TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Red Kr At Mecum Today No Sale At $63K

REAL ONE

I was told that a '09 red KR was a no sale at Mecum today at $63,000.00.

Seller refused to take reserve off.

Anyone have more info?

It was being sold by a dealer. Only had 150 miles on it. They tried to sell it originally for 120K. That would explain why it sat for so long.

Thanks. $63k was likely a little low for a red with only 150 miles but If he wanted $120k sounds like this dealer wants and expects too much right now. $120k was reality in 2007 and not likely again for a long time.

If the number hit $65k that would have been the right number and if he took the reserve off it might have got there but agaain he likely wanted way more.

Either way, $55k and $63k is better than $45k. A 17 mile black KR just popped up on Ebay for $85k. The often listed Vista Blue one is the same price. I get a sense the delivery mile KR's are increasing slightly. Still along way from MSRP though.

+1 :yup: If sellers would stop giving away their cars, maybe they would hold their value better.

Amen. Sellers need to appreciate the fact there are only 1600 of these cars on the planet divided into just 4 color groups and one of 3 pre title Shelbys produced since the 60s and likely the LAST pre title Shelby that will come out of SAI. One of the nicest looking Mustangs to boot. These cars are under valued right now and should and will one day command more than Super Snakes. Mho. I also believe that Vista blue and Torch red KRs will command a premium based on there very low production numbers.

+1 :yup: If sellers would stop giving away their cars, maybe they would hold their value better.

I'll give you a second "Amen"! You should see how some of the 40th's have been given away lately, with a number even more limited than the KRs.

I'll give you a second "Amen"! You should see how some of the 40th's have been given away lately, with a number even more limited than the KRs.

The 40th is a "nice" car but it's not even in the same orbit as the KR. Not even close. I do agree that prices are all over the place making it difficult to get what the car is worth. There are too many idiots throwing their Shelbys under the bus price wise and that guy dumping his 40th on the other thread is part of the problem. KRs should be bringing at least $20k more than 40ths all day long. The market is really really out of whack exactly because of guys like that.

• 2 months later...

This past Saturday at Mecum Harrisburg, a RED KR, 740 miles sold for $48k. Very low CSM# too. That is what I consider legal theft.

Lot S83.1 // Harrisburg 2014 // July 24-27

2008 Shelby GT500KR
5.4/540 HP, 6-Speed, 740 Miles sold_small.png $48,000

For owners this is a very very disappointing number. For the new owner of this car an unbelievably fantastic number.

My sense from the history of Red KR's at Mecum (there have only been 4 since 2009 of which 3 were no sales, one at $50K and one of which was a no sale at $63K .This one sold in Harrisburg PA, not a big money venue for $48K. The seller was likely very motivated and wanted to dump the car. Another is scheduled in August out in California. I know the reserve on California KR is well above $48K. Clearly a better sellers venue. I would never put a car like that for sale in Harrisburg.

There is no way I would EVER entertain selling my Torch Red KR for $48K and it has 2700 miles on it. I'd turn it into a potted plant holder first.

This auction had an 8% buyer's fee and an 8% seller's fee. The hammer price was $48000. The buyer paid the auction house $48000 PLUS $3840 fee. The seller received from the auction $48000 MINUS $3840. So the buyer was willing to pay $51840 and the seller was willing to let the car go for $44160. The seller controlled the reserve and could have taken the car home if he wanted to.

Either way Mecum made some easy money and the buyer made out. Seller was the big loser on this one.

Glad the new owner is an enthusiast. He bought what appears to be a great rare car.

My red '09 KR just sold to Sam in New Zealand, from another KR Thread. People kept bugging me with stupid lowball offers like "Will you match the price of this silver one . . ." Sam will get a completely unmolested zero damage car with 3300 miles, plus a full set of NOS KR wheels & tires, spare KR CF splitter, spare stripes and a Shelby cover (never out of the bag) and a few other goodies. I'm not telling the price but he can if he wants, it gets loaded into the container this week.

We'll miss it, especially my wife but we didn't drive it enough to warrant keeping it.

If I ever see a Vista Blue KR up for auction at any Mecum event, I will attend. Seems like Mecum is a dumping ground for KR's.

I think that had more to do with a desperate seller and venue location....jmo

Archived