy to use.....

Trust me, I was as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs first time I used it.......Not any more.......

Just buy quality buffing pads, and you will be fine.....

Archived