TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Delete At Home?

Capt500

My 2011 is black with the skinny red SVTPP stripes. I was in love with this color combo when I bought the car almost 4 years ago, but find my self admiring solid black more and more. Has anyone peeled off their factory stripes? My biggest fear is that I will have perfect, blemish-free paint stripes going over the top of my car, particularly the front bumper. I'd rather not have to spend hours, or even days, trying to blend in these "stripes" with the rest of the paint. I take very good care of my car's exterior, so it is not in bad shape at all. However, it is 4 years old with 13,500 miles. And, black will of course show any and all blemishes/differences in the paint.

Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or experiences they'd like to share? Thanks!

You didn't mention this option, but you could change the stripe to a matte black. Mine is a black stripe delete car and I'm thinking about getting the matte black stripe. It's still a sold black car but with the attitude of the stripe.

Not on the Shelby, but I had installed an SS Superstripe on my 05 Mineral Gray. The stripe was on for about 4 years or so when I removed it. There was a bit of a ghost stripe when removed, but it faded extremely fast. As I recall, it was probably a month or so, and I could no longer see the ghost stripe.

One option would be to remove the stripes and have a pro shop buff out the whole car with a polish and glaze.

You really need to be careful with power buffers, as it is easy to burn right through the paint on creases, edges etc.

If you don't have experience with a power buffer, or a buddy with experience, you can do the same thing by hand with far less risk.

Get a good clay bar and then hand glaze and polish the car, something like this from Adams should do the trick:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-1005-new-adams-made-in-the-usa-detailing-clay-combo.aspx

Seal it up with a good wax and you should be in great shape:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-566-adams-premium-shine-kit.aspx

It is a bit of work, but sure looks good when you are done.

Just reached 12,500km on my 08, and it seems like I drive it a lot (sunny days only).

Archived