TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Charlotte Late Model Race

svttim

I have to tell you, the late model race in Charlotte is one Ill never forget nor do I want to repeat. I have no issue racing in the rain but, racing in the rain on a super speedway is something that raised the pucker factor. To see the car in front of me, I had to get within a car length or closer going into the banking. Running that close at triple digit speeds in a corner is not big deal until you add poor visibility and water on the track. For those of you that don't own racecars, we don't have defrosters, well besides the back of a gloved hand if your fortunate to have long arms. I spun on a practice session because could not see my turn in. And believe me, I was being conservative. I could have pushed the last lap and won but, decided to not push It and finish P2. After all, it is an exhibition

Charlottetrack1_zps5503be7f.jpg

Funny man :)

In all seriousness, this one took patience, something I was never known for and never will be. I took lines others we not willing to. I would not say I was sitting back on cruise. I was up on the wheel the entire time and, happy to put it in the trailer the way it started.

Funny man :)

In all seriousness, this one took patience, something I was never known for and never will be. I took lines others we not willing to. I would not say I was sitting back on cruise. I was up on the wheel the entire time and, happy to put it in the trailer the way it started.

Bringing her home in one piece is a victory in itself considering. Well done.

Ohh - they are VERY NICE and they keep me nice and dry until I'm ready to go out onto the track. I have the "crew" pull them out just before leaving the grid to go onto the hot pit lane. I ran in the rain in the first 2 races of this season (no defroster here) . I put in floor heat insulator panels so that the steam from the rain hitting the warm floor (heated from the exhaust system)doesn't cause steam/fogging up on the front window - it helps for that and also keeps my shoes from getting too hot. Rehagen Racing makes one for the drivers side out of carbon fiber. Funny thing is that I plan on going with a "cool suit" setup for the summer months for when it get over 100 degrees at the track and the inside of the car gets to well over 120 degrees.

Archived