TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tpms Tire Pressure Monitor Reset? New Mpss Tires

pgodden

I got my new tires today, didn't want them to touch the car so I removed the wheels took them over to the tire shop and had them put the tires on the factory rims removing the OEM goodyears. I was just looking at the original quote they gave me, the one where they had the car, it has a Tire Pressure Monitor Reset on it. Now as I took the wheels over and have them here for a self install is this something I have to do here at home and can I? It's not on the end bill so I assume it's on the car not the wheel?

Also.. What pressure is everyone running these tires at? I just didn't want them messing with the car...

I don't think it will be necessary to do anything with the TPMS system since you'll be putting the same wheels back on the car. If you put new wheels on the car (with new TPMS sensors in them), then you need to train the system to recognize the new sensors. After you put the new TPMS sensors on the car you need to put the TPMS system into "learn mode" and "ping" each sensor with a special $50 tool. That process allows the TPMS system to learn the unique signature from each of the new sensors. Since you're putting the old sensors back on the car, the TPMS system is already trained to recognize them and you should be fine.

Here's the tool you need to ping the sensors during the training process when installing new TPMS sensors. I have to use it each spring and fall when I swap summer/winter wheels/tires on my 2007 Crown Vic.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/TPMS19/Mustang-Tpms-Sensor-Training-Tool

I don't think it does. I don't think the TPMS system keeps track of what monitor is on what wheel. When you get a low tire, it just tells you you have a low tire. It doesn't say left rear tire low. Worst case, it would tell you the wrong tire is low if you swap wheels from side to side.

I wouldn't worry too much about the TPMS on these cars. I have had new TPMS sensors installed on several occasions and have never had to reset the system. Tire pressure wise, I would recommend using the factory settings of 35psi.

Mark

pgodden,

I did the same thing when I switched out both wheels & tires. However, I do believe the system recognizes the TPMS sensors in a sequence from Front R/Front L to rear L/R. Therefore, I think you need to either buy the TPMS tool and recalibrate the sensors for the tires they are in now, or swing by your local Ford dealership and have the guys ping them for you. There's a video at either American Muscle or CJ Pony Parts that shows the sensors are done in a specific order; hence my thinking that since you didn't necessarily go Left F to Left F, etc, you might need to re-ping them if you want the system to read true.

Also, like Mark said above, I've never relied on TPMS to monitor my tire pressure either.

Take it easy,

Quinn

Archived