TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Security System For 2014 Gt500???

LewieE

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed and re-discussed, but it has left me more than a little confused about the best way to move forward. Questions will be at the bottom. Also, I will probably post this on a couple of boards, so I apologize if you see this more than once. I also recognize that if a professional car thief wants the car, they are going to get it, so I am trying to protect against mid-level and lower thieves...something to make it not worth their while to attempt.

As I am less than three weeks from taking delivery of my 2014 Ruby Red GT500, I know that I want more that the passive system that is standard on the 2014 GT500, but don't know which way to go. I was leaning toward the Ravelco, and haven't completely ruled it out, but after reading a lot of posts, I believe I need an active anti-theft system.

Questions:

1. Ford offers an active anti-theft system for $208 plus dealer installation. Does anyone have any experience with that alarm? Does it offer the same features as the security system upgrade on the GT (e.g. Tilt sensor, backup sensor)? It uses a factory wiring harness and keeps all warranties in tact, but how easily is it defeated?

2. I've read a lot about the Viper alarm. I haven't priced it yet, but it seems like from other posts that it is very expensive and dependent on finding a quality installer. How does it compare to the Ford system? Is it worth the extra cost?

3. Finally, lots of good press on the Ravelco, but most installers (from what I've read), consider it an overpriced kill switch. Any other first hand experience here? I may want to use this as a second layer, but if that's the case, then another hidden kill switch may be a moore cost effective means to do this.

By the way, I don't want to make it so difficult for me to start my own car that I leave these protections disabled.

As I am looking at insurance, I did find out that the theft rates for the GT500 are very low. I'm not sure if that's because most GT500 owners invest in quality anti-theft systems or if they are just too hard to turnover.

Again, apologies for bringing the dead horse back to the race, but I could really use some advice.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

For my 10 vert I had a very good mechanic install a hidden cut off switch. When j leave my car I just turn the switch. It's just s toggle. The only car I've actually had stolen from ny house,was taken by a guy with a roll bacit it had

Onstar and they caught him in south Georgia

As I am looking at insurance, I did find out that the theft rates for the GT500 are very low. I'm not sure if that's because most GT500 owners invest in quality anti-theft systems or if they are just too hard to turnover.

Welcome to the forum.

I think the reason that the theft rates are low is because a lot of Shelby's are very carefully guarded. Mine is either in my sight or locked in the garage at the house. I never leave it unattended away from home. My supplemental security system is made by S&W. Easy to use and 100% reliable.

Welcome to the forum.

I think the reason that the theft rates are low is because a lot of Shelby's are very carefully guarded. Mine is either in my sight or locked in the garage at the house. I never leave it unattended away from home. My supplemental security system is made by S&W. Easy to use and 100% reliable.

What model is your S&W supplemental security system?? For my 09 I have S&W performance 5.5" .460 and the 14 has a standard 7.5" .500 model. So far they seem to work good with no problems or recall's

What model is your S&W supplemental security system?? For my 09 I have S&W performance 5.5" .460 and the 14 has a standard 7.5" .500 model. So far they seem to work good with no problems or recall's

You definitely have some heavy security with those monsters. I have a Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece), Model 66 (Combat Magnum in Stainless), and a Model 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. From a shooting standpoint, I like the 66 the best. If I am at my best, the piece is a tack driver. The 15 was our standard side arm when I entered the USAF in 1969. As you probably know, it has been replaced by the Beretta M9. I like the 29 but can't really shoot well with Magnums. Do much better with 44 Specials.

You definitely have some heavy security with those monsters. I have a Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece), Model 66 (Combat Magnum in Stainless), and a Model 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. From a shooting standpoint, I like the 66 the best. If I am at my best, the piece is a tack driver. The 15 was our standard side arm when I entered the USAF in 1969. As you probably know, it has been replace by the Beretta M9. I like the 29 but can't really shoot well with Magnums. Do much better with 44 Specials.

Those are some mighty fine insurance pieces. I don't have a mod 29 but do have a super Redhawk & Blackhawk in .44 mag's which I like also. My nephew can put 2 out of 3 in the same hole @ 35 paces w/the .500. Wish I was that good but I never had sniper training if the lead don't get you the blast will

• 2 weeks later...

Both husband and I have concealed weapons permits. Mine is a Ruger LCP 380 and his changes with his mood! Also don't think its a good idea to use the Shelby cover when travelling but a plain one and we try to park within sight of our room if possible. At a facility like the Vegas hotels valet parking is the best because the area is pretty secure where they are parked.

U act like they are going to car jack u vice wait till u leave the car un attended. Pistol in the cup holder then just gives them a couple hundred more once they steal ur ride cuz tat gun by its self won't defend ur car lol

U act like they are going to car jack u vice wait till u leave the car un attended. Pistol in the cup holder then just gives them a couple hundred more once they steal ur ride cuz tat gun by its self won't defend ur car lol

Never said I left it in the cup holder.

I would be curious to see what the dealer alarm is. I asked this over on svtperf and didn't get an answer. I was not able to determine how much better the dealer alarm was than what is already on the car. In the past I have had Ford alarms and they integrated nicely on the vehicle with the harness.

Tom

Archived