TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I Install The Front Air Dam On My New 2014 Vert?

I just replaced my 2011 GT500 with a 2014 white, blue stripe GT500 convertible. So as the header states, should I install the front air dam that came with the SVT pkg. with the car; which goes below the front splitter? How much ground clearance is there, when it's installed? Does it hit the ground going up or down a steep hill, speed bumps etc.? When it is installed, does it give the car a better image? How functional is the air dam? Thank you for your advice.

I just replaced my 2011 GT500 with a 2014 white, blue stripe GT500 convertible. So as the header states, should I install the front air dam that came with the SVT pkg. with the car; which goes below the front splitter? How much ground clearance is there, when it's installed? Does it hit the ground going up or down a steep hill, speed bumps etc.? When it is installed, does it give the car a better image? How functional is the air dam? Thank you for your advice.

Congrats on your new ride! You're probably the best one to answer your questions, based on your driving environment/habits. FWIW, however, my experience/opinion is as follows:

- The splitter is standard equipment on all 2013/2014 GT500s, without regard for whether they're Performance Pack or Track Pack cars

- Whether you install yours is a matter of personal preference, along with driving conditions and driving style

- Mine provides just over 5" of clearance, on level ground with stock tire sizes

- It CAN take damage when driving in areas with road crowning, speed bumps, steep inclines/curbs, etc. Additional caution is definitely required.

- Image is all a matter of personal preference. I like the look the splitter provides, while other don't.

- It's effective at increasing front-end down force, especially at high speeds. Because of our inability to push the limit in our cars, most of us will never actually NEED it.

I have mine still in the packaging. My car will see a few drag strip days as well as some high speed 1/2 mile roll racing events. For most of these events, I will be trailering my car and will keep the splitter off while loading and unloading the car on my trailer. For the high speed runs, I will put the splitter on as it can only help with the downforce at 150mph plus. After all, SVT says that the splitter is required to hit the claimed 200mph stock that these cars are supposed to do.

- It's effective at increasing front-end down force, especially at high speeds. Because of our inability to push the limit in our cars, most of us will never actually NEED it.

I'm in Mojave CA right now finishing up my weekend at the Mojave Mile LSR event. When I ran here in October I forgot my air dam at home so I ran without it. This time I brought it along and added it after unloading from my hauler. I removed my side view mirrors and added Cobra Jet mirror delete plates, removed my Quarter Window Scoops and antenna and added the 2013/14 air dam.

I ran my personal best of 182.7 mph, up from 171 mph in October.

I can't attribute it *all* to the air dam but it certainly played a part in a 12 mph gain.

Phill

Mine came installed from the dealership where it had sat on the showroom floor for a few months. Sure enough it scrapped pulling into my driveway and got a big scrap in it on day one. I have to come in at a nearly 45-degree angle but even that is not enough sometimes. I'll probably buy another lower piece in the future but won't install it for daily driving.

I drove without mine at the Texas Mile, and had no stability issues at all. I ran a 180.7 in a stiff headwind at 85F high humidity. Last October my best was a 176.6 without it, a 174 with it. Your results may vary, and driving 200mph is much different than 185 or 190 from feedback from other guys that have done it.

Thank you everybody for your input I really appreciate it. After much going back and forth I put it on. I do have a level driveway, and after seeing some of your pictures I like the look it gives. Hopefully it is not a mistake, but as Thomas L says it's only plastic! :)

I have mine on. It is a sacrificial anode...& protects the regular air dam from being scratched. I'll probably buy an extra & just hold onto it.

Ya know, that's a real good way to look at it. I just replaced my OE chin splitter at just under 300 bucks (actually $300+ after buying a bag of TEN bolts & tax) but I only paid ~$120 for the 2013 air dam extension. That means I can eat three of those and call it even vs one OEM splitter.

And yeah, it LOOKS mean & nasty too.

Now for a set of '13/'14 open grilles!

Phill

I put the '13/'14 grills and splitter with extensions on mine.

I really like the look, but I scrape it all the time.

My car is my daily driver and I scrape going in and out of driveways regularly. I'm stock ride height with stock size tires. It clears MOST parking lot bump stops, not all. So I've whacked it on those a couple of times.

I figure, once it looks crummy enough, I'll either replace it (and maybe get a second for show purposes) or just remove it altogether.

is the airdam the same one that came stock on the 2010??If so imgood,but if is lower than the 10 im not

It adds on to the bottom of the '10 so makes it lower.

Phill

I cannot count the number of times I have scraped. I just sand the rough bits smooth again. I decided from day 1 it will be a piece I buy each year. I bought one 5 days after I picked up the car and it will go on soon and the next will be in the queue.

Mine is sitting in my garage. Too much of a PITA. Hits every parking stop and road dip.

Hey Phill you should add to your sig. It's too short. :lol:

I just bought some more stuff from Shelby during the Bash so your wish is my command!

Phill

• 3 weeks later...

Archived