TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang Prototype Spied?

Staff

(Dearborn, MI) StangsUnleashed.com - Captured in Dearborn, this Grabber Orange Mustang prototype has several features that could make it a potential future Mach1 or Boss model.

2009%20Boss%20Mustang%201.jpg

There are several striking features on this Mustang prototype that can be used on either a future Boss or a Mach-1 model.

The first item of interest is the Shelby GT-H style front grille with the Mustang running horse emblem offset to one side. Note that absense of any fog lamps and the use of a standard Mustang V6 front end? This would be consistent with rumors that the next-generation Boss Mustang would continue on the tradition of the 1969 model by not using any parts not essential to performance. Below the grille is a lower front chin spoiler, which harkens back to the 1969 Boss 302 Mustang.

One point of contention on this being a potential Boss Mustang, however, is the appearance of a non-functional hood-scoop. Non-functional hood-scoops were not used on the original 1969-1971 Boss Mustangs. They style of hood-scoop shown were factory on 1969-1970 Mach1 Mustangs and available on other models too. What is interesting about the stripes: If the were extended all the way back toward the cowl, they would closely mimic those originally found on 1970 Mach1 Mustangs.

2009%20Boss%20Mustang%202.jpg

From the rear, you'll notice the Michigan "Manufacturer Plate," which is of small consequence when the flat black, pedestal trunk mounted spolier stands right out. The spoiler, along with the flat black painted taillight panel are certainly Boss 302 trademarks.

You'll also notice that even though this Mustang uses a standard V6 body, it also has two rear exhaust pipes taken directely from the 2007 Shelby GT. The only question that we can't answer is what engine lies under the hood?

Another point of interest is the new Mustang wheels, which we have not yet seen before.

While we can only speculate as to what this new Mustang exactly is, Mustang enthusiasts can rejoice that something new for the Mustang is on the horizon. . .and just in time for the Camaro and Challenger. Let the specualation begin :happy feet:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that the wheels look like the Marauder wheels from the defunct Mercury model of the same name, not my first choice but I'd likely swap wheels anyway so I don't care.

The front and rear treatments are certainly reminiscent of the Boss Mustang's with minimal external add-on's with the primary focus being under the skin with serious performance hardware. I believe this to be a Boss mule and would be fine with the exterior as long as the stripes and hood scoop were optional (not a big fan of non-functional hood scoops). The proof will be what lies underneath the hood and fenders - at least 5.0 liters worth of snarling naturally aspirated V8 horsepower (400+) with a 6 spd transmission, 14" brakes and (hopefully) and IRS. I hope this revelation indicates the Boss is still alive and kicking and destined to debut in '09. I can hardly wait!!! :happy feet:

Let's be honest. Saleen's H281 looks a lot sharper than THAT!

Totally agree, the PJ and the H281 are far superior in the appearance department, hands down. However, if Ford delivers the performance goods, i.e. a true over-square free-revving 400+ HP NA V8 - preferably in either 5.0L or 5.8L trim - with a close ratio 6 spd trans, IRS, lowered "handling" suspension and big brakes, I'll take this wrapper to get that hardware. Then I can select the appropriate appearance parts from Saleen's parts bin and create the perfect road race Boss Mustang in both performance and appearance!! I've said before, I'd rather Ford invest their limited resources where it counts on the Boss - in hard performance pieces, not exterior styling other than a few well placed modifications such as a chin spoiler, rear pedestal spoiler and optional shaker hood.

By the way Pitpup, your car continues to impress, very well done indeed!!

Hey, MustangFanatic... when I said the H281 looks better what I meant was 'looks good on paper all around'. You know. Looks AND performance. I'm really starting to wonder what they could put under the hood and still be cost effective. A N/A 5.4 seems to be the talk, but you have to wonder.

TY for the compliment on my car. I always love to hear nice things from fellow sTANG owners... FYI: I'm done in the looks dept and the performance dept. All I have to do is enjoy it, and I do!

Note that absense of any fog lamps and the use of a standard Mustang V6 front end? This would be consistent with rumors that the next-generation Boss Mustang would continue on the tradition of the 1969 model by not using any parts not essential to performance.

Yea, like the fake hood and side scoops on that one.

Probably just a V6 "lunch runner" from the boys in the back.

Certainly this car could be an "appearance" prototype for the Boss but I don't think it is an engine test mule - there isn't any testing equipment visible in the photos - at least not from the angles these photos were taken. Unless of course this is nearly final product and all the testing is complete which I don't buy, I don't think Ford would reveal the new Boss that readily especially given all the recent secrecy. Bottom line for me is I'm fine with this as the external appearance for the Boss (although Ford should take a look at the PJ and H281 Saleen's if they really want to nail the Boss's exterior) as long as they provide the performance desired as discussed before - and the wait continues...

This is exciting and curious at the same time! I'm guessing this is just eval mule since the 'refreshed' body is likely quite different and more aero.

Curious that the hood scoop isn't the S-GT, nor the FRP functional piece that Galpin used on the SEMA Boss but which used a Boss crate & 4bbl. So this could be teasing with just some of the look since there's no reason to develop a functional piece at this point lacking the new body, imo.

Actually the chin spoiler could stand to be a bit larger, imo, and I'd expect a rear diffuser to be essential on the Boss as well.

What's most telling to me is the manufacturer's plate on the car. It would seem way too early to be parading pre-production prototypes when the body shape will likely be changing in '09 (MY'10) and the chassis likely will be re-popped for H/Boss fitment. If it's going to be an alloy 4v modular Boss there are all kinds of dead-ended development necessary (unless it's an iron 5.4 <yikes! :nonono: >) and I'd be surprised Ford will spring for UNLESS the Trans Am CID limit is 5.0L, which doesn't make sense to me given the Grand Am -- Trans Am needs to work slightly different turf. imo.

If the TransAm series is 5.8L, then it's gotta be an H/Boss because there's no way to homologate the Boss crates as production motors and there's no way to build a realistic 5.8 modular-based racer, imo, even with spray-bore tech.

Is there anyone in here who has any insight on the Trans Am pony-car class CID agreements/assumptions/considerations??? I think that's one of the real keys to figuring this out.

Or Ford could be playing with us by showing a Mach in GO, but I doubt that because the Mach would have to have big power, imo, and that front-end isn't going to cool the GT500 motor (and why a diff chin spoiner and why no rear diffuser, etc). Also, I'd bet the Mach is much more just a sticker and tape job than the Boss which requires real development, so what would be the purpose of a Mach prototype if it's a poor-man's GT500? Of course it could be a S/C'd 3V-mod Mach like the 450HP Harley F150, but why in GO if you're presumeably testing a mule and trying to go unnoticed?

It seems to me it has to be Boss-related: either MY'09 ('08) modular or MY'10 ('09) H/Boss early-development teaser sans new body. Again, TransAm CID and homologation requirements might illuminate this mystery.

Then again, who will be doing the alloy casting for Ford that a proper Boss will require? And what's Nemak up to with alloy castings? And why is Eaton of recent showing a Ford modular 4V head casting right next to a TVS S/C on their webpage with this caption: "Through an alliance with the Teksid Group of Turin, Italy, Eaton cylinder heads and components are being designed as an effective integrated system that meet the stringent demands of engine manufacturers?" Recall that Teksid is one of the few (some say the only) outside caster that does work for Ferarri racing and who did the early alloy modular blocks for Ford (in the same plant Ferrari uses) and are still considered by many to be the best mod alloy castings ever made. Coincidence? ...or could Eaton-Teksid be the missing link for a 4V alloy Boss?

Trans Am CID, alloy casting, chassis/mounts... if we figure out what's up with with those, this little puzzle becomes more solveable, imo. Wish I knew more about who did what for Ford on prior development.

Sorry for the stream-of-[un]consciousness <lol> -- just my way of trying to fit the pieces together.

I did notice in a relase on Ford Media a few days ago that SVT is alive and well and is presently developing two new vehicles: one a truck(!) and one a car. Certainly, the Mach would not require much SVT work, but the Boss or the GR-1 sure would.

Dan

This is exciting and curious at the same time! I'm guessing this is just eval mule since the 'refreshed' body is likely quite different and more aero.

Curious that the hood scoop isn't the S-GT, nor the FRP functional piece that Galpin used on the SEMA Boss but which used a Boss crate & 4bbl. So this could be teasing with just some of the look since there's no reason to develop a functional piece at this point lacking the new body, imo.

Actually the chin spoiler could stand to be a bit larger, imo, and I'd expect a rear diffuser to be essential on the Boss as well.

What's most telling to me is the manufacturer's plate on the car. It would seem way too early to be parading pre-production prototypes when the body shape will likely be changing in '09 (MY'10) and the chassis likely will be re-popped for H/Boss fitment. If it's going to be an alloy 4v modular Boss there are all kinds of dead-ended development necessary (unless it's an iron 5.4 <yikes! :nonono: >) and I'd be surprised Ford will spring for UNLESS the Trans Am CID limit is 5.0L, which doesn't make sense to me given the Grand Am -- Trans Am needs to work slightly different turf. imo.

If the TransAm series is 5.8L, then it's gotta be an H/Boss because there's no way to homologate the Boss crates as production motors and there's no way to build a realistic 5.8 modular-based racer, imo, even with spray-bore tech.

Is there anyone in here who has any insight on the Trans Am pony-car class CID agreements/assumptions/considerations??? I think that's one of the real keys to figuring this out.

Or Ford could be playing with us by showing a Mach in GO, but I doubt that because the Mach would have to have big power, imo, and that front-end isn't going to cool the GT500 motor (and why a diff chin spoiner and why no rear diffuser, etc). Also, I'd bet the Mach is much more just a sticker and tape job than the Boss which requires real development, so what would be the purpose of a Mach prototype if it's a poor-man's GT500? Of course it could be a S/C'd 3V-mod Mach like the 450HP Harley F150, but why in GO if you're presumeably testing a mule and trying to go unnoticed?

It seems to me it has to be Boss-related: either MY'09 ('08) modular or MY'10 ('09) H/Boss early-development teaser sans new body. Again, TransAm CID and homologation requirements might illuminate this mystery.

Then again, who will be doing the alloy casting for Ford that a proper Boss will require? And what's Nemak up to with alloy castings? And why is Eaton of recent showing a Ford modular 4V head casting right next to a TVS S/C on their webpage with this caption: "Through an alliance with the Teksid Group of Turin, Italy, Eaton cylinder heads and components are being designed as an effective integrated system that meet the stringent demands of engine manufacturers?" Recall that Teksid is one of the few (some say the only) outside caster that does work for Ferarri racing and who did the early alloy modular blocks for Ford (in the same plant Ferrari uses) and are still considered by many to be the best mod alloy castings ever made. Coincidence? ...or could Eaton-Teksid be the missing link for a 4V alloy Boss?

Trans Am CID, alloy casting, chassis/mounts... if we figure out what's up with with those, this little puzzle becomes more solveable, imo. Wish I knew more about who did what for Ford on prior development.

Sorry for the stream-of-[un]consciousness <lol> -- just my way of trying to fit the pieces together.

I did notice in a relase on Ford Media a few days ago that SVT is alive and well and is presently developing two new vehicles: one a truck(!) and one a car. Certainly, the Mach would not require much SVT work, but the Boss or the GR-1 sure would.

Dan

Ok done some research and found out that this new model will be like the 1982-1986 engines:

-2.3L i4- 145hp turbocharged

-2.3L i4- 175hp turbocharged

Ford will be using an I-4 Turbo charged enging and also be using the SVO name again!!!!

Also the next all new mustang will be a retro Mustang II which is my fav....

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/fox-body-mustang-history.html

Dan

Ok done some research and found out that this new model will be like the 1982-1986 engines:

Ford will be using an I-4 Turbo charged enging and also be using the SVO name again!!!!

post-8931-1180270933_thumb.jpg

post-8931-1180270933_thumb.jpg

:eek5:

I think my Boss looks allot better

Hey, 05Boss -- WELCOME! who makes the engine dress-up pieces. The engine cover looks like a painted FRP piece [?] but the side covers I've never seen before.

---

Carnut :finger: penalty: 15 yards :hysterical: ragging on new poster with under 10 posts... :hysterical2:

;-)

Hey, 05Boss -- WELCOME! who makes the engine dress-up pieces. The engine cover looks like a painted FRP piece [?] but the side covers I've never seen before.

---

Carnut :finger: penalty: 15 yards :hysterical: ragging on new poster with under 10 posts... :hysterical2:

;-)

Pooper made me do it :sandbox:

Lets face it, people bought the Boss Mustangs mainly because of performance,,, I don't give a rats butt if the interior and such is different... I don't care if it has Boss stitched in the seats...

It must have a functional hood scoop, it must look MEAN, and it by God better run better than anything yet produced...

If it's gonna carry on the name, it must carry on it's legacy... HANDS Down...

Shed some weight, put on a fiberglass / Aluminum front end / Naturally aspirated 400 HP minimum.. NO SUPERCHARGERS / TURBOS's NATURALLY ASPIRATED I SAY....

Make all the above crap optional equip, but give us a limited run of a Massive HP / Torque monster with Boss stripes that mimic the originals and change every year they offer it......

Musclford

Thanks. I was hoping for the fully fuctional shaker to be a factory installed item.

For some strange reason, this is my vision of a 2009 Boss Mustang...

2007GalpinMustangBoss30229.jpg

JB

;-) yeah, Jesse, Galpin sure did a nice job on that ...now all we need is one that can pass emissions ;)

It was gorgeous (except for the wheels, imo) and the shaker is functional ...as shown at SEMA '06:

post-4902-1180491556_thumb.jpg post-4902-1180491572_thumb.jpgpost-4902-1180491602_thumb.jpg post-4902-1180491614_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1180491556_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1180491572_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1180491602_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1180491614_thumb.jpg

;-) yeah, Jesse, Galpin sure did a nice job on that ...now all we need is one that can pass emissions ;)

It was gorgeous (except for the wheels, imo) and the shaker is functional ...as shown at SEMA '06:

post-4902-1180491556_thumb.jpg post-4902-1180491572_thumb.jpgpost-4902-1180491602_thumb.jpg post-4902-1180491614_thumb.jpg

That definately is better than the "potential" spy shots...

Can we have a naturally aspirated engine though.. The vette can do it, why can't we?

Musclford

Lets face it, people bought the Boss Mustangs mainly because of performance,,, I don't give a rats butt if the interior and such is different... I don't care if it has Boss stitched in the seats...

It must have a functional hood scoop, it must look MEAN, and it by God better run better than anything yet produced...

If it's gonna carry on the name, it must carry on it's legacy... HANDS Down...

Shed some weight, put on a fiberglass / Aluminum front end / Naturally aspirated 400 HP minimum.. NO SUPERCHARGERS / TURBOS's NATURALLY ASPIRATED I SAY....

Make all the above crap optional equip, but give us a limited run of a Massive HP / Torque monster with Boss stripes that mimic the originals and change every year they offer it......

Musclford

Amen!! Glad to have another member of the "Boss club". :yup:

Totally agree, the Boss is all about performance. A Boss Mustang should have a clean, mean appearance (see the PJ Saleen) with a lower curb weight (3,400 lbs with a full load of fuel would be ideal), at least 400 Naturally Aspirated HP under the hood (no artifical aspiration here), a redline around 6,500 - 7,000 rpms, a tight 6 spd transmission, massive brakes and (hopefully) an IRS or at least a Watts link like the PJ Saleen.

Ford can ditch the extra "creature comforts" on the Boss, no leather seats, Mach-anything stereo (I like my music singing 8 cylinder NA harmony) or any other weight-adding optiions - I'd even take manual windows if it would save a few pounds.

midwest autogear makes the engine pieces

Who did the stripes on your car? Vinyl or paint? They look like the kit from Auto Trim Design which are my leading favorite right now for the stripes I'm going to put on my Grabber.

ATD?

Who did the stripes on your car? Vinyl or paint? They look like the kit from Auto Trim Design which are my leading favorite right now for the stripes I'm going to put on my Grabber.

ATD?

Welcome to SU, Raven!!! have fun!!

Dan

Welcome to SU, Raven!!! have fun!!

Dan

Thank you Dan! Nice of you to welcome me. Like most Mustang fans, I belong to several great Mustang sites and am really happy to have found this one.

Here's a pic of my '07 GT Grabber Orange...

250574261.jpg

Archived